Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Will 1 in 3 really have diabetes in 2050?
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
Currently about 1 in 10 Americans have diabetes. This is about a 10-fold increase in diabetes over the past 50 years.

Now the Centers for Disease Control projects about 1 in 3 Americans will have diabetes by the year 2050 if the current trends continue. A more conservative estimate under different assumptions projects 1 in 5 or 20% of the population will have it then.

Do you believe this 1 in 3 figure will become true? Can you imagine what things will be like if it is indeed true?

Michael Dansinger, MD
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Here's the link to the WebMD article on this topic...

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20101021/diabetes-could-surge-in-us-by-2050

krhudson responded:
I would say we give Diabetes increased attention as part of the artical suggests. Maximum awareness.

Many people have a relative or friend that already struggles with Diabetes whether type 1 or 2 and many insurance companies have helped with contact nurses to answer questions and to get very involved.

Hospitals sometimes have a program for Diabetes education and dietary education. I think we are covering it well now but still room for improvement.

So much denial out there from people that are walking the line that they do not sense the urgency of what they need to do to avoid type 2 diabetes.

Is their an answer besides surgery to remove weight? Or how to motivate a person to optimum health and wellness? I wish their was. People must like themselves enough to make the effort.

Their are so many sourses available now to reseach Diabetes.

I really think that many people are in denial and not accepting the fact that they are in a high risk catagory. They wait for something bad to happen and then they are down and out while learning how to deal with it when really, taking the preventative steps right when they learn they are at high risk for it or the fastings and A1Cs were marginal they can save themselves much grief and possible avoid the disease all together, at least a certain percentage could and then we would not have the 1 in 3 or 1 in 5 number and we can save medical costs down the line. It will continue to sky rocket through the ceiling.

krhudson

Manoj_in_Bangalore responded:
I believe this can be a reality if the current trend of treating symptoms instead of treating the root causes continues.

It is equally important to crackdown on the pharmaceutical and food industries, who have made all the negative difference in the past 50 years.

phototaker responded:
I think this could be looked at a few ways. I know my health care facility has classes now for pre-diabetics. Will these people spend the money to attend the classes, or have the money and time to do this, I don't know.

I also believe more people have assess to computers, and look things up there more, making for better awareness. Will they seek out a doctor from doing this, I don't know. Will they self diagnose and medicate and not go to the doctor? Who knows?

Yes, I do believe more and more people are taking the fast food route, but then again, more and more are beginning to become more health conscious. I couldn't tell you what will win out, but I'm hoping there will be more conscious behavior and people will do what's better for them.

If people have a food addiction and just can't do the right thing for themselves, they must seek therapy or other help to learn "WHY" food is so important that they need to soothe with this. If they find out why they're using food for comfort, maybe they can take care of their bodies more.

Sometimes people just eat from boredom, sadness, or loneliness. Teaching them to make more healthy choices and learning why they're eating more than they should is the key.

Educating children and families about healthier choices is one answer for the future to preventing diabetes.

jambajuice responded:
All the research dollars are going towards a cure for cancer and everything else runs a sloppy second...

Lifestyle Diseases don't kill...they erode. Both people and resources...

At their present pace, the cost of Alz and T2 care (not cancer) will bankrupt our medical care systems well before 2050 rolls around...

As long as there are soldiers, both men and women, putting their lives on the line to protect mine, the very least I can do for this great nation is lead a healthy life.

Is that too much for our government to ask?

betaquartz replied to jambajuice's response:
I think the cure is already here, we just don't recognize it as such. It seems like to me if a low carb, high fiber responsibly healthy diet balance with exercise can reverse T2, why can't it be the preventive vaccine for avoiding it except in the case of other complications?

rubystar2 replied to betaquartz's response:
I agree with you, Betaquartz. I think low carb, high fiber predominantly plant based diet would prevent most cases of Type II diabetes.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

cookiedog replied to betaquartz's response:
I agree with your diet recommendations. All three of my 20 something children eat pretty healthy and are thin.

They absolutely don't worry about getting diabetes. They eat healthy because that is the lifestyle we raised them in, they like trendy restaurants which tend to avoid deep frying stuff and they like the way their clothes look when they are slim.

