Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
POTATOE DIET
amanda2581 posted:
What does everyone think of the man who ate just Tators for two months?He lost 7lbs. he is head of the potatoes industry apparently.was makeing a statement to Wic to give vouchers for white tators not just sweet tators.I could live on them I love them .If I had to cut all my my carbs but one it would be my beloved spud!! what carb would you keep if you could only have one all the time one choice? slipper
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DianeR01 responded:
Hi Slipper,

I think you know as well as I do, a potato diet is no more sustainable than a twinkie diet, even for someone without diabetes. Yes, he did it and got the press he was looking for.

You ask for one carb? I couldn't live from one carb as I like a good many of them. Potatoes are part of a well balanced diet in moderation and would hate to give them or any other carb up completely. I have learned to live with fewer potoato chips than in my former life.

di

xring responded:
Slipper, I think he's half baked.

Eating a favorite food constantly would probably result in it not being a favorite food any longer.
If a man yells: --YOU LIE-- in a room full of politicians, how do they know who he is talking about

amanda2581 replied to xring's response:
I know just asking if you had to give them all up but one choice which one would you keep.Just a idea for a thread interesting to see what are peoples favorites are xring you party pooper!!!LOL!

amanda2581 replied to DianeR01's response:
I agree Diane I would never go all potatoes I do not want rickets and who knows what else disease from consumeing just one food,just wanted to find out what everyones favs are.thanks for replying to slipper!

betaquartz replied to DianeR01's response:
As a T2 choice of carbs is important. Hmmmm to have that baked potato and have to take meds? Hmmmm have a few red ones and maybe not? Hmmmmm have the small amount of sweet potato and not at all. Where is the choice? At the same time when considering- I have learned to live with fewer potoato chips than in my former life. I wonder what I and others crave out of something when baked, tastes like cardboard. It takes the oil, the salt, and seasoning to make a potato chip inviting. Better off with spiced nuts. Some of the newer ones are quite good. No it doesn't have the same crunch, but get over it. In the end, I pass on the potato, the rice, and head to foods lower on the glycemic index. Is it hard, in the beginning - Yes, now, not at all

phototaker replied to amanda2581's response:
Amanda, why not ask which carb was the hardest for you to give up?

I find that I can have a "tiny" red baked potato with my dinner, although, I'm considering giving up anything with higher carbs at dinner, until I get back to my 5.8 A1C again.

The hardest thing for me to give up is bread. I still struggle with that one, as I have two slices of whole grain bread a day, one at breakfast and most times one at lunch.

phototaker replied to betaquartz's response:
Betaquartz and Diane, I used to love a small bag of baked potato chips before my diagnosis of diabetes. I CRAVE crunchy things, so I do carrots now with my 1/2 sandwich at lunch or a dill pickle, although that has a lot of sodium.

When I used to buy a big bag of baked chips, I found that I couldn't stop at just 8 chips, SO I don't buy chips anymore, UNLESS I buy a small little bag once in a while. I do still crave chips and chocolate, but doesn't mean that I buy them.

Does the cravings ever go away? Can I ever not make a run to the supermarket without avoiding certain aisles? It's hard for me and some of the rest of us.

I don't eat rice anymore either, Betaquartz. It actually wasn't one of my favorite things to eat anyhow.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
I personally try to limit rice, breads, cereal, pasta, white potatoes, sweets, and fatty meats.

Sweets like cookies and chocolate candies have been hardest to resist. Stachy foods have not been as hard for me to resist.

Top favorites I rarely eat any more:
Lasagna,
Chocolate chip cookies,
Breakfast cereal (banana nut crunch, raisin nut bran, honey bunches of oats),
Quarter pounder with cheese
Chili dogs
Stuffing
Reeses peanutbutter cups
Peanut M&M's

It isn't fair that we can't "have our cake and eat it too" but I'd rather have live in a world of freedom and choices requiring constant responsibility, than a world where one has to eat for survival.

Michael Dansinger, MD

rubystar2 replied to phototaker's response:
My downfall that spikes my blood sugar........pretzels. They just scream my name. I have to avoid them at all costs!!
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

amanda2581 replied to betaquartz's response:
It was just a fantasy ??? That what is your favorite carb basically is what I was asking everyone.I know taters are my fav and than noodles than rice.they are all nice but if I could only have one type carb in my diet I would pick tators any way you want to cook them.LOL!

amanda2581 replied to phototaker's response:
Photo I was just trying to see which carb everyone likes best and I guess I should just have not asked it that way.I wish I could change it to your ????? but too late LOL!

phototaker replied to amanda2581's response:
My problem Amanda is I have TOO many fantasies about food, and I'm trying to be realistic about healthy eating. If I start listing all the foods I think about, it would make me crazy. I now try to "think" about things I CAN eat, and make sure I have those at home. I have to talk myself through as I pass these places, telling myself I have healthy food at home ready to eat. That helps A LOT. I don't keep those foods in my house that I shouldn't eat. It makes it very difficult for me. I know other people don't struggle with this, but there might be people just like me that do. It never is easy, but I'm doing really well, and feel proud of my better food choices.

I happen to live near a LOT of fast food places. It used to be so easy to stop and pick up a chicken fijita pita or hamburger on the way home years ago. I can't do that anymore. I still have to drive by those places many times a day, every day.

I see my "fantasies" all the time, pizza, ice cream, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, EVERYPLACE I go.

I have to tell you that now that I'm exercising, my fantasy for my body is getting there, so not eating my fantasy foods has really helped out in that area. Also, my heart doctor says I'm doing really well with my heart. I guess looking at all the great things we CAN eat and how we can feel is important too.

betaquartz replied to amanda2581's response:
I guess anymore my favorite carb is a tough piece of whole grain bread, if it has olives, or garlic or some sort of herb, even better, if I can dip it in a little bit of flavored olive oil-good too. I really skip cookies, cakes, pies, etc. I do chips that are whole grain, and I count. However, I never eat them unless with salsa or guacamole. In Italy last year I had biscotti with dessert wine, that was too luscious, and I only ate about 3 1inch cubes, but I could have eaten the whole plate. No anymore, give me the touch bread with dipping sauce. Sometimes I bake my own.

auriga1 replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Too funny, Dr. D. I have two boxes of Honey Bunches of Oats in the kitchen. With almonds. Yum.

I will have some occasionally. Everyone else eats the rest.

Quarter pounder with cheese??? Never did like those. I miss the Big Mac!!!

Someone asked me a long time ago what my favorite foods were and I replied "salt, garlic and fat."

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.