Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cinnamon (a diabetes miracle or a wives tale)
Avalon1957 posted:
has anyone else heard that eating 1.5 tsp of cinnamon a day can lower your blood sugar ...

just read that in a book

Avalon1957 responded:
here is one of many web references ...

http://diabetes.about.com/od/whatsonthehorizon/qt/cinnamon.htm

davedsel57 responded:
Many diabetics have reported that consuming cinnamon in natural or capsule form does help them control their blood glucose readings.

This would be in addition to a healthy lifestyle involving a low-carb eating plan and regular exercise. Individual results will vary.

Please talk to your doctor about this further.
Blessings, -Dave

betaquartz responded:
Wives tail or not, I take 4 500mg capsules a day. I also sprinkle my mixed nuts with cinnamon, and put it in coffee often-especially when at Panera for a 1/2 sandwich and a salad. I began it to help lower my numbers, and don't know if it had anything to do with the lower numbers I see now or not, but would not take the risk that it did-by quitting.

rubystar2 responded:
I take cinnamon capsules, too. My doctor said it does help lower blood glucose levels but not drastically. When I was on diabetes meds, he said the prescription meds were like sledgehammers and the cinnamon was like fine tuning hammers. Now I am off all diabetic meds and using those fine tuning hammers.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

mhall6252 responded:
I also take cinnamon capsules every day. Mine also contain chromium picolinate.

Michelle

nwsmom replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle, where do you find the cinnamon/chromium capsules? Thanx...Nancy

mhall6252 replied to nwsmom's response:
The brand is Spring Valley and I'm certain I bought them at WalMart in a twin pack.

Michelle

soapster1949 responded:
I also take cinnamon plus chromium 2000 mg. - 2 daily. Since I have added the chromium aspect, I have noticed lower blood sugar levels. Of course, this isn't a substitute for a healthy diet.

kimmie12 replied to mhall6252's response:
I just started taking the same today. Sugar today after eating was alot better 105, very happy today. Hope it keeps working.
i take 2000mg a day one at breakfast and one at dinner i hope this is okay to do? Any suggestions that this is okay to do?

kimmie12 replied to soapster1949's response:
Do you take it twice a day? Just wondering if that was okay to do. I started today and was suprised that mine today was 105. Very pleased with that, plus i started exercising also.

soapster1949 replied to kimmie12's response:
I take only two daily and usually after my main meal.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.