Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sweating and/or body odor connected with diabetes
An_202803 posted:
I tend to sweat a lot but the only body odor I have smells like vinegar, particularly under my breasts (which is quite small) and around my mid section and my neck. What is the cause of this? I have had diabetes for about 3 years almost 4 and I take insulin to control my glucose.

phototaker responded:
I went online and looked this up for you. I sweat a lot when I work out, but luckily have no odor.

They did mention diabetes as one cause of odor, but it's usually uncontrolled diabetes, which leaves a fruity type of odor like rotten apples.

http://www.health911.com/body_odor
This is an article that talks about different things. Some of the ideas mentioned different illnesses that "might" cause odors.
I didn't see a vinegar smell, but it's an interesting read.

If it continues to both you, you can ask a doctor. Is your diabetes controlled really well by the insulin? Do you get high numbers at all?

If t

arealgijoe responded:
KEYTONES........

I am willing to bet you are TYPE-1, am I correct?

Diabetes is a dynamic dragon and insulin needs can change over time. Have you been sick with a clod or anythign or a recent injury?

Back in Jan '07 I fell and tore my shoulder. I was just managing my diabetes on my own (no doc) and lost control. A friend noticed my FRUITY odor, at that moment I knew I was in TROUBLE! I tried to dig myself out of my own hole, but ended up barely able to get into a new docs office. I need surgery, my insulin doses re-regulted and much more.

KEYTONES can be dangerous! Too much for very long and you could end up in a serious DKA state, meaning a nice long hospital stay.

My ADVICE is do not pass go, do not collect anything, except you glusocse log, meds and such, and head driectly to your doctor ASAP. Based on what you wrote, you could already be in serious trouble and may need to have someone take you to ER! Do NOT drive yourself, have someone take you.

PLEASE...PLEASE do not ignor this... I want you to be able to return here and let us know how you are doing AFTER you get this under control.

Gomer

Mayleejaz replied to phototaker's response:
Hello, thanks for your responses. I know about the fruity smell from watching NCIS. Mine is clearly vinegar. My glucose is well controlled. AC1 in August was 6.1; two week meter average is 100. When I talk to doctors about things like this they give me the impression that I am nuts. I am not!!

phototaker replied to Mayleejaz's response:
Since you've already checked with your doctor, I went on-line and found that a vinegar smell can be one of the smells that can come from an odor on the body. Read the article. You're not nuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_odor

You might want to check your bs numbers during the day.

I also had a 6.1 A1C, but had some numbers in the 200's a few days during the holidays, because of too many carbs at once. You could be getting some very lows and very highs and this could even out to what you got on your A1C. I check myself 3x a day, so I have a pretty good idea how I'm doing. I usually check first thing in the morning, and 2 hours after eating later afternoon and early evening.

Being that you're on insulin, it's very different than me.

My diabetes is well controlled. A1C in August was 6.1; two week meter average is 100. Doctors seem to respond to me like I have two heads when I report something that has not been documented. Thanks for the link on body odors.

An_202804 replied to arealgijoe's response:
Gomer:
no I am not type one, but I did have an injury Jan 15 08; the odor has been recent like in the past 6 to 12 months. I have to confess I don't shower daily (my depression) which is how I came to notice the odor. What are Keystones? What is DKA? and my sugar is under control. I do have congestive heart failure. Other than that, there is nothing new to my health condition. Thanks for sharing!

arealgijoe replied to An_202804's response:
DKA.. short for Diabetic Keto Acidosis

When the body does not have enough insulin to process food into energy for the body, your body starts to FEED on itself. In DKA you body has both high blood sugar AND KEYTONES, a (waste?) byproduct of the body EATING itself for energy to stay alive. If this goes on too long the person ends up in a COMA.

IN DKA, my appatite is nill and so is my engery to pick myself off the living room floor. Kinda of in a stupor, is the closest word that comes to my mind but there is probably a better word for it.

When I run out of insulin I could eat 3,000 or 4,000 calories a day and still loose 10 lbs in a week. That is one reason you see UNEXPLAINED weight loss often on medical question forms. With type-1 this can happen FAST. Most type-2s do not have to deal with keytones, a few do.

I used to keep ketostix around, but have not felt the need for dcades. After not doctoring for a few years and tearing my rotor cuff (shoulder), a friend noticed my burning food odor, that was my WAKE up call, I KNEW I was in TROUBLE. I needed to get back to diilgent care of my diabetes. I tried but almost 4 months later I was still in trouble, blood sugars not in good control, and my BP was way too high.

I was doing NPH regular insulin mixed twice a day. My a1c with 2 mixed insulin shots/day as I had done for decades, but was still high w/a1c at 8.6. So back to doctoring w/new famdoc, aka Dr FlipFlop. He worked with me weekly then biweekly till I was back in control w/ 3 shots a day and got sent to a surgeon for the needed shoulder repair.

Think of it like this;
Insulin is like fuel for your car. You NEED so much just to idle. If you do not have enough gas/insulin to even idle, your car starts to sputer & miss then the motor STALLS (coma).

