Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Introducing Dr. Ramani!
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
No worries, Dr. Dansinger and Laurie Anderson aren't going anywhere.

Our expert team is being joined here by Dr. Ramani Durvasula!

Dr. Ramani brings a psychological focus to dealing with a chronic condition such as Diabetes, and works with people to help them understand why they make the choices they do about their own health care as well as help empower them to make lasting changes to live longer, richer lives.

These are things I know you already discuss here and I hope you'll include her in any future discussions and feel free to shout out to her when you particularly want to hear from her.

Please join me in welcoming Dr. Ramani!
Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it.
~Goethe

DavidHueben responded:
Welcome to Dr. Ramani.

DMH
Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. - General George Patton Jr

mrscora01 responded:
Welcome. The more the merrier.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

mhall6252 responded:
Welcome to the community, Dr. Ramani!

Michelle

teddybear200 responded:
Dr. Ramani welcome to our community.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

phototaker responded:
Welcome, Dr. Ramni! I hope you will be able to share some techniques that can be used with "emotional" eating or the types of therapy that one should seek out for this. Even though I've dealt with issues from my childhood, which included a depressed mom who emotionally ate a lot in front of me, AND I've been to therapy, I STILL struggle at certain times. Is there some therapy, cognitive or otherwise that can help with this?

krhudson responded:
Welcome to Dr. Ramani.

I look forward to your information about why some of us tend to go off tract at times when we have had enough!

One difficult task for many is to find a routine that works each and every day and sticking to what ever works best to keep the complications related to Diabetes at bay.

We know that the more we do correctly each day, the longer we will live. Knowing that, and practicing what it takes daily is the challenge among all of the other daily distractions and being able to balance everything out.

Sometimes it seems like an impossible task especially with long hours at work and less time for exercise and eating right.

I am fortunate that I finally did get my type 1 Diabetes under control perfectly after 35 years and no complications related to Diabetes when under average to good control. I lost 35 pounds and made the diet correct now with more veggies and salads and only other types of carbs when exercising. I only focused on this to the degree of getting it exactly right when I was off work and had time to change my total lifestyle to make it work. Now I am back to work and made my changes work along with it.

I am sure a question from many would be how do you get it right and how do you make the time to get it right. It can be overwhelming and at the same time when blood sugars are above the normal ranges a person most likely does not feel well in the first place in order to drag themselves to make the corrections. Let's hope that with positive attitudes and desire to feel great, the drive to make it right will happen.

krhudson

Ramani Durvasula, PhD replied to phototaker's response:
First of all - thank you for all the warm welcomes from the members of this community.

Yours is an excellent question, and absolutely, therapy is a critical adjunct to understanding emotional eating. Eating is often a portal that leads us to understand other "back stories" in our lives. For example - a client may come to me to work on food issues, and in short order we are addressing issues around loneliness or intimacy - the work shifts in therapy to that, and the eating issues start resolving in parallel. The theoretical modality that would work is partly a function of how you want to work on the problem. I think that cognitive behavioral therapy (addressing thoughts and emotions with the goal of changing behavior) is a useful approach. I myself employ a humanistic existential approach - meeting the client where she is at, listening in an authentic and empathic way, and facilitating personal exploration while encouraging the role of personal responsibility. The critical piece is that you work with a psychologist or licensed therapist that is well versed in scripts around food and emotion and the inherent links between the two. Finally, this struggle will not go away. Emotional eating tends to be a lifelong fallback - there will be times when things are going better, but stress, health setbacks, and other factors can place you at risk for going back to bad eating patterns. The key is to explore the issues, so that when the setbacks occur (and they will occur), you will have more tools in your toolbox to take on the challenge.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Hi Dr. Ramani,
Welcome to the Diabetes Community! I look forward to learning from your insights!

Warm regards,
Michael

phototaker replied to Ramani Durvasula, PhD's response:
Dr. Ramani, I've been toying with trying this new therapist who does things more unconventionally. A therapist friend of mine has tried her and brought up some stuff from childhood she didn't even know existed. I mostly am VERY aware of what grabs me. It is safety fears and abandonment issues. I know "what" I'm feeling and "why". I have many techniques I use to keep myself from eating to "numb" out those feelings. It's the occasional times when I "allow" myself to eat something that I'm concerned about. Why would someone who KNOWS that certain food will hurt them by sending up their blood sugar levels, eat it? It could be something as simple as having pineapple. That's what I don't understand. I'll see if I can work this through with her.

Yes, I agree that the many tools I have in my toolbox are working great most of the time. I'm still working on this.

xring replied to Ramani Durvasula, PhD's response:
Sometimes I'll walk into a room & forget why. But for some reason, I think there will be a clue in the fridge.

Any excuse to eat.....
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.