Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
7 yr old health problems.
prettygirlsmommy posted:
My daughter is 7 yrs old and is boarder line diabetic, type-2 diabetes. She is taking Metformin ER (500mg) everyday. She also see's a Endocrinologist for obesed kids, and we found out she has high cholestoral and If I can't get her cholestoral level down that he will put her on medication for it. This saddens me so much, when I look at my precious little girl and having to go through such health problems at such a young age, she should be enjoying her life not worried about what she can't and can eat. My daughgter weighs 142 pounds and she is 4'6, she is getting dark lines on the back of her neck and udner her arms pits and inner thigh. The doctor says I need to put her on a deit ( no fried foods and not a lot of cheese and eggs, no dairy) I'm so stressed about this because I live with relatives and they do not care about their health. So we watch them eat all the greasy foods while we indulge in salad. I know we are off to a right track but it's hard to get my daughter to follow along,sometime she just wants to give up. I need to some support here, I'm so frusterated, but i can't give up on her. I much rather have these health problems than her, but I know it's up tp me to fix it (before too late) and help her. But moms in my positon need supprt and my daughters needs motivation. Any advice, pelase help me.

Thank you,

cookiedog responded:
Do you have weight issues also? If so, perhaps you could work on healthy eating together.

I lost 53 pounds using Weight Watchers. It is my understanding that Weight Watchers and TOPS both have programs for children.

It is easier to lose weight with a planned out program such as Weight Watchers.

Good luck!

mhall6252 responded:
You are doing the absolutely correct thing for your daughter - addressing the problem now! Not only does she have looming physical health issues, but she is probably facing emotional issues if other kids are teasing her because of her size. Kids her age can be brutal, because they've not learned how to be sensitive or "politically correct."

Is it possible for you to have a separate mealtime so that you and your daughter can eat your healthy meals and not have to sit and witness the relatives' indulgence? Perhaps you could get her involved in the menu planning and preparation, making it a special time for the two of you. Letting her help in the decision-making process will make it feel less like she's missing out on something.

And don't forget to engage her in some regular activity, again perhaps something you can do with her. Taking walks, jumping rope, using a hoola-hoop, anything that gets both of you moving and having fun.

Keeping the focus on having fun together will help to keep both of you motivated. She'll be able to share experiences with her friends that are unique. And you will be teaching her how to make healthy decisions about her diet...because soon enough, she'll be a teenager and it will be harder to influence her eating habits.

Good luck, and let us know how things are going!

Michelle

phototaker responded:
I so totally hear your concern for your daughter's health. I used to teach 2nd grade, so luckily she's young enough not to be picked on by others in her class, I hope.

One of the things that would be wonderful to do with your daughter is getting in a daily walk together for at least 30 minutes. It would give you quiet mom and daughter time, and help her get off some weight. It will also be good for her mood, her heart, cholesterol, and her blood sugar numbers.

Try not to use the word diet with your daughter. It's not a diet, but a new way of eating healthier. Can you have your daughter help you cut up vegetables or prepare healthy snacks for you both? It's not all about salads. Maybe you can try to make some meals that look appetizing to the others. You could be "their" role models. Possibly you two could eat at a different time than the other relatives. I would think that would be so hard. Your daughter is so lucky to have you.

Some great little in between snacks could be:
a small cut up apple, string cheese or almonds
small low fat popcorn bag
"one" no sugar pudding cup or sugarless jello
melons and berries for fruit, blueberries(but not a lot)
celery with low sugar peanut butter
one little less sugar oatmeal packet

The yogurt, unless it's plain, has a lot of sugar in it.

I love having chicken or tuna with salads. Be careful to only serve her one can of tuna a week, because of mercury in the tuna. You can make vegetables, steamed, like asparagus, green beans, squash, etc. Try making some vegetable soups, too. That's filling.

You can get her a jump rope and have her do this with her relatives. I used to do this a lot as a kid.

Put some music on and everyone dance. The other relatives can do this too.

Good luck!!!

phototaker replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle, we must have been writing at the same time, and had the same ideas! LOL

The idea is to make this fun for her. You could even make different color sugarless jello. Make it look pretty and share it with the other relatives.

