Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Interesting Snack-Seaweed
xring posted:
I tried a bag of roasted seaweed I found at "Trader Joe's." Pretty interesting - it tastes like it has a lot of salt but the label says only 50mg in half the package. It's sorta crunchy like a potato chip, then it becomes like cooked spinach as you chew it.

The only ingredients besides seaweed are Canola oil, Sesame oil & salt.

I've heard there are benefits to seaweed but I forgot what they are. Anyway, half the bag has 8% Vitamin A & 20% Vitamin C, 2% Iron, 1gm. carb & 1gm fiber. I ate the whole bag.
Politicians should serve two terms.  
One in office and one in prison
FirstPrevious12NextLast

hootyowl2 responded:
No thanks. I tried it once as it was a gift from Japanese friends once. Yuk. It tastes like grass, only slimy. They also make 'chips' out of veggies. Green beans, carrots or whatever. Those were okay.

Hooty

xring replied to hootyowl2's response:

It's an acquired taste. Sorta fishy too, but I liked it.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison

dianer01 replied to xring's response:
I am at Trader Joes almost weekly and Iwill look for it. My Trader Joes snack of choice is their peanut butter filled pretzels. A little high on the simple carbs but a few grams of protien.

What is the salt content? I do not restrict salt but because I am on BP meds I do try to be conciese of it and not add excess salt.

xring replied to dianer01's response:
The label says a serving is 1/2 the bag & it's only 50 gms sodium.

nwsmom replied to xring's response:
Typo allert! xring means 50 mgs of sodium.

xring replied to nwsmom's response:
Newsmom, look how you spelled "alert" when you posted "Typo allert."

auriga1 responded:
Just had a taste of it two days ago. Exactly as you described--tastes like cooked spinach. I like cooked spinach, but these are not my cup of tea for snacking. I'd rather have spinach leaves to makeup a small salad.

Someone else brought them into my house, but I won't be buying any for here. My 19-year old made the funniest face.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
xring--thanks for raising this topic. Many of my patients are looking for something "salty crunchy" that's low in carbs and calories. Roasted seaweed fits the bill.

I tasted this Trader Joe's product and I liked everything except the taste. The nutrition profile and price looked great! Some of my patients do like this product and I've recommend it to many folks.

MSUphysicsFRIB responded:
That sounds great! I'll have to find it. I like seaweed and by bags of it dried (but not roasted) from a local asian market. I put it in hot water to reheat it and eat it with vinegar and sesame oil.

MSUphysicsFRIB replied to MSUphysicsFRIB's response:
I meant to write that I put it in hot water to rehydrate it, not "reheat" it.

nwsmom replied to xring's response:
Xring, I just got up! I was still partially asleep..........

rubystar2 responded:
My ex-husband and I used to make Miso Soup. It had seaweed in it. It was pretty good.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
"I liked everything except the taste" This made me LOL!!!

My daughters are crazy for the TJ's brand. But I won't pack in lunches - the smell is too yucky and they always end up with green between their teeth! School is hard enough...

I tried the Whole Foods brand but it wasn't salty enough, according to the 6 year old.

I've heard you can buy sheets and sheets of seaweed at Asian markets for a fraction of the price. Of course, it will have to pass the taste test

Haylen

xring replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Ah, thanks for the tip. There are 2 Asian markets near me. The bag is only .99 at Trader's but it only takes me a few seconds to eat the whole bag.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.