If you asked my kids what diseases they are most concerned about developing in their older years, their first concern would be heart disease. (Strong family history on both sides.)Then I think they would say cancer avoidance. And finally I would guess alzheimers disease.

Even though I have had diabetes since the late 90s, I don't think it ever enters their mind they could develop it.

I am not sure if that is a function of lack of education or what. One of my kids has a masters in public health from Johns Hopkins but she works with folks literally starving from malnutrition in Africa. Obesity is just not an issue for them.

However, I have relatives who are walking ads for diabetes development. I have tried to gently talk with a couple of cousins with poor eating habits. Folks just don't think it will happen to them.

Sort of like the way smokers think they will be spared lung cancer and emphasema.

betaquartz replied to cookiedog's response:
It has to start with the children, healthy habits like unhealthy ones are hard to break. My daughter has raised my gd on a diet of mostly vegetables, whole grain, fish, and tofu up until a few years ago. GD has started to eat lean meats-like chicken and fish, and some red meat. However, most of the time she will opt for the tofu, the fish, over other proteins. She will opt for the veggies instead of the fries. She does like ice cream, but only gets it infrequently and occasionally pumpkin pie or her GMa's apple pie. I think if they are raised to eat healthy, it will be difficult for them to eat poorly in the long run.

jambajuice replied to betaquartz's response:
Agreed!

It has to start with children,...

but....

"...Childhood obesity has reached epidemic proportions; its rate has more than tripled in the past 30 years. More than 30 percent of American children ages 2 to 19 are overweight or obese, according to the White House Task Force on Childhood Obesity report.

"...Although 87 percent of women believe that there is a parental role in the cycle of obesity, only 28 percent assign any responsibility to themselves..."

"... from Harvard Medical Study...One in ten women surveyed recognized that if she were obese in her first trimester, her obesity more than doubles her child's risk of becoming obese. 46 percent of women didn't know if there was a mother-child obesity connection in pregnancy and 11 percent felt there was no connection at all..."

"...A child has an 80% likelihood of becoming obese when both parents are obese...

You can teach healthy habits in school...

But, the child must live it home.

In other words, one generation of parents (especially, mothers) have to break the cycle and provide the necessary leadership. Schools don't buy the groceries...

betaquartz replied to jambajuice's response:
Agreed, the parents must lead the way, and some do. Others regretfully put their children in harms way by starting their day with 2 or three pop tarts and a large glass of orange juice-conveniently deadly!

arealgijoe responded:
Suprise??????? NO.

My oldest son started having boarderline DM problems in his 20s. He is fighting to stay off meds and his wife cooks GOOD healthy food. Her mother was diabetic.

My daughter has been spared, so far. her father in-law is also diabetic.

My mother and her father, both diabetic, he died from diabetes at a young age, when my mother was a toddler.

My wife's brother and mother were both diabetic.

Diabetes is RAMPANT in our falilies.

Gomer

damondj replied to arealgijoe's response:
This is great news for the Pharmaceutical Companies as we all know it is a BIG business. Also for the American Diabetes Association which will continue to bring in big bucks to fight this disease... and pay there execs. Obviously these companies will never find a cure.... they can not afford to find a cure. Need I say more?

arealgijoe replied to damondj's response:
Oh but Diamond......There is HUGE money in finding a cure for any disease..as long as they do not actually find a cure. If BIG pharma/research held any other carrot out, they would go broke fast.

Health care in this country has been a major problem in general for decades. The Rs aka CONSERVATIVES have been working overtime to insure it continues. The smoke and mirrors Part-D drug plan is one example. It makes it ILLEGAL for medicare to contract for bulk rates/discounts, WHO benifits...the DRUG COMPANYS! So isntead of helping US as much as it should, it helps insure drug prices go HIGHer not lower.

MONEY interests have far too big a role in our health care. My endo Rx was and is for Humalog, my ins co REFUSES to cover humalog..WHY..because they have a DEAL with the competitor.

Back when I started insulin decades ago a vial cost $6.06, today its $99 and a box of humalog pens are about $200. Even taking into account for inflation, thats ROBERY.

Gomer

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.