Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Places to inject insulin around the belly.
PraJyo posted:
Hi,

I am 18 weeks pregnant and with pre-diabetes prior to pregnancy. I was using medication but now Dr switched me to insulin. I want to know how to inject insulin around the belly.

Though i take around the belly, sometimes i feel it is hard to inject and sometimes it is very stiff muscle and sometimes blood comes out. I dont know if i am taking it at right places. I don't have fat anywhere so doctor suggested me belly and i see it is very easy to keep the depth of injection in the belly rather than hand or legs.

Also my reading are shooting up and down. I am on 50 units lantus now. my post lunch readings vary between 140-160 and max 180 not more than that. Is it ok sometimes to get that much. i am not sure whatz the deadline for diabetic pregnant persons.

Anon123567 responded:
hi there

when I was pregnant and my belly started getting bigger my endo recommended staying away from the abdominal area for injections.

Its too difficult to pinch that bit of skin you need

I stuck to the arms, thighs and butt

arealgijoe replied to Anon123567's response:
Never had a baby, being a GUY........lol

However I do have a possable suggestion. Lantus is available in insulin pens and you can get mini NO-PINCH pen needles.
I use a Humalog pen and love it!

Check with you DOCTOR!

Gomer

auriga1 responded:
I used to be in the same predicament as you trying to find fat to inject the insulin into. No, I wasn't pregnant, but I was underweight.

Do you have anyone to help you out? As you get bigger in the tummy, there is not going to be any skin to pinch. Pinch around your upper thighs toward the outer side. Sometimes, you can get a little skin there. It's a subcutaneous injection, meaning just under the skin. You don't have to go deep. If you see blood, you have hit a vein. There are many of us who have those veins right at the surface everywhere. I've got bruises all over my belly to attesting to that fact. Usuallly I can see it before I hit it.

There's a place in the upper thigh, too, where there is a little fat just between the buttocks and the thigh. That's where you will need someone else to help you out.

Talk to your doctor about those insulin pens as Gomer suggested. As for your blood sugar readings, a little high, but ask your doctor if that's O.K. for you. He/she will know what is best. Make sure you talk to your doctor about your readings being up and down. They will want to monitor you closely.

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE replied to auriga1's response:
Hi,

I agree with the posters who suggested that you ask about pens, or at least shorter needles. As was pointed out, this injection is supposed to be just under the skin (called subcutaneous) so you may be helped by a shorter needle. This will probably help with prevention of nicking the small surface blood vessels that causes bleeding and bruising. I also agree that you need to think about sites other than your belly, such as the thighs and back of the arms; on the arms you'll probably need help to inject. As far as your blood glucose readings, these would be considered a little high for many people with diabetes, however it's really important to make an individual decision about glucose goals, especially for people with diabetes in pregnancy. This is because you have to be particularly careful to make sure you are delivering a consistent amount of glucose to your developing baby. Please discuss your individual blood glucose goals with your health care provider. Kind regards, Laurie

arealgijoe replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
I ROTATE my injection sites. I take Lantus twice a day, half in the am and half in the evening, not that I take much but for a more even basal 24/7. Lantus does have a effectiveness curve. I take Humalog with meals (& corrections) and to top it all off, I also take Copaxone injections daily for my MS.

I rotate LEFT on odd calendar days and RIGHT on EVEN calendar days, close to even split. I also rotate back of arm, L then R, to hips (Copaxone only) then legs and back to arms.

For my Lantus I also rotate same left-right, but just arms in the morning and legs in the evening. I save my tummy for all my humalog shots.

Just for my own sanity and consistancy I also rotate finger picks, left = odd and right = even days. My little pinky is breakfast/fasting, next finger is lunch, then next is dinner and I index bed-time BS pick.

If I did not have a SYSTEM I would go nuts....(white-coats peeking around the door?)

Gomer... aka Human pin cushion,
(do ask about insulin PENS.)

jambajuice replied to arealgijoe's response:
Good system and very practical...

This is helpful; Thx!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

This worked for my leg pain..
I suffer from chronic leg pain, bothering me mostly at night when I am trying to go to sleep. My legs ache and burn and have an ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.