Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
diabetes cause missed periods?
An_202736 posted:
does diabetes cause you to miss your periods?

MSUphysicsFRIB responded:
If someone is a Type II diabetic with high insulin levels (believe it or not, many Type II diabetics have abnormally high insulin levels), then they could have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). High insulin levels cause the ovaries to produce excess androgens (male hormones), which can result in acne, hair loss (from head), hirsutism, belly fat, and/or irregular periods.

I've heard that Type I diabetics (who DON'T generally have insulin resistance or high insulin levels) might miss periods, too. Maybe one of the Type I's on the forum could fill you in.

seeshell85 replied to MSUphysicsFRIB's response:
what can you do to stop this?

anon123567 responded:
Ive been type 1 diabetic for 22 years and have never missed a period (except when I was pregnant)

lots of things can cause a missed period, best to get it checked out

MSUphysicsFRIB replied to seeshell85's response:
First (if you have insurance), you should get checked out by a doctor. They can check you for diabetes, and they can also check your insulin and androgen levels. Also, they can do an ultrasound on you to check for cysts on your ovaries, but not everyone with PCOS has cysts.

If you do have PCOS, there are good treatment options. A good treatment plan involves getting at the root cause--insulin resistance--as well as treating the symptoms, as needed. To lower insulin levels and increase insulin sensitivity, a women should exercise regularly and eat a low-glycemic diet. Also, Metformin is commonly prescribed to help treat PCOS because it improves insulin sensitivity and lowers insulin levels.

Usually, the symptoms of PCOS (acne, belly fat, scalp hair loss, hirsutism (unwelcome hair growth), and irregular periods) will go away once the insulin levels are corrected. However, some women with PCOS also benefit from drugs that directly affect sex hormone levels, such as birth control pills that help with acne (e.g. Yasmin) or androgen blockers (spironolactone). Also, laser hair removal can remove the unwanted hair (insurance doesn't cover this, as far as I know), and acne creams can help with acne.

PCOS can be stopped in its tracks. I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 18. I had gone without a period for 9 months, and I had really bad acne. I did not yet have unusual hair growth, hair loss, or weight gain. They did not find any cysts during the ultrasound. I was diagnosed with prediabetes at the same time. They put me on Metformin, Yasmin, and spironolactone. I also started eating a higher fat, higher protein, lower carb diet (I had been vegan), and doing resistance training (I had mostly been doing aerobic exercise).
My skin is now clear, and I still don't have a problem with belly fat or hirsutism, so I think the PCOS was arrested in its tracks (as was the prediabetes--I still haven't developed full-blown diabetes).

I started weaning off the spironolactone in the spring, and so far I haven't developed acne or hirsutism, so I don't think I need it anymore (in fact, I might have never needed it; the Metformin, diet, and exercise might have corrected everything).

My doctor did not check my insulin or androgen levels before they initiated treatment, which seems odd. In fact, I don't think my insulin levels have ever been tested. My androgen levels were tested every year after the treatment was started, and they've been normal, but it would have been good if they took a baseline.

If I were you, I would try diet and exercise first, unless your doctor can show you that your insulin and androgen levels are off the charts. If I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have started all of the meds before more tests were done. Oh well.

I like this book: http://www.amazon.com/Glucose-Revolution-Guide-Living-ebook/dp/B001F0RLSS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287026500&sr=8-2-fkmr1

It explains the glycemic index very well.

The author of the book points out that the diet that is healthy for women with PCOS is also healthy for almost everyone else! So even if you haven't been diagnosed with PCOS, it won't hurt to try the diet (and the "diet" is not a strict diet. the book basically gives some guidelines that aren't too hard to follow at all, once you know what you have to do).

If you don't have insurance, keep in mind that many women with PCOS are able to "cure" themselves with diet and exercise alone. But a doctor could help you make sure it's PCOS, and not something else.

Hellokitty91288 replied to MSUphysicsFRIB's response:
Well im type 1 diabetics it thats why i miss periods like a mouth r 2

nwsmom replied to Hellokitty91288's response:
Hellokitty01288, have you been evaluated by a good gynecologist? There are many causes for missing a period or two, most of them unrelated to diabetes.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.