Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ANYTHING CHEAPER THAN JANUVIA?
damondj posted:
I just went on KEYSTONE 65 and went to the pharmacy. They want $485 for Januvia... I told them I won't pay that much. Is there any equivallent generics of equal potency that anyone knows of? I also take the generic for Glucovance but the doctor wants me to take Januvia along with it. There must be a alternative... $485 is outrageous...

phototaker responded:
Damondj, if I remember correctly you've talked about eating donuts and other sweets. You'd like an alternative. I suggest that
you save a lot of money and start being stricter with your diabetes food choices. It will cost you NOTHING, and might save your life.

davedsel57 responded:
I completely agree with Photo. Plus, it is against the rules of the WebMD communities to diagnose or give medical advice, Suggesting any medication would be included.

If you want to switch medications, you must speak with your doctor,. There is no easy or short path to health. Change your lifestyle and you will most likely become far less dependent on medication.
Blessings, -Dave

mhall6252 responded:
I had the same thought as Photo. The absolute cheapest solution is a healthy diet that reduces or eliminates your need for drugs along with an exercise program that improves your insulin sensitivity.

Michelle

cookiedog replied to mhall6252's response:
We have frequently given a certain poster here grief for recommending that a poster stop taking their medicine.

We do not know the entire medical history of a poster nor do we know what other medical factors may play into their overall health.

I don't think we should ever recommend someone not take their medicine. I think it is one thing to suggest that a poster work with their doctors and CDEs to learn to control their diabetes through diet but we are not doctors. It is a big step to suggest that someone not take the medicine they have been prescribed.

The poster may have just been DXEd and his/her doctor wants to get them stabilized before reducing or eliminating their medicine. They may be unable or unwilling to follow the dietary guidelines at this point in time.

An_202801 replied to cookiedog's response:
Cookiedog:

I did not understand anyone to say that the original poster stop taking meds. Everything I read said tighten down diet with the GOAL of reducing or eliminating meds.

phototaker replied to An_202801's response:
I agree Anon...1092... If you read through Diamonj's posts, you will see that it's hard for her to follow a good eating plan, which "could" eliminate her needing medicine down the road. No one told her to stop a medicine. She may always need medicine. What is important is looking at the issue she's facing.

No one on here is perfect, me included. I have my days where it's really very hard to stay exactly where I need to be, especially not taking medicine. I've "thought" of going on medicine, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew I could control what I had been eating even more. Some people can't. Their pancreas is not functioning well. I know I CAN at this point, so I have to be strict again, which I'm doing now. My numbers are much better, than a few weeks ago.

I have the same problem with taking cholesterol meds. Some people NEED to take these to control their numbers. I know I could even be stricter about this, too. It's difficult when you have so many different things wrong with you, BUT each of us can do it. I hear stories about people who have had transplants, and how hard it is with rejection drugs, etc. Others are in great pain, and can't even exercise. Some people are emotional eaters, and find it difficult to control themselves. I have to work really hard on this one, and occasionally fall prey to the "holiday" feelings. It's NO EXCUSE, but I do understand how difficult it is for some people.

Each of us have to face facts and see what damage we're doing to our bodies. For some, it's a snap to do all the right things, but for others it's a struggle.

I've worked hard to make it easier, but I'd be the first to admit I'm not perfect.

I listened to an actress on Oprah today talk about her problems with food, having anorexia and bulimia. She said she doesn't like to call working out exercise, but more she tries to be "active" doing the things she likes to do, like horseback riding. She said to find something you love to do.

I love to shop, so I incorporate walking through the malls and window shopping, or parking further in the parking lots.

I love dancing, so I go west coast swing dancing, and found zumba and UJam at the gym. I'll be going salsa dancing at a winery this week.

I love the water, so I take two swim aerobics classes during the week.

I love photography, so I go out photo-shooting once a week, and walk on the beach during the summer, or other places during the winter. I plan to take photos of birds this week at a park going with friends. We'll be doing a lot of walking.

It's not all about medicine, or eating the right foods. It's also getting exercise in, too.

We have to look at the bigger picture, rather than looking for more medicine to solve our problems.

betaquartz replied to phototaker's response:
I think the big point made here is that we have to take control. Not just damondj, but all of us. We have heard what the predictions of future health care for diabetics will cost. We know that there are factors that will reverse to some degree the onslaught of diabetes. We also know that in some cases the disease can be controlled completely with a lifestyle that includes physical activity, healthy eating that includes carb counting, and a reasonable amount of sleep (7-8 hrs.). It is our call to arms to fight the battle, but in some cases people are too complacent to do anything more than take the pill or the shot not even trying. Who are we to judge? We are the comrades in arms here, fighting the same battle, when one fails it effects the group, with anger, despair, and defeat. When one continuously ignores the good advice, or sees one day of regimen followed by another of gluttony, what are we to think? Getting off of the meds is not a goal in many cases, but having a little bit of self control, self denial, and commonsense about the complications of the future in the disease is what is most needed here. You can't lead a horse to water and force it to drink they say. .. . .

cookiedog replied to betaquartz's response:
This is a poster who has repeatedly demonstrated he is not having an easy time maintaining control through diet. He makes some poor food choices sometimes.

So, we can pretend that is not a problem and encourage him to control his diabetes without medicine. And meanwhile he can be doing real damage to his body through high blood sugar.

Or we can help him with his current problem. It appears his doctor has noted his higher than safe blood sugars and is adding a second drug to try to get him under control. FOR NOW, This may be part of a plan to get him in control and then work to reduce or eliminate the medicine.

In this case, in my opinion, we need to be realistic and deal with the question asked, not what we wish the poster was doing to control their diabetes.

phototaker replied to cookiedog's response:
I can see both sides of this, Cookiedog and Betaquartz. I agree with you both. IF Damondj is not willing or emotionally able to change their eating habits, then they "do" have to do something to bring their numbers down. Unfortunately, at some point the medicine won't work anymore, if their not eating correctly, though, and the whole thing will start again.

Possibly some therapy to work on "why" they have to use food to soothe themselves. I know that worked for me, although I still struggle at times.

For now, they need to get those numbers down to prevent health problems that come with higher numbers at whatever means BUT they need to be VERY aware of what they're doing, and how that's going to affect their body. There's no easy answer EXCEPT to eat more healthy and exercise.

phototaker replied to phototaker's response:
if "they're" not eating enough...(that schoolteacher comes out in me again)....

damondj replied to phototaker's response:
It appears that my previous post did not go through but I do not think it is against the rules to acknowledge cheaper meds that do not conflict with the Glucovance I already take. What about Glucocontrol? Is this a conflict with Glucovance? I would like to recommend a med to my doctor, thank you... Januvia is too much at $485....

betaquartz replied to damondj's response:
As to alternatives, you might hit the google window for januvia alternatives like I did. One site that appeared was here:

http://diabetes.emedtv.com/januvia/januvia-alternatives.html

Other things you might consider is googling coupons, and vouchers for januvia. I noticed there are sites for that. It looks like there are alternatives out there. ONe of the second alternatives that was listed in the above link was diet and exercise.

phototaker replied to damondj's response:
Damondj, most of us here are not doctors. I don't even take medicine for my diabetes. I wish you luck with the suggestions.
I hope you will at least "listen" to our concerns about you. Right now you need to get your numbers down. I understand you just want some suggestions. You can go online and look up drug interactions, if that's your concern.

davedsel57 replied to damondj's response:
From WebMD's Terms and Conditions of Use page:

"WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment."

and...

"The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the WebMD Site!"

As has been suggested, you can easily do an internet search to find alternative diabetes medications.
Blessings, -Dave

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.