Skip to content
Valentine?s and National Donor Day
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Valentine's Day is coming up on Monday and on the same day it's National Donor Day.

Aside from any gifts you'll be giving/receiving for the romantic side of things,what gifts will you give yourself this year to be kind to yourself, to make yourself smile?

And are you registered as a donor should something happen to you? Have you discussed this with your loved ones? How comfortable are you with the idea of giving such a precious gift?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cookiedog responded:
And you never know - You may actually know someone who will personally benefit from an organ donation!

DavidHueben responded:
I won't be giving or receiving any gifts or cards on Monday, but I am a registered organ donor!!!

DMH
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr

nwsmom replied to DavidHueben's response:
No Valentine's Day celebration here, either, but I too am a registered organ donor...for what it's worth. I rather doubt that any of my parts are worth reuse anymore!

dianer01 responded:
Same here, we are not big on Valentines celebrations but we are both organ donors.

I could not imagine not being an organ donor. If my passing could in any way benefit another's life, I could think of no greater honor or validation for my life.

An_202831 responded:
pretty sure the damage done by diabetes makes us ineligible organ donors...I know that I wouldn't want to receive a kidney from another diabetic??

That said, I am registered to donate my body to science...if they can find a cure for juvenile diabetes thanks to me, why not

phototaker replied to An_202831's response:
Those were my thoughts exactly, as I went down the list to things they take like heart(nope), eyes(nope)...but maybe some part of the eye, kidneys, liver(probably not), pancreas(nope),
skin(nope)...well maybe to cover a burn victim, not sure what else they harvest for donations....
BUT, your idea about donating body to science is a good one.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to An_202831's response:
My thoughts too.... one way or another, I'd like my body donated so it could be of use to others.

laura2gemini2 responded:
Even diabetics have a lot to offer being organ donors. Skin, tendons, blood vessles, bones, and parts of the eye can still be donated. I am an organ donor, have been since I was 16. A work friend of mine has had 2 cadaver bones and a tendon placed in her ankle, and my mother reciently had a cadaver bone placed in her spine.

cookiedog responded:
If a person has type II diabetes and is in very good physical condition, they MAY (not always) be a living donor for certain organs.

phototaker replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Well, my bones are out too....Thanks for more information, Laura.

dianer01 replied to An_202831's response:
Hi anon,

Donating your body to science or organ/tissue donation are both very noble and selfless. Each one of us are a little different and depending upon our age and what caused our demise we may indeed have something to offer in the way of tissue/organ donation. After reading your post this morning, I did a little research and just because someone has a chronic condition does not necessarily preclude them from organ/tissue donation.

There are a few things which would stop all organ donaiton which would include being over 70, HIV, tuberculosis, some types of hepatitis and some fungal infections. This list is not inclusive but an example.

I am T2 and at this point have good liver and kidney function along with no known heart problems. I am in pretty good shape overall because I have changed my lifestyle and adopted a healthier one. Would I be the ideal donor? Maybe not but if my kidneys or other organs qualify to be donated, yea! because I do not believe they would "cause" diabetes in an organ recipient.

cookiedog replied to dianer01's response:
Diane, you are absolutely correct but the criteria are even more liberal than you stated.

I have HepC. That is the cause of my end stage liver disease. I will receive a HepC positive cadaver liver. It makes no sense to waste a HepC negative on me since the virus would immediately infect it in my body.

I have already signed paperwork stating I agree to accept a HepC positive virus liver.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to cookiedog's response:
What a great and interesting discussion this turned into!

Cookiedog, that's such a good point you make and something I'd not considered.

Thank you ALL!

phototaker replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes, Cookiedog, I found that interesting, too. I'm always learning new things on here from everyone.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.