The biger your car/truck/engine the more insulin/gas you need for it to even idle. Why weight loss works (T-2) .....lol

Now lets say you are crusing along at 60 minutes an hour (or 60 miles/hr) and you come to a hill to climb, lets call it a meal. The more carbs/food on your plate, the bigger the hill. You need more gas/insulin for your car/body to make it up the hill w/o stalling, so you give it more gas/bolus insulin to make it up the hill.

Not enough gas/insulin and you slow down or don't make it up the hill. Too much insulin/gas and you FLY up the hill too fast and when you crest the top of the hill you speed fast down the hill. At that point your BS level is dropping fast, you either take in more carbs (think hill) or you CRASH into the hypoglycemic wall.

By having your hills smaller, more frequent instead of a couple BIG steep hills, its much easier to manage and maintain a normal speed/blood sugar levels. Also with smaller more frequent gentle hills, you are less likey to creast then fly too fast (dropping blood sugars) and crash into that virtual hypo-wall below.

This true for any diabetic, even those NOT on insulin, even people not diabetic but rather reactive-hypoglycemic, so frequent smaller meals/hills are much easier on the body as well. Often a person with reactive hypoglycemia have a DELAYED insulin response, so they get HIGH BS levels climbing that meal/hill because of the delayed insulin response, the when they crest the meal/hill, they all that delayed insulin hits and no hill/food to use it so they come crashing down.

A normal person has a great cruse control that gives the gas/insulin as needed, when needed and maintains a near constant speed/BS level.

Sorry if I got carried away with the complex anlogy, if I confused you let me know, I will break it down a bit for easier digestion.....hey I hungry and cold, I need to stoke my body temp with some HEAT/calories B 4 I freeze ..........lol

Gomer :-)

Mayleejaz replied to arealgijoe's response:
Hi Gomer!
Thank you so much for such a great explanation. As I explained in a earlier post, doctors think I am crazy because I don't fit the norm. I take my insulin, check my blood sugar before each meal (used to do it after the meal too, but stopped due to cost of supplies and reduced income). I do get dizzy when I bend over and come back up (described in webmd search on DKA). It's hard to say I don't have any energy BUT I don't care to do anything inside or outside of my home. Earlier in November when I had acute bronchitis I Really didn't have any Energy, but now I feel different. The bronchitis is gone but I spend all day in the bed. I am quite content to do absolutely nothing! My body feels trembly and my hands shake at times usually when I hold something so my symptoms are somewhat different. It is good to know about DKA and I will see if I can find a doctor who can do the necessary blood work to see if there is anything wrong related to my diabetes.

I appreciate your response. It was wonderful of you to take so much time to explain something this important to a stranger! Have a wonderful weekend.

Gomer, I also am not losing weight I am gaining!!!! It is weird!

It says I have 17 replies and I can only find three? Where do I find the others?

Thank you so much for the link. The first time I could not find it. Today I did! And I found the vinegar!! This is new for me. Never spelled it before the past 6-12 months. Perhaps I should go back to checking my bs 6 times a day instead of three!

I searched further and found the vinegar smell which can come from drinking soft drinks. I drink either orange soda or pepsi and have done so since I was at least 18 years old. I don't do diet soda. So I think I will try an experiment and eliminate the soda from my diet for a couple of months to see if the odor goes away. Thank you for the second link. The first one did not work for me.

phototaker replied to Mayleejaz's response:
Mayleejaz, the problems you're having with your blood sugar is most likely your sodas. You are drinking SO MUCH sugar in those drinks. Sodas have linked to MANY problems. Pepsi and Coke could cause bone loss, leading possibly to osteoporosis.
There are things in soda(that I've heard) that cause other problems, too. Dr. Oz showed how much sugar was in one bottle of soda. I was shocked. The sooner you get off the soda, the better. You'll be feeling so much better right away, and your blood sugar numbers will go down for sure. No wonder you're not losing weight.

The trembling could be your high numbers, OR high sodium from the soda. You need to have your blood pressure checked. That also could be why you're dizzy when you go up or down. I was told by my doctor to get up slowly, to prevent that, that some people have this when they get up or down.

Another thing I found when I was so tired, was that I had an irregular heartbeat. You "may" have been drinking so much sodium in those sodas to cause that. Have you ever felt your heart racing or beating irregularly?

I think you've found your first answer to feeling better....cutting out the sodas!

Water is the best!

Hi Phototaker (I am one too!)
Thanks for your reply. I have already cut out the soda! I assure you it will not help with weight loss though. Before diabetes I cut out soda and chocolate for three years and no weight loss. Have you seen the commercial on TV about the woman complaining that she and her husband gave up soda and he loss but she did not? It has something to do with our difference body makeup from men.

Anyway, blood pressure is good, I was drinking decaf soda so that is not the cause of the jidders, I read the side effects of one of my heart meds and it does cause that dizzy feeling. Heart does not race as I take beta blockers (slows heart beat) and have done so since I was in my 20's. When I was 40 I switched from caffienated pepsi to decaf and that helped with some issues.

I have numerous health concerns: irritable bowel, acid reflux and the soda helps with burping. Water does not help with that but perhaps over time my body will regulate itself back to natural burping after a meal. I also have lupus so I am a medical mess!

I am constantly watching and keeping track of differences in my health status so we will see what happens. Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.