Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why Some May Avoid Type 1 Diabetes Complications
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
After years of living with diabetes , complications can occur, including problems affecting the eyes, heart , kidneys , and nerves.

However, some type 1 diabetes ''veterans'' seem to escape many or most of these diabetes complications, according to a new study:

Why Some May Avoid Type 1 Diabetes Complications

Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it.
~Goethe

arealgijoe responded:
Not currently LABELED as a type-1, have been labeled as T1, T2 and other, so take you pick.

I did get antibody testing but that was after starting a MS med that works by altering autoimmune response. My AI labs were boarderline, but I also have MS and Psorasis, both AI diseases and having one AI issue increases odd of having others. My thyroid AB levels were also boarderline. (I am back on thyroid med again)

One factor in my mind is Type-1s get diagnosed FASTER / SOONER, than most type-2, so they do not usually go for many years with slow progression from normal to damaging levels of blood sugar. Sometimes diabetes is only caught AFTER complications have already taken hold.

When I started having kidney function decline, the neuro did a more complete look at my retinas than any doctor ever had. Usually diabetic kidney decline/failure is connected with retina signs, I had none. I did have diabeticrelated cataracts in both eyes, plus regular age related cataracts.

For decades, since the mid 80s, they thought my neuro issues were diabetes related, but , lo and behold they found most were from long standing undiagnosed MS.

My vvision is better than in a long time, my kidney function up a bit and stable (??) but I also have better than ever control over my diabetes in recent years and especially since starting the MS med.

My diabetes has NOT progressed as typical of t-2, nor do I have much insulin resistance (despite gainning a few pounds, my insulin dose is LOWER..go figure??).

Bottom line... I still think it has a lot to do with type-2 NOT being detected as early or quickly. Type-1s are also put on injected insulin right away, and that may also be a factor.

* The more we KNOW, the more we know we Don't know. *

Gomer,

xring responded:
I have stated that "What we don't know about diabetes would fill more volumes than what we do know."

Good timing for this issue, Caprice. My sister (diabetic 25 years) is part of a research program in San Diego, CA that is studying this very topic. Her BG control (according to her nurses) is mediocre - poor - A1c's for the past 25 years are between 7.0 - 9.0, absolutely no exercise & on daily insulin. Her BG ranges from 40 - 450 & she's also overweight. She's had minimal neuropathy & retinopathy & no other problems.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison

krhudson responded:
Great information. I hope many Diabetics can avoid the long term complications. Very interesting. I am one that at 55 and 35 years a Diabetic type 1 have had no complications. My A1Cs were always 7.0 to 7.5 until coming on here when I hit 8.00 and now consistantly at 6.7 - 6.8 for almost a year now!

krhudson

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.