Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Oncue
Oncue posted:
I learned at a diabetic class that there are a few cases in which a person with diabetes 2 may be able to safely maintain an insulin reading of around 200 and never suffer from diabetic complications. The RN that taught the class told us that this fact is not widely broadcast by doctors out of fear that some patients would think that this applies to all. Can this be true in some cases?

DavidHueben responded:
Did you mean a glucose level of 200? A normal insulin level is between 5 - 20 microU per mL. Do you know the difference between insulin and glucose? If not, you should go back to the class.

David
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr

laura2gemini2 responded:
Depends on what they mean by "few". Do they mean 1 in 100 people, or 1 in 1 million people? How do you know if you are one of the "few"? I would think it's better to be safe then sorry.

mhall6252 responded:
I totally agree with Laura...you would not know until it was too late, perhaps. Do you really want to take that risk?

Michelle

davedsel57 responded:
I believe you were given false information. Someone that has a blood glucose reading (NOT insulin reading) of around 200 may not feel symptoms but is doing damage to their body. It is inevitable that the will eventually feel symptoms and experience complications like a heart attack ,stroke, eye problems, neuropathy, or worse.
Blessings, -Dave

An_202799 responded:
MAYBE, she was talking about a glucose level spiking to 200 then coming down to a more normal level???

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Hi,

I agree with the others that there must be something that you misunderstood in the nurses' information. Many scientific studies have proven that controlling one's blood glucose to less than 180 mg/dl when measured an hour after eating will help to prevent diabetes complications, regardless of type of diabetes, type 1 or 2. When I went back to school to become a nurse practitioner it was because I was working in a cardiac rehab program where many of the patient's were there because their diabetes had been poorly controlled and they were suffering the consequences in the form of heart disease. I hoped that my advanced degree would place me in the position of being able to help even a small number of people to improve their diabetes control and thus suffer fewer complications. I am one of those educators that gives people a lot of wiggle room- a transient increase in blood sugar is one thing, but it should not be a frequent thing. It doesn't matter what your A1C is, if one has a number of highs and many low to normal blood sugars, their A1C can be within good range (less than 7%). This is why your actual readings matter, especially those taken 1-2 hours after eating. Please discuss this information with your health care provider, because good blood glucose control is very important to your long-term health. Kind regards, Laurie

jambajuice responded:
"Landmine"...

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.