Skip to content
poison ivy
rcdom posted:
Does poison ivy affect BS readings?

DavidHueben responded:
I doubt that the poison ivy itself affects blood glucose levels.

However, one of the most effective medications for treating poison ivy dermatitis is prednisone (a corticosteroid).

Steroids are known to cause temporary elevations of blood glucose. The good news is that the dermatitis associated with poison ivy is self-limiting (assuming no further contact with the plant) and the need for the medication will go away.

David
I never did say that you can't be a nice guy and win. I said that if I was playing third base and my mother rounded third with the winning run, I'd trip her up. - Leo Durocher

rubystar2 responded:
I would think like any other stress to our bodies or any other illness, the affects of poison ivy might very well raise your blood glucose levels. It is itchy, uncomfortable, stressful and something your body is trying to fight off. I don't know for sure but that is my opinion.
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.