Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
diabete and low carb or sugar free beer
jaybow posted:
hello,
I am T2. I recently tasted a sugar free beer. I know it is better for me not to drink alcohol. But sometime I do. Am I better with a sugar free beer?
Jay
FirstPrevious12NextLast

krhudson responded:
Ask your Nutritionist and Dr. if you can figure out a way to add a sugar free beer to your plan. I think you are allowed one a day max if it can be fit into the carb counting plan.

Good going on the sugar free idea.

Always best to avoid alcohol and only have it as a treat occasionally. I am a type 1 and I had a glass of wine the other night. I typically will have 1/2 glass with the Saturday night meal. Having the full glass went ok but really, I did not feel great the next morning. I could tell the difference. Not a hangover but just something the body probably did not really like as much as the other good things for it. I will go back to 1/2 glass if any.

krhudson

phototaker responded:
Jaybow, BE SURE to check the medicines you are taking and if you can have alcohol with them. Check online or with a pharmacist, first.

Check also to see how many carbs are in the beer.

mhall6252 responded:
I have been on metformin for many years. The patient information clearly advises patients to discuss alcohol consumption with your physician, especially binge-drinking, which can cause serious trouble when mixed with metformin.

With that said, I drink wine, beer and spirits on occasion. I never have more than two drinks in an evening, and I always eat a meal so that my liver is processing more than just the alcohol.

Without knowing your entire medical situation, it's hard for anyone here to advise you. There are other drugs you could be taking that might preclude any alcohol use. And some diabetic meds have a tendency to cause people to have low blood sugar, especially when combined with alcohol.

So call your doctor and ask the question to get the right answer. To give you a specific answer to your question and assuming you're going to have that beer anyways... yes, you are probably better off with a low carb beer.

Michelle

mhall6252 replied to phototaker's response:
Just want to let everyone know that Michelob Ultra has 2.6 GRAMS of carbs and 95 calories in a 12 ounce bottle. I'm pretty sure that most any carb-counting diet can accommodate the carb grams. The bigger issue is really about the alcohol content, interaction with any prescription meds (or acetaminophen), and the effect of lowering glucose levels if one is not careful.

Michelle

Goodlolo replied to mhall6252's response:
I occasionally drink Miller Light. It has 3.2 carbs and I find it has more flavor that Michelob Ultra.

dgbartoli0304 replied to Goodlolo's response:
The concept of "sugar-free" beer is irrelevant. That just means they don't add sugar to the brewing process. It's all about the carbs (and the issues with alcohol and diabetes and drug interaction). You will find that the grain (wheat, rice, barley) carbs in all beers have a fairly high glycemic index and probably hit the bloodstream faster than sugar would. Miller 64 and the new Budweiser Select 55 are probably the lowest carb beers commonly available.

terlizzi1227 replied to dgbartoli0304's response:
i guess so i like the sugar free ice cream and cookies how bout u

laura2gemini2 replied to terlizzi1227's response:
Sugar free ice cream and cookies can sometimes have more carbs in it than the regular stuff.

When I was first diagnosed my mom bought me some cookies that were "sugar free". Apparently they could get away with that labeling because they didnt use sugar, they used high fructose corn syrup. Me, being the impressionable 16 year old at the whole thing and ended up really really sick.

jaybow replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Thanks all. very usefull tips. I'll check it out.

fabriceprince replied to dgbartoli0304's response:
Jay, dgbartoli is right. The carbs and the glycemic index are what you need to monitor. The brewing process transforms grains in carbs. Small and medium size chains are called "sugars". Very long chains are fibers and are not digested. Small size chains are transformed by the yeast into alcohol and CO2. Untransformed medium size chains hit the glycemic index. Untransformed fibers do not. Untransformed carbs usually account for 40% of the total calories of a beer. On top of that some brewers add sugars to boost taste and drinkability.

To my knowledge the only beer with a lot of taste, only fibers, only 116 cal, a glycemic load < 1 and 6% alcohol is the Caulier sugar free beer. I don't drink often but when I do, it is a Caulier. The funny think is my wife drinks it all the time now because this beer is the most delicious light beer she knows.

jaybow replied to fabriceprince's response:
That's the one I tasted. the beer was indeed delicious. A real premium imported Belgium beer. I liked both the blonde and the brown. Am I better with that one?

goharrib replied to jaybow's response:
guys, anayone has a comparison of the calories and the carbs of beers?
where can we find the Caulier?

fabriceprince replied to goharrib's response:
Brand Brewery % Alcohol Calories Carbohydrates Per 12 oz (grams) Caulier Extra Caulier 4,2 80 0,8 Caulier blonde Caulier 6,8 116 2,3 Caulier Brown Caulier 6,8 116 2,3 Aspen Edge Adolph Coors 4.1 94 2,6 Michelob Ultra Anheuser Busch 4.1 95 2,6 Budweiser Select Anheuser Busch 4.3 99 3,1 Anheuser Busch Natural Light Anheuser Busch 4.2 95 3,2 Miller Lite Miller 4.2 96 3,2 Milwaukee's Best Light Miller 4.5 98 3,5

fabriceprince replied to goharrib's response:
goharrib,
I have a more completed excell table on comparisons should you want to. bottom line is Caulier extra is less than 1 gr carb, blonde and brune are 2.3 gr. Go to ratebeer to get taste ratings. The Caulier is rated 60 while most other light beers are close to 0. The beer is available in

Check the following link for rating and availibility: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/caulier-blonde/97490/

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.