Skip to content
Welcome to WebMD!
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
To those of you new to us, Welcome!

You've found a great place of information and support here, with some wonderful and knowledgeable regular members and WebMD experts.

We know that a new Diabetes diagnosis can be a bit frightening and you have a lot of questions and concerns. And we know that it may take you time to figure out how to fit any changes into your life.

Read the information that can be found here, lean on the members and learn from their experiences, knowing you'll be supported from your first tentative steps to finding your way to taking care of yourself each and every day.

If you read here, you'll see that you can continue to have a full, thriving and fun life even with a Diabetes diagnosis.

To start a new discussion - to ask a question and/or introduce yourself to the community - hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button on the upper right and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears, fill in the subject line and body of the message (you don't have to include a poll if you don't want to) and then Submit. Voila!

Finally, know that all your questions are welcome here, but do keep in mind that you should never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or hospital. This forum cannot be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ibidnah responded:
ok, thanks for making up-dated information on diabetes available to me now. I plan on using the forum and web site quite a bit.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to ibidnah's response:
You're very welcome, Ibidnah! We're glad you're here.

phototaker replied to ibidnah's response:
Welcome, Ibidnah!

ginger2011 responded:
hi i was just wanting to introduce my self i ma 45 female dealing with type 2 diabetes and i was wanting to know their is some kind of issue that goes with diabetes is kiosedosis i think thats it wanted to know and understand it could you explain this to me.

phototaker replied to ginger2011's response:
Ginger, I'm not familiar with this. Can you give a description of what you're talking about? Did your doctor tell you that you had this or is it about keytones? I tried looking up your spelling and couldn't find anything, except having to do with keytones and diabetes.

laura2gemini2 replied to ginger2011's response:
Maybe Ketosis or Ketoacidosis? Basically when your body doesnt get enough insulin your sugar goes up, and your body breaks down pure fat for energy. That produces ketones, which are acidic. It can be very dangerous for diabetics to get ketoacidosis.

mhall6252 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Ketosis is different from ketoacidosis. Here's a a couple links that help explain the difference:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

Ketoacidosis is rare in Type 2 diabetics because they are usually producing some insulin.

Ketosis is normal in people who follow an Atkins-style diet and is not dangerous unless you take it too far.

Michelle

phototaker replied to mhall6252's response:
Yes, Michelle, I was really surprised to see this. I thought we weren't supposed to have too many keytones in our body and it ruins your liver and other organs. Then, when I was reading up on it, I was surprised that it burns fat. Hmmm....at what point is it too dangerous? I could see some people abusing this, if they have an eating disorder.

mhall6252 replied to phototaker's response:
Yes, eating disorders would be an example. Anything that puts you into a "starvation" mode is dangerous. Most people can eat very low carb for long periods of time and be just fine.

Michelle

I went on this very strict "diet" when I was 21. I ate beef liver, and actually very little amounts of food through this Diet Center in town. I can't believe I paid for the program. I lost a lot of weight, but of course, later, put it all back on. It was before I knew better about not starving your body like that. I wasn't too thin, though. I know it changed my metabolism for the worse, and I've been fighting staying thinner, since. I was about 30 lbs. thinner then, but I feel so much better now. I will never deprive myself like that again, ever. It's not healthy.

betaquartz replied to phototaker's response:
I used to get liver when living at home. I don't eat it now or when I left home. I also stay away from any animal organs, as I figure they will have the greatest concentrations of impurities. I can't imagine what people are thinking that eat liver, kidney etc. I especially can't get over the hunters I have known in past years that after deer kill eat part of the heart-raw! After all that we know, some folks just don't get it!

laura2gemini2 replied to phototaker's response:
I have a trace amount of ketones now because I am still losing lots of weight from my surgery. Anything over trace though I'm supposed to call the dr. I check about once a week now, or if I'm feeling crappy.

mhall6252 replied to betaquartz's response:
I was never fond of organ meats, and stopped eating them long before I really knew what function they served. Somehow, eating an organ that removes impurities from a body (liver) just seems wrong. I know people love chicken gizzards...but I can't bring myself to eat something whose purpose is to grind up rocks.

Michelle

Michelle, growing up Jewish, my grandmother and aunts used to make the BEST chopped chicken liver ever! I only had it once or twice a year at big celebrations. I did have liver once in a while when I was married, but have not had it once since my divorce.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.