prettygirlsmommy replied to phototaker's response:
Thanks PHOTOTAKER~ These are good ideas and seem easy and fun for both of is to do together. My only goal right now is to get her to lose weight, get off the metformin and lower her cholesterol and just feel happy and great about herself! She needs to feel comfortable in her own skin again, and as a woman we know how hard that can be sometimes. I want her to love herself no matter what, but also to love herself enough to take care of her health rather it be mentally, emotionally & physically. Thanks for the ideas, I do hope that we stick to a plan and not give up on eachother! Thank you again!!! :O)

prettygirlsmommy replied to mhall6252's response:
Thank you mhall6252~ She hasn't got teases as much as I thought she would (at least she has not told me, she's afraid of me going to her school). But even though kids can be cruel, she insults herself more than others. She says she's ugly and fat and no one likes her. But she has a lot of friends, she is a likeable person, she sweet and has a big heart. But I am trying to teach my daughter that it doesn't matter what others think of you it all about how you carry yourself. Be and feel confident and you'll acheive anything! Thank you for your advice, all these ideas seem great and something we can do together and enjoy. We have been eating at seperate times, we actually eat earlier and while their eating we'll walk to the park and she'll play tag with her cousin. pluse next week basketball starts, so she'll be busy with practice 2x's a week, plus games. I even invested in a Wii so she can play tennis. I'm also thinking of getting her in dance. I will let you all know how "we" do.... thanks for the support! :O)

phototaker replied to prettygirlsmommy's response:
It sounds like you're already doing all the right things for your daughter. A Wii game, with bowling, water skiing, dancing, would be great. It would even involve the other children in the family, if there are any, or even the relatives who eat unhealthy. It would be good for everyone.

Eating at a different time is great, as are your walks to the park. Wow, baseball...you're definitely doing all the right things!!

The things you are telling her are wonderful, but unless she feels it inside, she won't believe it. It sounds like her friends like her, even though she doesn't quite believe it yet.

Keep being the supportive mom you are, and she'll come around. Just listen and be there for her, like you are now.

Let us know how she's doing. You can tell her we'll be interested in her progress!

prettygirlsmommy replied to cookiedog's response:
cookiedog~ Yes I do have a weight issue (now) I am over weight but it's not something that I am not controlling. To be honest I was thin all my years until I got into a relationship. I'm 5'4 and I weighed 134 pounds, a size 8 when I meet my fiance I went up to 150, then 183 short after I got pregnant and became hypoglycemic and had hypertension had to enduce labor. When I gave birth to my daughter I was 242 pounds and a size 24. I then went down to a size 22, 20 and then 18 weighing at 223, I stayed at this size for a while, I did go down to 216 but pants size still the same just a little lose. It was then I decided I was done feeling like crap and looking like crap. I joined a kick boxing class I had lost 15 pounds, I would do the workouts at home, I would go for walks during lunch and after diner. I changed the way I ate and cooked. I ate lighter and healthier (my daughter followed along). I started using Turkey, chicken and fish, olive oil to cook, I baked, boild and grilled, very seldom did I pan fry. I used zero calorie sweenters, drank green tea plus my working out I ended up going from a size 18 to a 16 then to 13 then to a 11. So from 216 to 177 I had lost 39 pounds and since then I gained 20 pounds back, by not sticking to my plan and staying on track. Within time losing my house, my job my care for my health went along with it. I was depressed and lost motivation. I got weak and just said "forget it!!" But I am back on my feet after 2 1/2 years and I am ready to get my liffe back in order. It's hard to get back on and I'm doing it slowly, but at least I'm taking an initiative to make a change and be consistant. It's sad that my daughter has to suffer with health problems, but I will do everything in my power to help her. I actually thought about getting on Weight Watchers for my daughter and I, thank you for the thought! :O)

living2sing responded:
My daughter was also diagnoised at age 7 with insulin resistant obesity. What really works for us is seeing a dietician. We were able to see one in the endocrinologist office at the time. She really helped to keep us on track. It was fortunate that our insurance covered her. Keeping my child active is another thing that has really helped my daughter. I challenged her and put her in soccer and swimming classes. Going to the park and letting her play on the aparatus is great too. I park the car further away so we end up walking more too. Exercise is key. Take baby steps. Keep working and educating her. She needs your support and encouragement!

beccasmurf responded:
Several others have mentioned talking with a dietitian, exercising with her, and changing meal time, but I also think it is very important to get her involved in meal planning and making decisions for healthy choices.

It can be as simple as a sticker chart, with stickers for: exercising, eating her vegetables, being able to identify correct portions, helping you "cook" a healthy meal, getting enough sleep and any other healthy activities you want to include. Ask her what non-food she would like as a reward starting small (one week) and working big (four one week sheets).

You can also have her write about how she is feeling, what all she has done that day, and her frustrations. This will help her to see that by making healthy choices, she has more energy, and feels better.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 at 8 years old, a week before Halloween. One of the first things my mum did was help me make "deal-a-meal" type cards. Each card was portion sized and food groups were in different colors. I would pull them from the food side to the energy side of the envelope (actually two envelopes taped together). To the kids at school I just had some colored index cards in an envelope, but I got serving sized down pretty quick.

A big part of it is to support her and to have her take ownership of her health. After all you can't follow her around all the time, and she will rebel when she is not being watched, unless she is doing this for herself. The habits she starts now, will follow her for a very long time.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.