Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Monday Check-in
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
How was your weekend and how's the week shaping up?

I had a fun time on Saturday with my family as we celebrated my older son's birthday. It's always really great to see the joy my aging parents get in hanging out with their great-grandchildren. Sunday I took it easier as last week was pretty demanding and the coming week will likely be as well.

It's hurricane season so I'm wondering if you live where hurricanes are a concern. Have you ever been in a hurricane? Whereabouts in the country do you live and what are the major weather concerns for you?

DavidHueben responded:
I didn't do anything special this weekend. On Saturday, I mowed the backyard and then made tacos and watched college football until bedtime.

On Sunday, I went to early Mass and then came home and watched NFL games all day.

I have no plans for the week ahead.

When I lived in Houston, I experienced Hurricane Alicia in 1983. It was a scary experience. Even though we were on the "dirty side" of the storm, we still experienced a couple of blown out windows and some minor flooding.

David
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that is bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

phototaker responded:
My weekend was so much fun, but I've already mentioned it elsewhere here. Sat. was the UJam class and Sunday, I got together with two special friends to go to an Art & Wine Festival.
I got some really neat photos from that one of Tie Dye Shirts and yellow sunflowers they were giving away. The best part was just gabbing and laughing with my friends. It was supposed to rain,but it never did.

Where I live, we have earthquakes and fires. We've had a few in my town, as I'm right on the fault. I've only had three big scares on that in 27 years, two with earthquakes, and one with a fire that wasn't really close, but you had to keep your windows closed from the smoke. What I thought was interesting after being on a private blog with people from all over is that EVERYONE has something going on where they live, ice storms, tornadoes, hail, hurricanes, floods, fires, extreme heat, extreme cold, volcano eruptions, etc. So, I'm perfectly happy where I am right now.

rebitzman responded:
wasn't planning on fasting for Yom Kippur - having been told it wasn't safe for a diabetic to do so, but because of poor planning (as in - I SHOULD have scheduled my physical for AFTER Yom Kippur) I found out that I am in good control of my diabetes (even though I .........horrors!........used meds at the beginning - even though I eat.....gasp!.....meat from time to time) and there was nothing to prevent me from participating in the fast.

Tested several times durning the day - never went above 90 or below 80, so perhaps the doctor knows what he is taking about.

Good control (for those curious) means and A1C of under 5 (it was 10.1 last November) and weight of 228.5 pounds (285 in November).*

*My results not typical of all diabetics - please see your healthcare provider and dietician to set up a plan that will work for you.

rebitzman responded:
To part 2 of your question - I am in Wisconsin. Hurricanes aren't really much of a problem here. (Neither are sharks)

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to DavidHueben's response:
I've never been in an official hurricane, David, but some of our major windstorms with rain are scary enough (downed trees, power outages, flooding). I really can't even imagine what it's like to be in one, even on the 'dirty side'.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to phototaker's response:
Earthquakes and fires here, too, Phototaker. And I agree.... everyone's got something.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to rebitzman's response:
Glad it all went well, Rebitzman. Congrats on how you're doing!

No sharks in Wisconsin? But then you get the brutal cold winters. I love snow but don't like it for weeks or months at a time.

krhudson responded:
My sig other was out of town so I had quiet time and my poodle still has a lump/sore under his eye so had to take him in to the Dr. again.

I had him on oral meds for almost 3 weeks and the sore healed very well and then the other day it swelled up like half a marble on the far side under the eye. The Dr. said we would watch it again and to use warm compress.

His new skin their was stretched to the hilt and my poodle bumped my hand with his head while he was restless about the newness of the warm compress. By bumping my hand, the sore broke open. It was ready to do that but gee, so fast.

The blood drained, no infection from what I can see so for now I will keep the compresses going to open the vessels and let the blood come out or flow back into his system.

If we find the sore is infected, the next step will be a biopsy to see what bacteria specifically is getting him so we can use another med. So far I am not detecting infection and the swelling is down in half. Not looking bad. I will give it until Friday.

His newer skin from when it first healed may have been a thin top layer and healed from outside in rather than inside out. I am thinking this could be the final healing. It was a fairly deep wound that the Dr. thinks their is a lump underneath that is active. Older poodles get lumps and bumps all over. This one is playing havoc on the old guy. He is on a topical antibiotic like Neosporin for humans.

Otherwise, I did my workouts and ate correctly and the Vikings lost which was a big disappointment.

The weather here is about to cool. We just mainly have fires in Nevada and flash floods can happen here but have not been a big issue for a few years now.

I was glad to get out from potential earthquakes in Ca. We would maybe here, get a touch of movement for a Southern Ca. earthquake but very rare.

Glad you had fun over the weekend Caprice!

krhudson

laura2gemini2 responded:
This weekend I started on my pre-bariatric surgery diet. Im on a very very low carb high protein 650 cal/day diet of liquids. My DH is trying so hard not to eat normal food around me, and my stomach's been growling.

I'm in Ohio so usually we dont have hurricanes, but we have been hit with 1 "tropical storm". When Ike went through, all of our electricians went to Texas to help them, but they didnt realize that there would still be high winds to hit my state. We were without power for over a week until all the AEP workers came back.

Lately we've had some tornado warnings, and I've been hiding under my desk at work.

mhall6252 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
I'm not sure hiding under your desk would provide much protection from a tornado. You might consider the bathroom facilities - they are usually structurally strong and don't have exterior windows.

Good luck with your pre-surgery diet.

Michelle

arealgijoe responded:
I RODE mean Jeane (sp) back when the foursome hit Fla a few years back. That was my first, only and hope last one that I actually RIDE! It was supposed/predicted to turn north beofe it hit the atlantic coast, then I was supposed to turn north after it hit the coast, et cetc etc, but she kept marching straight across towrd Tampa, I was in lakeland.

Lost power that night, used a portable TV and radio (held to ear so I could hear over the wind). Coud not safely go outside till mid afternoon the next day, no sleep of course. I was lucky got power back in a day, many went over a week.

My WEEK;

Tue its a dinner/ MS doc speaker about 1hr away, Hey I will travel for a FREE steak dinner(sponsored by Shared solutions/Copaxone). Thurs I have an apt with my ankle ortho, see if my AFOs need updating etc.

Well time to run and shoot up, time for my Copaxone shot and past time I should do my evening Lantus.

Gomer sezs Ciao, my fav diet is the C food diet, C food, eat food.....lol

krhudson replied to laura2gemini2's response:
I am assuming no lower level basement at work? Be careful over there.

krhudson

krhudson replied to arealgijoe's response:
Gomer, My Lantus time to in a few minutes! Glad you made it through the nasty storm that year. Good luck with your appointments. Steak sounds good right now. Not sure what to do with my constant hunger feeling. Is that a side effect of Lantus? I am sure my calories are good in a day and I get 4 oz. of protein each meal and a decent amount of veggies and fruit. My stomach growls most of the time. My energy is decent from my exercise but still feel hungry.

krhudson

MSUphysicsFRIB replied to rebitzman's response:
How were your blood sugars the day after the fast? Did they rise a lot when you first broke the fast?

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.