Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Feet itch under skin and are sore
Gomez3000 posted:
Not sure if this has anything to do with my diabetes or not... My feet feel like they are constantly itching and it is driving me crazy... It is my whole foot from just above the ankle down to toes. It is not on the top of the skin, it feels like it is down deep inside. Also my feet are sore and hurt when I try to massage or scratch the itching.

Is this something I should see a doc for immediately or is there some rememdy that I can do to stop the problem??

My blood sugar has gone up a bit from around 115-1120 to around 140..high but not outrageous.

mhall6252 responded:
Have you considered that this could be caused by something as simple as your laundry detergent or fabric softener? It sounds like it's in the area where your socks are making direct contact with your skin. Are you having itchiness anywhere else?

Best bet is to have your doctor check it out and perhaps refer you to a dermatologist. But in the meantime, there is no harm in trying products for sensitive skin (scent-free detergents, for example) to see if it makes a difference.

I am generally not allergy-prone. But for some reason, I can't tolerate the solid detergents or that new fabric softener bar that you can attach inside your dryer. It makes me itch anywhere that my clothing has close contact with my skin. There must be some "binding" ingredient that sets me off.

Good luck getting this figured out.

Michelle

Gomez3000 replied to mhall6252's response:
Ok I will check that out... Thanks for the reply..

laura2gemini2 replied to Gomez3000's response:
I had an issue a while ago where I had athletes foot that was like how you describe. Instead if it being between my toes it was all over (I had really bad sugar readings for a time) and it didnt go away with stricter control of sugars.

Check the easy stuff first, like what mhall said, then try either a dermatologist or podiatrist.

xring responded:
If it's athlete's foot, a product that works great is "Fungi Cure."
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison

dianer01 responded:
Gomez,

If there is no sign of irritation on your skin, I would ask your doctor at the next visit.

I have neuropothy from a back injury and while the cause is different, the result is much the same. There are some days my skin will just crawl and other times it feels like someone is stabbing different parts of my foot or leg. Sometimes if I am real tired it feels like I have on a sock which is too tight.

If my blood glucose is high I tend to have more symptoms than if it is under control. Most of the time it feels like I have stepped on the sticky side of duct tape.

If you are showing signs of rash or skin irritation, I would seek treatment fairly quickly but if your skin is in good condition and there is no sign of irritation, for sure ask at your next appointment.

life66 responded:
My husband is a diabetic and his feet itch so bad it wakes me up at note can someone tell me what's going on and what to do

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.