Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Best time to take Metformin
linnylcm posted:
My morning numbers range from 99-116. I take 500mgms with my breakfast. Would it be better to take this med. at night? I walk an hour every day, and I am thin.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel57 responded:
While this is something you need to discuss with your doctor, I will tell you that I take my metformin at bed time now. I was taking a morning dose and a supper-time dose, but was getting very high morning numbers (dawn phenomenon) and then going low during the day. So, my doctor agreed for me to try taking my medication at bed time. My numbers are more regulated now.
Blessings, -Dave

krhudson responded:
With fasting levels like you have and if your PM numbers have been good I would not change it. Call the Dr. though to be sure. If your blood sugars are staying below 120 most of the day and while sleeping your doing well. The 99 number in the morning is better than 116 though.

let us know what you find out. Glad you are thin

krhudson

Manoj_in_Bangalore responded:
In your case the best time to take Metformin is yesterday. Not today. Not tomorrow or beyond.

cookiedog replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Again, you are advising a poster to ignore medical advice and not take a prescribed drug. That is an irresponsible thing for you to do.

You are entitled to your opinion but you should not give medical advice.

phototaker responded:
Linnylcm, always check with your doctor first. I'm curious what your A1C is presently.

I'm not on medicine and struggle with my numbers unless I am very strict "all" the time.

My advice to you is this. Do not go off your medicine, and ask your doctor about a change in time for your medicine. If you find your numbers are doing GREAT, and you feel you can be very strict, "at some point" you might be able to get off your medicine.

Some can do well this way. Some cannot,depending on your pancreas and how it's functioning. I still struggle with this, and my A1C went up this time. It's still not high, but I'm working harder to bring it down again.

Since you walk for an hour every day, this is really good. It sounds like you're at a good weight, too. Discuss all these things with your doctor.

Manoj_in_Bangalore replied to cookiedog's response:
Medical advise is deadly. It must be ignored at all costs.

betaquartz replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
I hope you never have to depend on "medical advice" for your longevity. Heaven forbid should you get a compound fracture, AIDS, MS, or even PSP. Doctors, Chiropractors, Witch Doctors, and others are the best we have, and even they don't know, but at least they are a start. An intelligent patient does not leave it all up to the Dr, but is proactive in their own health by keeping good records, knowing their bodies, taking care of themselves, and consulting intelligently with their Dr's. Never in blindness, or passive.

DavidHueben replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Medical advice is NOT deadly. To me, that seems like a very irresponsible statement.
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that is bad for you! -Tommy Smothers

rubystar2 responded:
I was told it doesn't matter when you take your metformin as long as you take it close to the same time every day.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Hi Manoj,

As others have said, providing medical advice (instead of just sharing your own experience) is inadvisable here and potentially dangerous. Please be careful about 'prescribing'. Share your own opinion without doing so in the future, please.

To Linny,

Despite this, I hope some of the good advice here (including discussing your question with your doctor) has been helpful.

auriga1 replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
How did you come up with the diagnosis of diabetes? Yourself?

linnylcm replied to phototaker's response:
Thank-you all. I will call my Dr. this morning re my question. My AIC has been 5.7 for the last three readings.

auriga1 replied to linnylcm's response:
Linnylcm, congratulations on that A1C. You seem to be doing very well. Good idea to call your doctor's office. Everyone metabolizes medication differently, so what works for one may not work for another. Only you know how your body works.

I take two insulins, one basal and the other is rapid-acting. Many people take the basal at bedtime, but my doctor prescribed taking it in the morning. It's been working very well for me. Some people even take half in the a.m. and the other in the p.m. Whatever works for one's body is the best. Nothing is cut and dry.

phototaker replied to linnylcm's response:
That A1C is awesome, Linnylcm! I could possibly see you going off medicine at some point, ONLY if you know you could be strict in your eating. I noticed that my A1C had gone up a bit, so I'm back on my stricter eating routine, (without medicine). There may be a point where I'd have to take medicine. I hope not as I have IBS which would be a problem with Metformin, as it causes some people intestinal problems. That would be my medicine of choice. That keeps me more on track, knowing this.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.