Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Shaking when blood sugar is normal.
reality64 posted:
I have just recently started paying closer attention to my diabetes. And one of the things I have noticed which is disturbing me, is that when my blood sugar is within the "normal" limits (80-120)....I shake as if my sugar was low. Can anyone help explain why this is? I am really trying to be good about this but feeling crappy all the time makes it difficult.

xring responded:
I also experience that. I used to get low symptoms even at 160. Now I get them at 100-106 & whenever I'm under 100, they become severe. My endocrinologist explained that my body became accustomed to being around 500, so it interprets normal glucose as low & it would improve with time. Well, it has improved some but has never gone away completely.

I also sometimes shake even at 120-140 but without the other symptoms (rapid, pounding heart & sweating).
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison

reality64 replied to xring's response:
Thank you for your reply. At least I know I am not losing my mind. My sugar has not been over 300 but I understand the body does get accustomed to different things if it deals with it long enough. I will relax a little better knowing it will subside at least to some degree after a while.

Thanks again!

Peter_V responded:
Early on my Doc told me to expect that, your body gets used to having high glucose and thinks it's low when it's normal.

Eventually your body will get used to being normal and they will go away.

I never did get the shakes unless my glucose dropped below 70, but then I was only diabetic for a couple months before being diagnosed and getting it under control.

phototaker replied to Peter_V's response:
Peter, I had an 81 yesterday, and I was shaking, too. 81 is not bad, but my body is used to be in the low 100's. I knew other people had talked about that before, so I wasn't concerned.

flutetooter replied to phototaker's response:
I had BOTH a little bit of a shakey "low" feeling today when I delayed lunch for an hour to finish shopping and an unusual "high" feeling this evening after a small dinner of stir fry veggies and ham. At lunchtime I had a Werther's butterscotch drop (5 grams carbs) with me and popped it in my mouth the minute I felt even slightly shakey. I was pretty hungry at lunch but ate mostly salad and fish. It took about 1/2 hour for the slightly low feeling to return to normal.

I don't know why the "high" feeling happened after dinner, but did test my blood sugar and it was higher than usual, so I did some "dancing" while watching T.V. In one hour I tested again and it was down 50 points and I felt great. In a weird way, I am lucky to be able to feel right away when my body is not in the "sugar zone" that it prefers, and I can do something about it that doesn't require medicine.

That said, however, those low and high feeling are sure annoying!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

xring replied to reality64's response:
Reality64,

Also, keep in mind that your doctor may give you some theories about why that occurs but they may not apply to you, therefore his/her suggestions on how to deal with it may also not apply to you.

For example, my endocrinologist suggested that in order to "train" my body to accept glucose over 70 as normal, don't treat a low above 70 unless I'm driving or operating machinery. She also stated that I'm not in any danger unless I get below 40. Well, that may apply to some or most of her patients but it does not apply to me. I've experienced lows of 77-86 & had difficulty walking, speaking, functioning, so I would never delay treating....it's not worth a fall down stairs or anywhere else. On the other hand, my sister (diabetic 25 years) doesn't get symptoms unless she's below 50. She has driven home safely & tested at 44, so my doctor's advice would apply to her, but not to me.

Remember, most of us have been living in our bodies much longer than our doctors have known us.

auriga1 responded:
That has happened to me, too, reality. I obviously ran very high because my first A1C at diagnosis was 13.2. I was immediately put on insulin because I was underweight. The first time I reached 89, I experienced what I thought was a low with all the accompanying symptoms. I was really surprised myself.

Do you run high much of the time to encounter the feelings of hypoglycemia when your sugar is actually normal?

I don't feel the symptoms any longer of a low when my blood sugar is running normal. Only when it dips below 70. It all feels the same to me whether my BS is 69, 54, 43 or 31. I've hit all those numbers and do feel miserable, only because it comes out of nowhere and hits my like a brick wall. Stops me in my tracks. Many times I can't even test and I will have someone else help me with that.

If you can keep within the normal BS ranges, maybe this feeling will go away for you. Good luck to you.

sccart responded:
I consider myself dipping low under 100; I often start getting symptoms then, the first symtom is seeing lights. As my endocrinologist often says: "There's things in medicine we still don't understand."

arealgijoe responded:
RATE of BS level drops can cause hypo Sx, so RELATIVE rapid changes in levels (not always the absolute BS level) can cause hypo Sx, such as shaking etc.

Gomer

reality64 replied to auriga1's response:
I have been running higher than I would like but mostly in the high 100's to low 200's. Lately (and when this most recent low feeling occurred) my sugar has been running in the 170 range.

Thanks for the info and the well wishes. I will be doing my best to keep my sugar in the normal ranges.

reality64 replied to arealgijoe's response:
Gomer,

I had not thought of this...and in hind sight, I would be willing to bet it could have been the cause that day. I did way more exercise that day and the day before than I normally do.

Thanks for the info!

Reality64

reality64 replied to xring's response:
xring,

You know, we certainly have been living in these bodies longer than our doctors have known us and we know our symptoms and reactions better than they possibly could. Thanks for reminding me.

--Always working to be a better me with the help of others.

xring replied to reality64's response:
You're quite welcome.

A couple of months back, I posted about another example of the "patient sometimes knowing what's best:" I couldn't find it so I'll redo it here:

I've had dental issues since birth. After 24 root canals & a complete dental reconstruction (30 crowns), I've learned to interpret the different types of dental pain & what they may indicate.

My current dentist, who I've been seeing for the past 3 years, is very competent & I have complete confidence in him and after several incompetent root canals & poorly-fitted crowns from previous dentists, I don't throw compliments around lightly.

I recently started having pain in two of my front teeth. My dentist showed me on the x-rays that only one tooth had infection (indicated by dark areas). I suggested he do root canals on BOTH teeth but he didn't want to because he showed me the x-ray that indicated infection in only one tooth & he didn't want to do an unnecessary root canal on a tooth that didn't show infection. I insisted that I could recognize the type of pain I was having that told me BOTH teeth needed treatment regardless of what the x-ray showed, & I also said I would be happy to sign a waiver & pay for both root canals if he drilled into the tooth & found no infection.

While he reluctantly drilled into the tooth in question, he suddenly stopped & said, "I can't believe how much infection is coming out of the tooth that showed NO infection on the x-ray; it's even worse than the tooth that showed infection......how did you know?"

I said, "Don't worry, doc, you're still #1. I've been living with these teeth for 58 years & you just met me 3 years ago."

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.