Skip to content
A1C= 6.3
An_202837 posted:
I was just approved for a life insurance policy. A blood test was performed all of my numbers--HDL and LDL, for example--were in the normal range, except for my A1C. This means, according to the insurance company, pre-diabetes. My age is 34 and my BMI is 27.0. My father did develop Type II diabetes; my mother, no. I am not obese though I do have excess weight in abdominal area. I had been taking fish oil supplements for months prior to the exam. Fish oils contains tecopherol (vitamin E). Vitamin E, according to web MD, may skew the results of A1C. My questions are: is there enough vitamin E in fish oil supplement to skew the results of an A1C study? How often do thinner folks develop diabetes? Thank you for your time.

DavidHueben responded:
Anon:

I have no idea how much fish oil you take, but assuming it is reasonable, I doubt it would have much impact (if any) on your A1C.

You are correct. An A1C of 6.3% is an indication of pre-diabetes. What was your fasting blood glucose result?

While being overweight or obese is a key risk factor for developing diabetes, it is not a given that overweight people will develop. Conversely, there are people who are thin that develop diabetes. I do not know an exact number.

Losing the excess abdominal fat will help improve your glycemic control.

You also have a family history of Type II diabetes. That is also a key risk factor.

David
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr

auriga1 responded:
Can't answer your question regarding the Vitamin E in fish oil.

Dr. Michael Dansinger, the medical expert on this forum, has stated that approximately 10% of the diabetes Type 2 population are on the lean side. Yes, you can develop diabetes Type 2 if you are thin. I was underweight when diagnosed.

leopo76 replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you for responding! I went to the doctor (at Kaiser Permanente) and showed her my lab results, and A1C of 6.3, and she explained that given my A1c and my family history of Type II diabetes on my paternal side of the family, I definitely had diabetes. She diagnosed me with DMII, controlled.

She explained that with proper diet and exercise I could bring the A1C down. I asked her about the possibility of my diabetes being of the Latent Autoimmune Diabetes (TYPE 1.5) variety, because I was on the leaner side and did not have all the characteristics of Type II (such as being obese, for example). She explained that Type 1.5 was not even recognized by the American Diabetes Association, so she through that notion out the window right quick.

Also, I told her that the ADA considers an A1C count of 6.5 or higher to be diabetes; an A1C of 6.3, according to ADA was considered Prediabetes. She said that Kaiser uses a different criteria. She ordered a diabetes blood panel for next week and recommended that I monitor my blood glucose levels over the weekend. Ten minutes later while I'm dressing in the room, the doctor calls and says she's canceling the diabetes panel and instead ordering a 2 hour Glucose Tolerance Test for Monday to determine if I truly have diabetes. She told me to eat extra starches and carbs for 3 days prior to test.

I have been following orders and eating a lot of carbs and starches. I've been monitoring my blood glucose levels; so far, all of my home tests pre-meal and post-meal have been perfectly normal.

My questions: Is it possible to get a false reading on an A1C test from a Life Insurance Company? Is it possible to have an A1C of 6.3 and have normal blood glucose levels? It's a little confusing to me. Thank you so much for writing me back!

DavidHueben replied to leopo76's response:
Leopo:

Just a couple of thoughts:

As was previously stated, even those who are not overweight can develop diabetes.

An A1C of 6.3% is suggestive of at least pre-diabetes and in some circles would be considered diabetic. In either case, it is highly treatable. Often times it can be treated with some changes to your nutrition habits and an increase in exercise. It might require a nominal dosage of an oral diabetes medication, but not always. In my case, my A1C was 6.6% at diagnosis and is now 5.4%.

Although the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) is not used frequently in diagnosis of non-gestational diabetes cases, it can be a valuable tool as a "tie breaker" when the diagnosis is a close call. I also had an OGTT when I was diagnosed.

My best advice is to have the test and see what your doctor says. Good luck and try not to stress too much.

David

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr

leopo76 replied to DavidHueben's response:
Thank you, David, for your response and encouragement.

phototaker replied to leopo76's response:
Hi Leopo, I also have Kaiser and when diagnosed with diabetes at an A1C of 6.7, was told by my doctor to try diet and exercise to bring this down, which I did, without medicine. I would take the test as David suggested, definitely. Then, I would start eating a little differently, using a really good eating plan, lowering your carb levels, eating whole grain products rather than anything white, rice, bread, pasta, etc., lots of vegetables, some lean proteins, (fish, white meat chicken, nuts, etc.), and some fruit that doesn't send your sugar up, like using melons and berries. You should have your A1C down doing these things, plus exercise. By the way, my mom also had diabetes at age 40. I didn't get it until 60. My A1C now is 5.9. I did get it down to 5.8 once.

phototaker replied to leopo76's response:
Hi Leopo, I also use Kaiser as my health facility. I agree with David that you should have the fasting glucose test done and whatever else the doctor suggests for testing. You should have your cholesterol tests done at the same time, too.

I just checked my records and found I was at an A1c of 7.0 when I was diagnosed over four years ago. I have brought my A1C down to 5.9 with diet and exercise alone.

If you are found to have pre-diabetes, I would get very serious about this, and start eating like you are a diabetic, and exercising at least 30 minutes a day. This will prevent you from possibly getting diabetes. I was diagnosed when I was 60. My mom was diagnosed at 40. I believe she got her diabetes sooner from stress and stress eating. She got up to a size 20 one time, and then down to a size 12, which is where I am right now. I'm taller, so it's a fairly good weight for me.

After the testing, stick to whole grain foods, rather than anything white, like rice, bread, or pasta. You can have lots of vegetables, make salads, use leaner meats, fish, (salmon, etc.)eggs(limit if you have high cholesterol), beans, nuts, like almonds and walnuts, and some fruits that don't send your sugar up like melons and berries. Some people have no trouble with a small apple. If you eat this way, you might be able to keep diabetes from becoming full bloom. You're in a good stage now to keep your pancreas working well. Some people aren't able to do this by diet and exercise alone, as their pancreas loses function. I mostly ate pretty healthy until a few years before my diagnosis. Then, I was eating sweets and saturated foods, like hamburgers, chips, etc. I was emotionally stress eating, and gained about 20 lbs. That brought on my diabetes. Some people eat healthy, and it just happens. That wasn't my case. I've since retired from teaching, and feel so much less stress now, making it easier for me to eat better.

Hope this helps a little. Let us know your test results. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.