Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Orange Juice & Type 2
Gramsjan posted:
My husband is a type 2 diabetic and medicates with Metformin. He drinks at least 1 quart of orange juice daily. Is this really good for him?

MSUphysicsFRIB responded:
In my opinion, he shouldn't be drinking any fruit juice at all, unless he is sick and absolutely can't eat anything else. He should eat whole fruit, where the sugar is "packaged" inside fiber, rather than drink fruit juice. Fruit juice has a high glycemic load.

phototaker responded:
In my "opinion" and from what I've read, your husband should not be drinking a quart of orange juice a day. There is a lot of sugar in fruit juice. Even an orange for some people can't be tolerated. Since I'm not on medicine, I can't eat certain fruits or my blood sugar goes up. Even for people on medicine, it can go up. Some diabetics can tolerate fruit, but not the juice. Some are able to have 1/2 a glass. I would say most couldn't. I had bought the less sugar O.J. when I was first diagnosed, and just had a few sips in the morning with an egg, and a slice of toast. Now I don't have it anymore, as my morning fasting numbers are higher.

If he wants something sweet, cut up an orange with his breakfast. The fiber in the fruit will keep his bs levels at a better number than the straight juice.

Also, check the carb levels in a GLASS of orange juice. It's he's only allowed around 40 carbs at a meal, he can see how much he's having. His doctor can help know what a good carb level for him would be. He can also test his blood sugars two hours after he eats to see the damage that's being done.

mhall6252 responded:
There are 32 carb grams in 8 ounces of orange juice, so a quart is topping 120 grams. That's not a good way to get your carbs. He needs to cut back to a measured 4 ounces if he is insistent upon having OJ. There is a product called Trop50 that is a reduced sugar product and tastes pretty close to the same thing. I limit my consumption of it to 8 ounces and I don't have it every day.

Eating an orange or any other kind of fruit or vegetable is far superior to drinking juice, which is full of natural sugars. The only juice that is relatively better is tomato juice or the original V8. Even that should be limited to one 8 ounce glass a day.

How is your husband doing controlling his diabetes? Is his A1c in an acceptable range? If not, this small change could make a huge difference. I'm guessing that both of you could benefit by a visit to a diabetic educator and/or registered dietitian. You can also learn a great deal by reading Dr. Dansinger's dietary advice, links are on the right side of this page.

Michelle

Gramsjan replied to mhall6252's response:
Thanks so much for the input. It is greatly appreciated!

Gramsjan replied to phototaker's response:
Thanks so much much for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

Gramsjan replied to MSUphysicsFRIB's response:
Thanks so much for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

auriga1 responded:
As another poster stated, OJ is packed with carbs. And they are FAST acting carbs. This will spike his blood sugar immediately.

I am on insulin, and my blood sugar drops at any time, especially during physical activity. I use OJ to raise my blood sugar should it drop below 70.

Specifically, OJ is NOT good for him unless he needs to bring his blood sugar up.

ted1971 responded:
I was told by my doctor 4oz a day was ok but He would rather I eat a small orange than the OJ.

DianeR01 replied to ted1971's response:
Hi Ted

A small orange has more fiber than juice so the chances of spiking your blood glucose are less. 4 oz is 1/8 of the quart the original poster was refering to.

If you really had a taste for oj, 4 oz or a 1/2 cup would probably be reasonable with most diets.

my best to you

di

auriga1 replied to ted1971's response:
Ted, if it doesn't raise your blood sugar when you drink it alone, by all means, enjoy. I can't drink it, because it spikes my blood sugar. I need to incorporate those carbs with any carbs I have at a meal.

krhudson responded:
It all depends on how his body is tolerating the oj. If his blood sugars are higher than the oj is spiking it.

I am a type 1 diabetic and use oj as a way to increase my blood sugar when it is below 80 and dropping. 8 oz for me increases my blood sugar at least 80 points but more like 100 points up to 180 from 80 when I know my insulin is only half way done doing it's job and my sugars will be falling another 50 points for certain in the next hour.

I use oj as a way to prevent going to low or during exercise when I know I will be dropping to a blood sugar of 50 in a half an hour. I never drink oj without a reason like that unless I factor my insulin to support a glass of juice at a meal which is seldom.

If this is the only fruit choice he likes than ask the dietitian how much he is allowed based on his meds and calorie count and exercise level.

krhudson

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.