Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
C-peptide lab was high...now going for A1C....What does all this mean?
bjtitus posted:
I am 28 years old...I have had gestational diabetes with my last 2 pregnancies. My last pregnancy, I was insulin dependent. My youngest son is almost 2.
For the last couple weeks, I have been experiencing some lows in my blood sugar. After I spoke with my doctor, he sent me for some labs...TSH and c-peptide. My TSH was normal, but my c-peptide was high.
What exactly does that mean?
And now, he is sending me for a Hemoglobin A1C test in the morning.

Has anyone had this happen that can explain it a little better to me..I'm so confused and worried....

Thanks

phototaker responded:
BJ...I went online and found this link for you to read about the C-peptide test. It is given to people who might have low blood sugar symptoms. I wouldn't worry anything right now. It sounds like your doctor is on the ball. This should explain about high c-peptide tests. Don't worry until you find out from your doctor what the tests show. In any case, you'll just do what you need to do to maintain good blood sugar levels.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/c_peptide/test.html

Your A1c test gives an average of your blood sugar levels for three months.

You'll be just fine. Wait until your tests and try to write down some questions you have for him/her. Take a deep breath!

There may be others coming on here during the weekend. If not, read up on this test. If you experience any really bad symptoms that they list there, call your doctor. If you feel very weak, dizzy, light headed, or have trouble concentrating, take your blood sugar level. If your bs numbers are going lower than 60, take a little bit of orange juice(or something that has some sugar in it) and call your doctor. Don't take too much as you can spike higher and then come down again. Test your bs again to see where you are.

We are NOT DOCTORS here, except for Dr. Dansinger. Your first response is to call your doctor. I know nothing except what I just read on that site.

mhall6252 responded:
One of the best ways to prevent low blood sugar is to eat small, frequent meals that are higher in protein and paired with fruits, veggies and/or complex carbs. So avoid the highly processed white stuff like sugar, flour, white bread, etc. When you do experience a low, it's important to treat the immediate problem but then eat something that has more staying power. So, for example, if you're using a little orange juice, follow that up with a handful of nuts or half a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread. If you just have a simple "carb" without a protein/fat/complex carb snack or meal, you are setting yourself up for the yo-yo effects of a quick glucose rise followed by a "crashing" glucose low.

Michelle

DavidHueben responded:
BJ:

The c-peptide test is used to determine the amount of insulin being produced by the pancreas. It can be helpful in determining where a person has Type I or Type II diabetes. It is used for more than determining if a person is hypoglycemic. Read the following article from WebMD:

http://diabetes.webmd.com/c-peptide

David
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Thank you for your question. Since you have had gestational diabetes your doctor wants to determine how close you are to type 2 diabetes and to get you on the road to preventing it as best as possible.

The c--peptide level reflects how much insulin you make. A high level indicates that your insulin-producing cells of the pancreas--the beta cells-- are making lots of insuliin. If this was a fasting test (meaning you had not eaten for 8 to 12 hours) the high level indicates that your muscles and organs have insulin resistance, which is common in patients who are oveweight or have obesity. The beta cells have to do lots of work and make lots of insulin in order to keep the blood sugar levels normal in someone with insulin resistance. Twice as much work as in someone wiithout insulin resistance. We fear that in some people the beta cells can't handle the "double duty" forever and will get exhausted and can only do a partial job, in which case the blood sugar levels start to gradually rise. In prediabetes and in gestational diabetes (since insulin resistance increases in pregnancy) we see weak beta cells that can't make enough extra insulin to keep the blood sugar levels normal. Perhaps the beta cells can only make enough insulin to handle the needs of a normal weight person without insulin resistance. Sometimes they have become so weak they can only do half the work of someone without insulin resistance. That's when we see full-on type 2 diabetes. The A1c level tells us how far along this path the patient is. An A1c in the normal range with a high insulin or C-peptide level indicates that the beta cells are keeping up with the insulin resistance, and we can follow the A1c and insulin levels over time to see how well the beta cells are keeping up. The A1c can creep up over time and reach the point of diabetes. In advanced diabetes, if the beta cells become very weak then the insulin levels and c-peptide levels can become low, at which point insulin shots or an insulin pump becomes necessary to control the glucose levels.

In any case, the answer is to do whatever you have to do to keep yourself in good shape so you can keep as much distance as possible between you and type 2 diabetes. We should all be living our lives as though we're trying to avoid or minimize diabetes risk. There are lots of good resources here about how to change your life around in orderr to ensure that healthy eating and lots of exercise become a daily routine.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your A1c. We're rooting for you!

Michael Dansinger, MD

bjtitus replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I got my results of my A1c test and they were within the normal ranges. My doctor is now wanting to send me to the diabetes counselor at the hospital to discuss my diet and the proper foods to eat...which is ironic, since I am a dietary manager at a nursing home. But I am planning on going to speak with her as soon as the appointment is set up.

Dr. Dansinger...Thank you for your response as well. I have recently had a weight loss of 40lbs and my doctor thinks that this could have something to do with it to. I am 5'11" and 183lbs.

So....based on all of these labs, does this mean that I am headed down the diabetic road?? I am a little scared...

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.