Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Testing Meters
nala308 posted:
I have type 1 diabetes and I use a OneTouch Ultra 2 meter. My situation is that one reading will be 130 from one finger and if I use a different finger, my reading will be 108. When I talked to my doctor he said to get a different meter. Same results. Any suggestions?

beccasmurf responded:
Have you tried washing your hands first?

I know it sounds odd, but I once had a kid I babysat hand a piece of candy to his brother. When he tested his blood sugar later it was high. A few minutes later, after I had him wash his hands, he tested again (using the same hole) and had a considerably lower reading. I'm not really sure it makes much of a difference, but after this incident it is something I keep in mind.

arealgijoe responded:
One possable issue could be how CLEAN one finger is compared to the other. Are you using the SAME hand, there can be a difference in circulation from one hand/arm and the other.

FRUIT sugars from things like apples oranges etc DO NOT clean off with alcoho! If you vhe been handling FRUIT (of any type)l even thoro cleaning with an alcohol pad is useless! Use soap and water to thoughly before testing. FOf course any sugars of any type on a finger can and will affect the reading.

METER slop, or tollerances can also be involved. If a meter has an tollerance of say 10% (not unreasonable) an exact BS level of 120 could easily give a reading of 130 & 108 and still be IN TOLLERANCE range ot the meter.

NO METER is always accurate to say 1% or even 2%.

Also keep in mind your BS level is always changing some, it is dynamic, so it varies a few point from one minute to the next is normal.

Gomer

An_202833 responded:
there is a 30% margin of error on home glucose meters (read the insert for the one touch to get the exact margin of error)

that means your reading could be between 15 percent higher or lower then what your meter actually shows you

phototaker replied to beccasmurf's response:
I always wash my hands before I test, especially after hearing about things being on your fingers changing the scores. I have my testing kit near my sink.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.