Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is human insulin made from humuan urine?.
An_202863 posted:
I was told by some people that human insulin is made from human urine or as at one time. I would like to know the truth. As I am diabetic and on metformin now, but there is a chance I will have to go on insulin. I do not know if I should believe this or they are just joking with me.

arealgijoe responded:
I they cloned (rDNA) human urine I would expect the results would be..........HUMAN URINE!

I wonder if I cloned a lamb, I woud gt a wolly-Manouth?

Thanks for the ROFLOL, you put a on my face.

Gomer

laura2gemini2 responded:
human-lispro insulin is not made from urine. It's synthetic insuliln made in a laboratory. Before human insulin they used bovine (cow) or porcine (pig) derived insulin.

How on earth would one make insulin from pee? Urine is all waste products.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD, Anon 158632,

I think someone was joking with you. I'm glad you asked so that you could be reassured.

There's a lot of inaccurate/bad information out there and the only way to know, is to ask on a legitimate site like this one.
Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it. ~Goethe

nwsmom replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Some hormones were originally extracted from urine. The urine was collected from stringently selected donors, under aseptic conditions. (This was about fifty years ago.)

phototaker responded:
I'm glad you could ask this question. I know I wouldn't know how insulin was made unless I looked it up on the web. Are you diabetic? Do you use insulin?

Anyhow, stop by again, and learn more. I always do here.

xring replied to nwsmom's response:
Maybe it isn't so unusual. I read that Premarin is made from horse urine.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison

mrscora01 replied to xring's response:
Xring, you are correct. Premarin is made from PREgnant MARe urINe.

As for the insulin, whoever said that insulin was made from urine was pulling the OPs leg.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

xring replied to mrscora01's response:
Hmmm. I wonder if most women know that.

And, would they still take it if they knew?

arealgijoe replied to xring's response:
I have heard of wives dringking their husband's urine, forget why.

Xring, dont consider becoming an astronaught, they re-cycle urine for drinking, in outer space.....or do they?

How much water would they have to have on board at the space station for the crew......water is only about 8lbs per gallon.

Gomer

xring replied to arealgijoe's response:
Yuk & Yuk

I did watch "127 Hours" yesterday & a trapped hiker had to do that but I had to turn away.

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE replied to xring's response:
Interesting discussion! Despite how awful it sounds, urine is actually sterile within the body unless one has gotten a urinary tract infection. Historically physicians and scientists would taste the urine of someone suspected of having diabetes to determine whether or not they had the disease. Can you explain why?

arealgijoe replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
Mygoodness, that's far too EASY............

When our blood sugar gets too high our kidneys TRY and correct it by eliminating excess blood sugar via urine. (aka spillage).

In ancient times they tested for diabetes by seeing if bees were attracted to the urine sample.

When I started fighting the D-dragon urine testing was the ONLY home test available, test-tape replaced home chem labs........lol Test-tape testing for urine sugar was CONVIENT and easier than today's glucometeres. just teat off a bit of yeller tape and dip oro wet it as you went (easier for us guys).
If the tqape stayed yellow under about 180 or so GREAT.If it turned pea (not pee) green you were a little high, if it turned dark gree eeks! and a real bad test was when it went past gree and turned BLUE... NOT GOOD!

Once upon a time urine testing WAS the diagnostic criteria for diabetes Y/N. When I was in the navy and in sick bay, I was told if I could pass a urine sugar test that morning I could return to active duty and forget it ever happened.

Gomer

xring replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
I guess it would taste sweet. I've heard urine is sterile (and perspiration too).

There were sure some brave doctors & scientists back then.

I've always had a sweet tooth but......not for recycled sugar LOL.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.