Skip to content
Odd Pump Question
beccasmurf posted:
I'm thinking about going on the pump, but I have some odd questions. As I understand it, the needle will need to be taped down to the skin. Unfortunately, I am allergic to most adhesives (band-aids, medical tape, ect). So what I am wondering is:

1) Am I right that the needle needs to be taped down?

2) Are there different types of adhesives?

3) Is it possible to get some samples, so I can see if any are okay for me to use? (I've asked my Dr's and a pump company, but I never seem to get them.)

4) Can something like athletic tape that wraps around a large area, but sticks to itself be used?

mrscora01 responded:
I know some folks have problems with the tape that is attached to the insertion set and what they do is find something that works for them, and use it as a base and simply inject the insertion set through that tape. So you tape the adhesive from the set to the tape you have already put down.

I know that once you have a pump, they will send you free samples to try, but I'm not sure of before the purchase. Have you asked them about hypoallergenic tapes?

I would highly recommend a pump. I loved mine. You can get great control andn while you have to test a lot and work at it, it can be nice to sleep in and skip meals or add a dessert on occasion.

I pumped for 5 years before my transplant so feel free to ask questions about pumps.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

laura2gemini2 responded:
I have the same problem with adhesives! All kinds of tape, even the paper tape, make my skin break out. I use a pump as well. There is a type of alcohol swab that when put on the skin makes a kind of layer of sticky that the lead sticks to. Its not adhesive sticky...I dont know what it is exactly.

The product is called a barrier wipe. I'll check tonight and see what brand makes it.

beccasmurf replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Thank you, that would be incredibly helpful! It is nice to know I'm not the only one with this type of reaction.

laura2gemini2 replied to beccasmurf's response:
Sorry I'm late with this.

What I use is made by ReliaMed. Its called a "protective barrier wipe". It says it creates a barrier coating which bonds to the skin, and it doesnt have to be removed from the skin after changing sites (it just washes off).

feelinghigh replied to laura2gemini2's response:
I had the same problem with being allergic to the tapes. I use the same thing Laura is talking about, "protective barrier wipes". The one I use is made by Bard. It's latex free and comes in a box of 50 wipes. I think i paid $12.00 for it.

teddybear200 responded:
I am also allergic to Latex - the adhesives is my problem not so much the tape but the adhesive contains the Latex.

Every tape, bandage, coverings etc....has to say Latex free or I go into anaphylactic shock. I am usually safe with Tegaderm.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

beccasmurf replied to teddybear200's response:
Wow! I didn't realize latex was in the adhesive too. I'm not to the point of anaphylactic shock. I just start itching really bad after a few minutes. If I leave it on for more than, say 10 minutes, I get a really red rash. Any longer than that and it starts to look like I have been playing in poison ivy.

Thank you all so much for the information!

laura2gemini2 replied to teddybear200's response:
I love tegaderm. I use the sheets to cover my CGM (because I have a tendancy to accidentally knock it off). So far that's the only thing I've found that doesnt make my skin looked like it's been burned. I request it whenever I go to the hosiptal for my IV.

teddybear200 replied to beccasmurf's response:
beccasmurf - I have to read all labels for everything. Chances are you too could be allergic to latex. You can get tested by an allergist.

I had to in 1995 when I had a test done and the instrument was covered with a latex glove. I broke out everywhere - and within 40mins I went into anaphylactic shock.

The allergist put a piece of latex on my skin and covered it with tape, and then a piece with a drop of fluid and covered it - the second test with latex and fluid caused a severe reaction which sent me to the hospital.

I have to stay away from Kiwi, bananas because they grow on rubber tree plants (latex). So please be careful with the bandages you buy make sure it says Latex Free.

teddybear200 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
laura - I also use Tegaderm for my IV's. They don't rip the skin off either.

beccasmurf replied to teddybear200's response:
Thank you both so much for the information!

I haven't experienced any problems with latex over the years, just adhesives. I gave up on bandages when even hypoallergenic ones gave me a rash. I tend to just put a gauze pad on it and wrap it.

sumers101 replied to beccasmurf's response:
Tegaderm or its equivalents work for me-I am a retired nurse and allergic to adhesives. Even paper tape irritates my skin if it is on too long-however, I worked in the Operating Room and never had problems with latex.

An_202871 replied to sumers101's response:
I am not allergic to latex. But bandaids and tape, even paper tape on sensitive skin more than a day will make me break out . I have had weepy blisters that were worse than the injury the tape was covering. Tape on my hands is fine but not legs or arms especially the inside.

However Tegaderm patches can be left on for days with no problems. I ahd one for close to 2 months without any problems. They com in several sizes from about 2"x3" to 6" or 8" square. Maybe larger.

Ask your doctor if he has one that you can try to see if it works.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.