Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
any relationship of cortisone shots causing type II diabetes?
iluvlabs10 posted:
Someone from church insists he acquired type II diabetes from getting cortisone shots. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I currently get the shots for osteoarthristis in both knees. Thanks

krhudson responded:
I just checked google and searched for Cortisone Diabetes and an article did point out that some non diabetics blood sugars went up substancially after the injection.

Many Dr.'s say that the blood sugar will go back to normal after the increase. It seems that if we are Diabetic is when we are almost guaranteed we will get a bad spike in blood sugar after the injection.

I would error on the side of caution and agree that type 2 can be set off by the injection especially if a person was just around the corner from having type 2 regardless of an injection or not.

If someone had a steady blood sugar reading prior to the injection for years and years and it does not go back to normal after Cortisone, it is my opinion that the Cortisone set it off. It would be harder to believe that it was a coinsidence that a few days after the injection if the blood sugar does not stabilize to normal on a constant basis that it would not be the Cortizone and that type 2 just decided to happen.

krhudson

cookiedog replied to krhudson's response:
I have to take Prednisone for a serious autoimmune disease.
When I started the oral steroid, my rheumotologist told me I would like develop diabetes.

He had me return on the third week of usage and sure enough my BS was over 200.He sent me to an endocrinologist. The endocrinologist told me he assumed I was prediabetic prior to starting the Prednisone.

I was also overweight.

My endo told me long term steroid use often precipitates the onset of diabetes. He also said short term use of shots may elevate BS but the numbers usually return to the pre-shot level.

If my endo was correct, I am assuming the guy was already diabetic or prediabetic.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.