Includes Expert Content
Fish Oil-
barb10562 posted:
Can anyone tell me about fish oil? I have recently begun taking it after reading about its benefits.And also because my doctor recommended it. Id like to hear everyones input- thanx

DavidHueben responded:
Barb:

I have been taking fish oil capsules for years. Supposedly it helps raise HDL levels and is a good source of Omega-3's. I don't take a ton, just one in the AM and one in the PM.

My HDL is up to desirable levels, but that is purely an anecdotal obsevation. I can't prove that it is the fish oil instead of better nutrition.

David
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr

phototaker responded:
Barb, I "just" started taking Fish Oil capsules too, one a day.
I think they're really good for diabetics. I just read an article how it helps your eyes, especially macular degeneration.

The American Heart Association says it helps your heart arrhythmias and other things.I wished I'd had known that sooner from my heart doctor, as I would have taken it years ago. Here's the article:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632
This one tells how much to take...but you should check with your doctor on that, because it said too much can cause bleeding.

http://www.webrn-maculardegeneration.com/how-much-fish-oil.html

betaquartz responded:
My wife and I have been taking them for several years now with no ill effects. They supposedly help with the HDL/LDL ratios, and it seems to work some for us. My family history is one of bad cholesterol and heart disease, so I try to do anything I can to improve the chances of surviving.

flutetooter responded:
I have been taking "fish oil" for years and recently my doctor said that for me and my genetic background and higher blood pressure and cholesterol in the past, 3 grams of EPA/DHA (combined) Omega 3 fats was the right amount.

The sum of the EPA/DHA Omega 3 amounts on the label tell you how much of the good stuff you are getting. The pills may have a lot of fillers of other oils that you don't need. Cheap pills from bottom (of the river) dwelling fish may also have toxic mercury. I use pharmaceutical quality molecularly distilled Omerga 3 oil. capsules. There may be some web sites that rate the quality of the fish oil capsules.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Hi, I think this article is very good: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/articles/2009/04/08/fish-oil-supplements-epa-dha-and-ala-does-your-omega-3-source-matter?PageNr=1

There is no question about the positive benefits to many people from adequate omega 3 fatty acids; they do help to improve the good:bad cholesterol ratios for most people and they have a positive impact on inflammation. For some individuals this means less pain from inflammatory sources such as arthritis and inflammatory bowel disorders. For me it helps control carpel tunnel pain. I think this article gives a balanced assessment of both supplements and food sources and talks about the risks and benefits of taking them.

It's important to know that these supplements CAN increase bleeding risk in some people, so like all medications your health care provider should be aware of your decision to take them, and it should be pointed out to anyone who is going to perform surgery on you of any kind.

Finally I agree with this article that if you have any problem with the medication "repeating" on you that freezing the capsules and taking them frozen will help to reduce or eliminate this side effect.

Kind regards, Laurie

betaquartz replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
I have had problems with carpel tunnel for years, and took B-6 for it. After studies came out saying that it didn't work I still continued. For some perception is as good as cure. At the same time who knows, if it lessons my pain in my wrists, it works for me. I have tried going without and found I was in worse shape. I think it is the same with the fish oil, and the ginger, and garlic. All are said to ease ailments, but there are studies that say not.

phototaker replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
Laurie, thanks for this link. In reading the article, they linked to another article which talked about Omega 3's and Omega 6's.
I didn't realize that certain fish like farmed Talipia had more Omega 6's in them, than farmed salmon. The Omega 3's help with inflammation. It was a very interesting read.

I also didn't realize until I read a reader's comment on here that you need to get off fish oil tablets before surgery of any kind. I know my heart doctor makes me bring in all my medications and supplements I take into his office before he changes my medications. I had not let him know I started fish oil tablets, which I will do now. Thank you.

More and more I'm reading about supplements, and how they may also affect me, because now I'm taking other medications that I didn't when I first tried supplements years ago. It's something to consider when trying new things out, like fish oil or Glucosamine/Chondroitin, which I know many people take, also. I think I remember my heart doctor telling me that this supplement has sugar in it. I don't see that on the label. I'll check into that a little more later. I DID notice it had 108mg. of sodium for two tablets. I was surprised to see THAT.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing this information. See how it got me doing more research.

phototaker replied to phototaker's response:
Wow...look at this article on Glucosimine/Chondroitin! It talks about the bad side effects of it. It DID mention people who are diabetic in the article, and how some can be affected. It also mentioned if you are allergic to shellfish, etc., that this is put into this product. It was interesting to read.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/194765-bad-effects-of-glucosamine/

DavidHueben replied to phototaker's response:
The article also says that the side effects are rare and generally mild.

Also, did you know you can use the link icon on the editor toolbar to make any website URL you post clickable? That makes it a lot easier for others to go straight there without having to do a "cut and paste" into the browser.

DMH
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr

phototaker replied to DavidHueben's response:
I never even saw this toolbar, even after all the postings I've done. I see a spot with a camera, too. Is that how people are putting those photos are here? Geez....

So I highlight the website, click, paste, and "then" click on the link icon? I'll try that. This was another study done. I see it does mention glucose levels in it.

http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm

YES! The link worked this time. When I tried it elsewhere, it didn't. Thanks David! Sometimes it takes a few times to get something in my brain!!!

DavidHueben replied to phototaker's response:
Yes, that is how you post an image. You can also do bold, italics, underline, ordered lists, etc.

DMH

phototaker replied to DavidHueben's response:
What would I do without you, David! Thanks always for your help. Oh...so that's how you've been doing your words in bold letters.

kouj60 responded:
I've been taking 1000mg capsules 3x a day for several years, mainly on the recommendation of a cardiologist at University of Rochester to reduce my cardiac irritability (atrial fibrillation and flutter). I also started a new to me antiarrhythmic at about the same time. I incidentally had low HDL for which I also started sustained release niacin and Lipitor. All this gemisch has led to high HDL (56) and about zero episodes of AF. I don't know how much of my good numbers are attributable to the fish oil, but I don't think I'll stop anything.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
I take 1 gram capsule per day, which has 600 mg of EPA DHA. Perhaps I should take 2 or 3 capsules per day, or perhaps the whole thing is a waste. While there is little question that fish oil is important in patients who have known heart disease, and is almost certainly worthwhile for patients with diabetes, prediabetes, metabolic syndrome, or obesity, I cannot point to compelling evidence that it helps someone who is healthy without known disease.

Nevertheless, I think it is a good bet, especially since customary doses are pretty harmless and because the potential for benefit is great. The science is highly suggestive, even if not rock solid for benefits in healthy folks.

Also, it is worth noting that experts have made a strong case that omega 3's were much more prominent in the prehistoric natural human diet because omega 3's are present in wild food. Fish is one of the few truly wild foods many of us eat today. Omega 3s are found in meat from wild animals as well as wild plants. Omega 3s from fish are the best, but vegetarian sources cannot be discounted in my view. Unfortunately, one has to go out of one's way to get omega 3s, since the human race has inadvertantly engineered them to very low levels in our food supply.

Michael Dansinger, MD