Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Type 2 - bs over 600!
mixsong posted:
My first post - driven here by a late night blood sugar of over 600. My mistake of eating shrimp lomein and fried rice for dinner. I took my evening meds, and it came down to 515 within 30 minutes. I know, I have a long way to get it down to an acceptable number, and that probably means calling my doctor tomorrow and gong back on insulin. I don't want to, because that will mean weight gain for me.

phototaker responded:
Welcome, Mixsong,
I'm sorry to hear your blood sugar went up SO HIGH! That's scary! I'm glad you're calling your doctor and going back on insulin. You don't want to have damage to your body. It's hard when you gain weight, but you want to make sure you're not hurting your body with those high numbers. You're doing the right thing. Good luck!
Please be sure to come back and share again. Maybe other people on insulin can share their successes with you. I know that Cindy loves to bike ride. Gomer has been insulin a long time. There are others, too. Cora knows about a side group of type I diabetics that you may be interested in also.

rubystar2 responded:
Mixsong, definitely call the doctor in the morning but it might not necessarily mean going back on insulin. A dinner of Shrimp LoMein and fried rice is very high in carbs. Perhaps changing what you eat might fix the problem of such a high blood glucose reading. It is imperative to watch our carb intake.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

DavidHueben responded:
Mixsong:

Obviously those are very high glucose levels...possibly even "emergency room" levels.

Although I am not an insulin user, I know several people who are are insulin dependent and they are at perfect weights. They are all very active. One even rides in 50 mile bike competitions on a regular basis.

DMH
I never did say that you can't be a nice guy and win. I said that if I was playing third base and my mother rounded third with the winning run, I'd trip her up. - Leo Durocher

xring responded:
Mixsong,

Think of most fried rice as fried sugar. Unless it is unprocessed, unpolished rice, the bran layer (fiber) has been removed & that allows it to be converted to sugar quickly, since without the fiber, there is nothing to slow down digestion. You are then eating something that has already been partially digested (processed). The only rice I'll eat is wild rice & a serving of it does not spike my blood sugar.

With packaged foods like shrimp lomein, you also have to be careful about the ingredients in the sauces. When food is packaged (or served in a restaurant), there are only TWO concerns - taste and texture. Many use sugars, honey, molasses, etc. besides the breading on the shrimp. When I occasionally eat fried shrimp, I'll peel off the coating which is usually bread crumbs & oil.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.