Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    diabetic w/HBP then BP drops
    mmmsmiling posted:
    My husband was inform of his diabetes couple of weeks ago, we have done good with bringing sugar down to 112 but every now and then his BP drops down to 112/62 and he feels bad. normally it runs 137/85 or higher. What do you do to bring your BP up abit?
    mhall6252 responded:
    Good job with getting the glucose levels in line. As for the BP, is he on meds? If so, then he might need an adjustment. You should consult his doctor for some advice. I don't think that 112/62 is terribly low, but I can see how it might make him fee light-headed.

    When my hubby was losing weight, he would get a bit low after playing golf. I found that giving him a drink - something like Propel that is no sugar but does have some electrolytes helped maintain his level. Adding a bit of fruit juice to water or eating an orange or other high potassium fruit might also do the trick. Be careful if you choose bananas - they are quite carby and tend to cause a spike. Even drinking a brand of bottled water that has a bit of potassium could make a difference. Surprisingly, not all bottled water is just pure water. Look at Dasani, for example.

    DavidHueben responded:

    I am not sure why you would want to try and raise the blood pressure. A BP of 137/85 is a little too high, especially since he has diabetes and has an increased risk of cardiovascular and kidney disease.

    He should raise this issue with his doctor.

    Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr
    krhudson responded:
    normal BP is 120 or less now. 137 is considered a little high like David mentioned. My blood pressure varies a little. My Dr. said whenever I am at the store with a machine to test my BP and let him know my findings next time I see him. When I am at his office my number is at 137 to 140 but they also know when being tested at the Dr.'s office the number could come in a little elevated.

    The best number is below 120 which is now considered normal. 112 is great. See the Dr. to figure out why 112 is causing your husband to feel bad. It could be that the blood sugar is now closer to normal levels and feels unfamiliar and bad compared to the blood sugars your husband used to have.

    My blood sugars for a long time seemed to run an average of 140-150 which for me felt normal and now that I am around 80-120 most of time it did feel different at first and I had to adjust to feeling different. It took about 3-4 months to work my way out of that feeling of rather hyper in comparison. Now that I have made those adustments I know immediatly when my blood sugars are higher and it feels terrible when I am over 160 a couple hours after a meal.

    See if your husband is getting the bad feeling a couple hours after a meal if his blood sugar shoots up slightly before coming back to 112.


    Helpful Tips

    A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
    Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    82 of 154 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

    Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.