Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Interesting Article
dianer01 posted:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42877380/ns/today-today_health/42798963

This article talks about people with chronic conditions meeting with doctors in a group setting. The results were mixed but both the doctors and patients got a lot out of the group setting.

Thought this was kind of interesting...We may get some of this in group classes but unforunately our doctor is rarely observing.

what do you think?

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Diane,
Thanks for sharing this interesting article.

Anyone out there think they would like to be seen by the doctor in a group setting with others with diabetes or prediabetes (in addition to one-on-one visits at other times)?

arealgijoe replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Decades ago when I was in oncology follow-up, we had group sessions we attended (not optional) after we ahd labs, Xrays etc while waiting to see our regular doc apt. There were always a couple of medical people that ran the sessions. hey were at least informative.

Currently I attend a MS support group, no medical types, jsut others with MS. I also most months attend MS educational dinners/meetings with a guest speaker, most of the speakers are neurologist specializing in MS. So far all of them have a Q & A portion as part of the meeting. I find them VERY helpfull, met some nice doctors. My wife also attends these meetings with me. This setting lends itself to a more informal yet more informative than my regular MS neuro has time for.

If properly done, I am sure this type of thing could be a GREAT asset/resource for diabetics.

Gomer approves.

liladieni replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
I wouldn't mind. Actually, think I would like it, being a learning situation and all. I think it could be very positive with everyone sharing and having some input. As long as I still had one on one visits for other or more sensitive things, I wouldn't mind at all.

dianer01 replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
I think group support is important. I read the people who post here and am sometimes surprised at the lack of education and information some folks have. Then there are times I read what someone else has to say and wonder why I did not know that and will often do more research.

I believe the type of environment described in the article could be very helpful for those who are struggling to control their diabetes and may be resistant to formal education programs. Many are intimidated in one on one situations where they may feel they blend in a little more by a group setting. At least learning by observing.

thanks for your input!

di

laura2gemini2 responded:
When I switched to my new endo, it was required that I go to group diabetes education classes (named, ironically, "think like a pancreas") which were lead by 3 diabetes educators who all had diabetes and took care of it in different ways. I know one had the same medtronic pump I did, one was on oral meds, and I forget what the 3rd one did.

I think I learned the most I ever have from those classes, and not just from the educators but from the others in the classes as well. I wish everyone could have that same experience.

phototaker replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
I have gotten no feedback from my regular doctor at all about diabetes, except testing. I was told about the diabetes classes, which I would have to pay for and did. I also checked with the health education center that Kaiser has in our area AND went to two dieticians, only one being a little helpful. I've learned more on WebMD with everyone here than any of the above.

I would have LOVED to have a doctor led group of diabetics. I suggested it at the health center, but they told me that no one showed up for the meetings, so they disbanded it. I can't believe that no one would show up, if it was done in the right way with a doctor and a dietician who knew about diabetes well. I definitely would have gone, even though it's about 20 minutes from my home.

People have very busy lives, and little time for classes. They have families, babysitters are hard to get or cost too much, and some people have trouble getting to a class, cost of gas no car, etc. I see how the availability of online services can help others, as WebMD has helped me to learn so much more and take care of my diabetes so much better.

arealgijoe replied to phototaker's response:
Back in late 07 when I was going thru another rough patch, I had a 1hr session with a nurse at the local diabetes center. She was a type-1 diabetic herself. She understood things I brought up like NO other ever had. When I said something, she UNDERSTOOD w/o me trying to explain what I was talking about. It was the most productive medial appt I ever had.

I also think, knowing how different type-1 and type-2 can be, seperate sessions based on diabetes type, with at least one of them conducting th metting be living with that type of diabetes. It takes one to know/understand one.

Gomer

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.