Skip to content
BLOOD SUGAR WENT SKY HIGH - WHAT TO DO?
damondj posted:
I stopped taking my count about 4 months ago and have been eating alot of sugar free cakes and raisin bread along with other foods. I've been feeling real tired lately and the urine smells fruity so I decided to test my blood today.... and it read 262... my doc is on vacation for this week and I'm trying to figure out what to eat to bring this down. I'm on Glucovance 1000mg twice a day plus Januvia 100mg in the morning. The 262 count was after taking a walk and only eating some Wheaties in the morning so it must have been higher yesterday... I'm trying to figure out what to eat right now that will help lower the count. Needless to say I'm upset... any ideas and do any of you ever get counts that high?

damondj responded:
Also, I've been drinking Glucerna and eating sugar free Smuckers Jam and sugar free Ice Cream...This may have driven it up but not sure.... what to eat now as I'm hungry...

arealgijoe responded:
FIRST.......w/blood sugar over about 240/250 DO NOT exercise, it can make things WORSE!

Furitly odor can me a sign of KEYTONES and lead to DKA!

Sugar FREE does NOT mean callorie/carb free. IMO some of that stuff is worse than the real-thing.

DRINK WATER.... that will help dilute teh high BS and keytones, if any.

DO CALL YOUR DOCTOR ASAP...

Gomer

damondj replied to arealgijoe's response:
What happens if I exercise?

xring responded:
I know everyone has different opinions, but I'd say a walk would be a good way to lower blood sugar up to 350. I think that would be a better idea than inactivity. Note I said walk, not running or anything strenuous.

Eating will not bring down blood sugar, eating brings it up. Also drink lots of water. Your body tries to get rid of the excess sugar by stealing water from other tissues to flush the sugar out, so drink more water to make the job easier & prevent dehydration.

I also would not be eating sugar free cakes or raisin bread. Sugar isn't the only thing in cake or bread that raises blood sugar; the flour also raises it.

xring replied to xring's response:
Diamondj, one other point.

262 is too high but not "sky high."

dianer01 responded:
damondj:

I would be laying off any bread or products labled sugar free. They often have almost as many carbs as the regular product. I would also avoid pasta, potatoes and rice right now. Stick with veggies, salads and lean protien. Maybe some nuts for a snack.

Hydration is important as is some mild exercise.

It may be time to do a refresher course with a dietician or CDE.

flutetooter responded:
Try real food, and not much of it instead of chemical imitations of food which contain who knows what!

Drink lots of water to keep hydrated, and lean meats and fresh or frozen veggies such as green beans, yellow squash, spinach, salads. Eat eggs and lean meat for breakfast and a small amount of whole grain bread. Dry breakfast cereals are loaded with quick carbs that spike you blood glucose, and raisin bread has raisins in it of course and they contain lots of quick sugars.

You are on some pretty powerful drugs that cause your pancreas to put out more insulin, among other effects. That can burn your pancreas beta cells out in no time if you don't help with a diet that contains less carbohydrates. Tell your doctor immediately and also tell him that you need help with a dietician and an exercise plan.

You are on a good path to disaster right now. What was the reason for your failing to take you fasting sugars for so long?

damondj replied to flutetooter's response:
Honestly, I stopped taking readings out of stupidity thinking what I don't know won't hurt. That was after one good reading a while back. That was really stupid... I could sense recently it was getting high but was shocked at the reading I got. Now its stress that will drive it higher. I was diagnosed in 1996 and its been a roller coaster ride ever since. One time my A1c would be 7.2 and the next test would be 9.1 and then I'd get down to 7.0 but the worse was 13.1.... my last was 7.4 but this test coming up will be bad.... real bad. I'm trying to avoid the needle and I'm sure if I can maintain a good diet I hopefully can get it down.... but possibly my pancreatis is getting shot over the ups and downs.... My problem is I love sweets which is why I went the SUGAR FREE route but in truth I think those things are my problem. Anybody else getting readings of 262 or have had those readings and got it down through diet?

phototaker replied to damondj's response:
Okay, this is a good wake-up call for you. You must start being serious now, or you're going to have (or have already)some troublesome consequences. You HAVE to change "in your mind" your whole thoughts about eating or you will have loss of sight, heart problems, neuropathy(pain in your legs) or worse.

It's not too late to get back on track with good eating. I also was a sweet eater. There are many other things you can do for a sweet tooth.

First, start being strict right away, protein, vegetables, and salad fixings for now. You can have walnuts and almonds with 1/2 an apple or some melon. Don't overdo the fruit, but it's certainly a better choice than the sugar free cookies, cake, etc. If you look at those sugar free candies, they're full of carbs, too. Try to keep your carb levels under 40-45 for a meal, so you don't go high. Later on, you can try a sugar free chocolate pudding cup or the no sugar added Dryer's ice cream, but only if you can stick to a small serving. If not, don't have it in the house. I've been eating blueberries and strawberries, just a few, with Lite Cool Whip. That seems to work for me.

Good luck! Drink lots of water now. I don't think walking slowly will hurt anything. Keep checking your blood sugar levels and let us know how you're doing tomorrow.

Once your sugar levels are down, start an exercise routine. That's important too.

Don't beat yourself up. Just start over.

amanda2581 replied to xring's response:
IMO I eat a piece of chedder cheese or a can of potted meat and mine will drop!I know wierd I also try to walk around the house also the water.slipper

phototaker responded:
How is your blood sugar count this morning, Damondj?

When I got back from my trip, and not doing any exercise, I saw a tad higher numbers in the morning. They're just starting to even out more now. I didn't want to exercise until my feet got back to normal, which they are now. I'll start swimming tomorrow again.
That should help me jump start my exercise again.

auriga1 replied to damondj's response:
In answer to your question, damondj, no I have not been able to get a high reading down strictly by diet. But that is just me.

As xring said, try some walking for 35-45 minutes with plenty of water. Don't do anything too strenous. Initially, your BS will be higher after exercise, but it comes down and stays down if you don't eat a lot of carbs. It is very important to stay hydrated, not just when you get a high reading, but at all times.

Sugar free doesn't mean carb free. Watch your labels closely. Invest in a carb counter. Has your doctor and/or dietician mentioned to you how many carbs per meal you are supposed to stick to? Flute said it quite succinctly. See if you can follow those guidelines.

My worst A1C was like yours: 13.2. It came down with a drastic drop in carbohydrate intake and exercise. And, yes, I do take insulin. Watching my carbs, exercising and insulin have dropped my A1C to 6.2 (the last one.)

See if you can write down everything you eat along with the carbohydrate count in each of those foods. Take your blood sugar readings often and write those down. This way, you can see how foods affect your blood sugars. Having diabetes means you can't stick your head in the sand. You have to be careful. Your A1C's and blood sugars are all over the place. This is called uncontrolled diabetes. You don't want that. That's the label they stuck in my medical record. "Uncontrolled diabetes." It's gotten much, much better with healthier eating habits and being physically active.

damondj replied to auriga1's response:
Its not easy... thought I had it going down when I got a reading of 163 from 262 but ate hardly anything and it jumped back to an even 200. I have to eat but should I stop eating until I get it down around 140 and then start eating three small meals a day with a small snack. Or can I eat small meals now and expect it to go down? I started drinking a lot of water but will stopping eating help? I've got to get this down....

DavidHueben replied to damondj's response:
No, you should not stop eating. You need to seek some help from a professional who can help you learn how to eat correctly and control your blood glucose better.

DMH
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that is bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.