Skip to content
Best time to take Metformin
Wickedx1 posted:
Hello, I was wondering when would be the best time for my mother to take her Metformin? She normally takes it b4 she goes to bed.

DavidHueben responded:
Wicked:

The best time to take the Metformin is when the doctor says to take it. It can vary somewhat between patients.

Did her doctor tell her that bedtime was the correct time to take the medication?

David
If you don't know where you're going, you'll wind up somewhere else - Yogi Berra

rubystar2 responded:
When I was taking metformin my doctor told me it didn't matter when I took it as long as it was taken regularly at the same time of day every day. I think it's fine if she takes it before bed if she does that routinely every night.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

DavidHueben responded:
Wicked:

Depending upon the dosage and type of Metformin (XR or regular), the peak plasma concentration (Cmax) and time to reach peak plasma concentration (Tmax) will vary somewhat.

But, single daily dosages of Metformin have Cmax and Tmax values well below 24 hours.

Therefore, if the therapeutic effect one is seeking to achieve is to lower fasting glucose levels, then the evening would likely be the best time to take the medication.

If the desired effect is to lower glucose levels during the day, then perhaps a morning dose would be best.

That is why I said it varies from person to person. The doctor's instructions on proper dosing time is my best advice.

My doctor wants me to take my single small dosage (500mg) in the evening.

David
I never did say that you can't be a nice guy and win. I said that if I was playing third base and my mother rounded third with the winning run, I'd trip her up. - Leo Durocher

teddybear200 responded:
Hi it depends on the kind she is taking. There is Metformin regular and Metformin EX or ER which is extended release.

When I was on Metformin ER or extended release and I was told by my Dr and my Pharmacy to always take it with food at dinner time. I always took mine the same time every day at 6pm.

So in all cases it is best to check with the Dr who ordered it to see what the best time would be. Every person is different - what works for one might not work for another.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.