Skip to content
Fasting Blood Glucose of 90 - should I be concerned?
SamKeays posted:
I have had two FBGs, one just below 90 in January, one almost dead on 90. Looking a research journals the specificity at that level (typically estimated between 70-80%) is too low for my liking, so I am requesting an OGTT referral as soon as possible.

My real question is - does this suggest that insulin resistance is has already progressed? Does even a small degree of insulin resistance that a level of 90 suggets mean that future diabetes (I am 23) is fairly inevitable?

I could link to several research journals which consistently argue 90 as the cut-off point between the first signs of abnormal glucose tolerance and complete normality if you want. The fact that it is right on the border - some regard 91 and above as abnormal, some 89 and below as such, only increases the deep anxiety I have at present. I have been unable to sleep or eat for several days. I am unable to concentrate at work, all my free time is spent in medical journals trying to decode the statistics of this. There is one article on Springerlink http://www.springerlink.com/content/t546571w1h117508/ here. Can anyone with access (say a university student) tell me what probability does the article suggest for a non-diabetic to have a BFG level of 90 based on standard population deviance alone? Especially for a young, white male.

I was obese for a year between the ages of 21-22, caused by severe depression. Since then I have, over the last year, gone down to a BMI of 27, and I have now redoubled my efforts to ensure it rests at below 25.

Thanks

Sam

mhall6252 responded:
My first thought is that 90 is within the normal range of 70-100. If they keep lowering the ranges, the entire world's population will be considered diabetic.

Rather than ang OGTT, you might want to have a Hemoglobin A1C, which is a more accurate predictor of glucose levels over the past 3 months or so. It's a quick blood test, you don't fast for it, and is a better predictor of diabetes.

Try to relax and take proactive steps to keep your fasting levels in a good range. Eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight, avoid white carbs like rice, potatoes, flour, and sugar. Stick to whole grains, lean proteins, veggies, fruits, nuts and beans. Get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. With these actions, you'll be doing everything in your power to avoid the onset of diabetes and lead a long, healthy life.

Michelle

An_202811 responded:
90 is a normal fasting glucose level. why are you even researching it?

cookiedog responded:
Eat healthy, limit white carbs, limit overall calories, exercise and stop worrying.

You are fine.

Manoj_in_Bangalore responded:
Sam, FBG does not give a complete picture. You should be really concerned if your fasting insulin level is greater than 10 mcIU/ml. To quantitatively measure your insulin resistance, calculate your HOMA-IR.

SamKeays replied to Manoj_in_Bangalore's response:
Yes, thank you, exactly what I am saying. It is frightening and I can't get time off work till next Tuesday for a doctors appointment so I am in a constant state of a nervous fit. I am not able to get that particular test. Hence my need for OGTT.

laura2gemini2 responded:
It is ok to be a little concerned...but I dont believe this warrents a need to be frightened. Most labs offer an A1c (also known as a glycated hemoglobin in some areas) which can help you and your dr determine if you do have the begining symptoms of diabetes.

Even if it does show that you have some early signs, it is possible that with some lifestyle changes you can go back to having normal blood sugars. Having diabetes doesnt ruin your life, it just changes it a little.

Maybe your sugars are also elevated because of stress. You seem to be very anxious about what may or may not be.

SamKeays replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Just so I don't sound REALLY crazy I have a huge give-away that I do indeed have diabetes. Although I only urinate 5-7 times a day (sometimes more if I drink 3 litres) I often have one or two cases a day in which I urinate within an hour of having previously urinated, especially if I have drunk a moderately large quantity of water.

phototaker replied to SamKeays's response:
Sam, I'm not on diabetes medications, and I do get higher fasting numbers than you, but I also do get an 85 or 90 sometimes during the day. There's a possibility you "may" have diabetes. I am definitely diabetic.

Here's the thing. Any stressing over this or getting very anxious will make things worse, especially if you're not sleeping with worry. It actually makes your numbers go up.

If you are that concerned, ask your doctor for an A1C, which will test 3 months of your blood sugars. Meanwhile, just eat pretty healthy, keeping your carb levels down, checking labels, having more fresh vegetables, lower fat meat, beans, eggs, fish like salmon, certain fruits, etc. You can check Calorie King.Com for carb levels. Eat three meals a deal and make your portions smaller. You can have snacks in between, like walnuts, almonds with 1/2 an apple, etc.

The best thing to do is to go see your doctor with your concerns. He/she probably won't be concerned with your 90, but you can ask for the A1C. Tell them about your frequency of going to the bathroom. Maybe you have an infection of some sort. It's always just best to let the doctor check you out first.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing. NO NEED TO WORRY. It will make things worse.

SamKeays replied to phototaker's response:
Definitely no infection. I've had occurances with excess water consumption for too long for that to be the case.

Okay, well I can't help but be anxious. It's difficult for me, psychologically I am not well adapted to this.

mhall6252 responded:
I took a look at the link you provided. That data is more than 20 years old. You might find these links informative and perhaps you will be able to relax a bit:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/5/1170.full.pdf html

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/31/12/2404.full.pdf html

Michelle

SamKeays replied to mhall6252's response:
That link:

'Data from >450 intravenous glucose tolerance tests show that first-phase insulin secretion begins to fall once the FPG rises above 90—97 mg/dl (5.0—5.4 mmol/l) (17 ). Although first-phase insulin secretion is not a physiological phenomenon, this nevertheless shows that pancreatic 3B2-cell function starts to alter well before the putative, magical level of 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/l) is reached. '

http://cel.isiknowledge.com/InboundService.do?product=CEL&action=retrieve&SrcApp=Highwire&UT=000223059000006&SID=Q2lld5%40kDJEnbB1ch8n&Init=Yes&SrcAuth=Highwire&mode=FullRecord&customersID=Highwire

'
'Results. As fasting plasma glucose (FPG) increased, IVGTT first-phase insulin secretion declined by 73%, 71% and 68% for the three methods respectively. The FPG values at which this decline began, determined by change point regression, were 4.97, 5.16 and 5.42 mmol/l respectively. The sensitivity of late-phase insulin secretion to glucose declined at FPG concentrations above 6.0 mmol/l. Insulin elimination, but not insulin sensitivity, varied with FPG.'

SamKeays replied to SamKeays's response:
'Conclusions/interpretation. The range of FPG over which progressive loss of the first-phase response begins may be as low as 5.0 to 5.4 mmol/l, with late-phase insulin responses declining at FPG concentrations above 6.0 mmol/l.'

phototaker replied to SamKeays's response:
Sam, I think it's great that you like to do research, but remember that everyone who has diabetes handles it different,not only in their blood sugar readings, but also emotionally. Usually when first diagnosed, it takes a little time to adjust. Some people take the bull by the horns, and others put their head in the sand.

Instead of getting upset so soon, ask for an A1C from your doctor.

Tell me what makes you feel anxious about having diabetes?
Do you know someone who has it? Remember everyone handles this differently depending on their own body. Type I diabetics have it the hardest, I believe. People who go very low while on diabetes medicine have a difficult time. As long as you control your blood sugar numbers with healthy eating and exercise, you can live a LONG life. My mother lived until her late 80's and started when she was 40, using insulin or oranase, then diet and exercise alone, and back to insulin in her 80's. She was a big walker.

celery56 responded:
You can't be serious. Fasting blood sugar is considered normal
from 80 to 120- 90 is fine- your body hasn't read the articles you have so don't mention it.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.