Skip to content

    Announcements

    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/diabetes/

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

    Any idea what could cause low Osmolality with normal Calcium(NA+) levels?
    avatar
    Peter_V posted:
    A recent blood test showed a low measure Osmolality of 273 with NA+ 140, Glucose 111, and BUN 19

    6 months ago I had similar results Osmolality 270, NA+ 139, Glucose 111, BUN 14

    I'm a diabetic and I'm managing it pretty well with diet, exercise and Metformin. According to my meter, fasting glucose levels are generally under 100.
    Other than the diabetes my only current symptoms are muscle pain that lasts for several days after exercising, and occasionally graying out when standing up.
    BP is typically around 118/73
    Meds I'm taking:
    Metformin 850mg twice a day
    Adderal XR 15mg daily (I also have ADD)
    And 2.5mg Lisinopril and 82mg Asprin as prophylactics

    Oh yeah my MCV dropped from 84 last year to 83 on a recent blood test which is below the normal range listed on the results (84-92)

    I have an appointment in a couple weeks to discuss this with my doctor, but I was wondering if this was anything to be concerned with.
    Thanks.
     
    avatar
    DavidHueben responded:
    Peter:

    Your osmolality is not that low. It is just barely out of the "normal range" of 275 - 299. And your MCV is also just one point below the "normal range". I know my doctor would not give either a second thought.

    All your other lab results are normal, with the exception of your fasting plasma glucose level of 111. A few less carbohydrates might fix that.

    I would not worry about anything.

    David
    Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr
     
    avatar
    nwsmom responded:
    Peter, the "normal" range is defined as where 95% of the normal (i.e., healthy) population will fall. That leaves 5% to be a little higher or lower, and still perfectly "normal". Don't panic over such minimal variations from the norm: they are probably within-run and run-to-run variation.
     
    avatar
    Peter_V replied to nwsmom's response:
    I'm not panicking, not even greatly concerned about the BT results.

    I'm concerned about almost blacking several times a day when I stand up and I'm bothered about my muscles hurting for days after exercising (mostly because it impacts the amount of exercise I can do)

    I probably didn't express myself very well, but the main reason I was asking was to see if these BT results might have anything to do with these two symptoms.
     
    avatar
    Peter_V replied to Peter_V's response:
    Oh yeah, the other thing I was interested in is how the osmolality can be low when the other measurements (NA , etc.) are normal or high

    The calculate osmolarity is supposed to be fairly close to the measure osmolality, but in my case the calculated level is 20 points higher.

    I've read that if measured is higher than calculated by more than 15 points this is a serious problem.
    But I couldn't find anything that described why the measure would be that much lower than calculated.


    Helpful Tips

    A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
    Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    82 of 154 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

    Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.