Skip to content
HAVE TO GET MY NUMBERS DOWN
An_202921 posted:
I took my BS reading two days ago after not taking it for 5 months and it read 244 in the morning... during the day the lowest I could get it was 178. I wake up every morning and take 1000mg of Glucovance plus 5mg of Onglyza... I've been taking cinnamon twice a day 1000mg.. Yesterday I tried to get it down and added Prandin 1mg to the regimen and consumed only 140 mg of carbs during the day. Woke up today and it read 203... trying to figure how to get these numbers down. If I go without eating until noon will that help? Or is 140 mg of carbs too high spread out through the day. I am trying to avoid the needle as I do have a fear of needles. If I maintain a 200 level will that create major problems or should I worry if only it goes to 300? I've been on these drugs for 20 years and wondering if they are losing there potency... can diet fix this problem? A lot of questions but I am concerned. Anyone else out there getting these results?

laura2gemini2 responded:
If you havent checked your sugar in over 5 months, then you really need to see your doctor and maybe a good diabetes educator to get you back on track with where you need to be. Sugars of 200 are doing damage to your body.

damondj replied to laura2gemini2's response:
I am going back on a strict diet and see if that helps. Just went without eating for 3 hours and my reading is 173 but I know we're supposed to eat steady meals during the day but I want to see what happens if I fast for a day with maybe some moderate snacks...

laura2gemini2 replied to damondj's response:
Not eating will not help, it will only make things worse. Not eating makes your body think its starving, and that causes your liver to pump sugar into your blood. You need to see your doctor, not try to be your own doctor. The "lets see what happens" mentality can be dangerous.

damondj replied to laura2gemini2's response:
I will drink some Glucerna and see if that spikes my BS but I have seen my doctor many times througout the years and he just increases my meds... I go on a diet and that lasts a few weeks. I am not overweight but sticking to a diet of veggies and seaweed does little for me. I go for a A1c in 2 weeks and have to get this down. Will let you know if Glucerna spikes the count or not... the bottle says it prevents sugar spikes. This will be my first meal today...

mhall6252 replied to damondj's response:
Why on earth don't you try to eat real food - lean proteins, veggies, fruits and some whole grains? You don't have to have a diet of veggies and seaweed to maintain good control. And fasting just makes it worse. Chicken, lean beef, fish, seafood, pork loin - these are not exactly seaweed.

Your doctor will continue to increase your meds until you consistently follow a sensible eating plan and take the meds as prescribed. Otherwise, your doctor only assumes that the meds are not working and you need more or others.

I know we've given you this advice before...but until you decide to follow it, you're going to continue to see high blood sugars and the damage that will follow.

Michelle

laura2gemini2 replied to mhall6252's response:
I knew I recognized the name. Diamonj, seriously, we've been trying to give you advise forever now. Reread whats been said. Eventually you either have to start doing what you need to do, or you will start seeing the damange you've been doing to yourself. Drinking a bottle of glucerna will not solve your sugar problems. Starving yourself will not solve it. Not working with your doctor/educator/people who try to help you will not solve it, and it will not go away.

Your call.

damondj replied to mhall6252's response:
You are right as a while back I did get things under control but whenever its under control I think it will stay that way and start eating junk food again. I'm worried now that my meds may have worn off and I won't be able to get it down again... I've been stupid and would be the first to admit it. Laying off cakes and other sweets is tough and I always say.. why does everything that taste good is bad for you and the foods that are not appealing are good for you. Seems like its a no win situation...

mhall6252 replied to damondj's response:
The only way to stay in control is to keep doing the right things, day in and day out, at least 90% of the time. You either do it, or you don't. If you don't then you wear out your pancreas, and you'll eventually need insulin. And the more carbs and crap you eat, the more insulin you'll need. Unless you make a determined effort to reverse diabetes, it is a progressive disease.

It really is that simple.

Michelle

arealgijoe replied to damondj's response:
I suspect you doctor has kept you on orals this long BECAUSE he wither know or suspect you WILL NOT bother doing what is NEEDED! If you will not follow your treatment plan with diet, exercise and orals, HOW could your doctor ever expect you to follow any insulin routine?

When one is on insulin there is little or no option to DO what you NEED to be doing or your will be in for TROUBLE, whcih you are lucky you are not blind or in serious PAIN 24/7 etc already.

YOU are the person that will PAY the PRICE of whatever YOU choose to do or not do. We can post all day, every day about what might help, but its a total waste if YOU are not going to listen to anyone, that includes us, your doctor/s or anyone.

Gomer

laura2gemini2 replied to mhall6252's response:
It also seems like you may have something else that is contributing to your lack of effort. Are you depressed? It seems that you start to do well, then give up, and let yourself get stuck in a funk where you just dont care. Maybe seeing someone about this can help you figure out why you give up so quickly. Everyone every once in a while feels the pressure and thinks that it can be too much, but its when you turn yourself around and say "I deserve to be healthy" that makes it worthwhile.

teddybear200 replied to damondj's response:
Your high numbers can also be from not eating enough good carbs. We need so many carbs and good fats in our bodies for things to work right. (lay men's terms) I am not a dr or nurse.

Going without food of any kind WILL raise our sugars. Junk food is the wrong kind of carbs. In oder to stay in control requires a life time of change not when we feel like it.

Oh and one other thing - you're trying to get your numbers down now because you are having an A1c in 2 weeks.. I have news for you even if you get the numbers down it will not help with your A1c. A1c is based on your blood for the past 3 months.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

auriga1 responded:
No, I'm not getting the kind of results you are.

From my doctor's office:

BS reading in the a.m. or complete fasting 8 hrs or longer should be between 70-100.

Two hours after a meal your BS reading should be between 100-140. Yes, maintaing a 200 level is doing damage to your body, all over. It has a cumulative effect.

Doesn't matter what kind of meds you are on or not. Talk to your doctor and be honest. What are you afraid of? In order to maintain proper blood sugar numbers, you need to work at it. Consistently take your blood sugar readings and limit your carb intake if you want to see any results. If you don't eat right, meds aren't going to help you no matter what the dosage is.

You should be worried. Cut the carbs. Your body reacts to carbs and does not like it. Don't cut OUT the carbs, just the amount. Eat GOOD carbs. There are plenty out there.

There have been excellent suggestions all across this board. See if you can follow them. Otherwise, you will get nowhere.

brunosbud replied to damondj's response:
Some of us can learn without actual experience, and others can only learn through the experience of direct consequence...In other words, "the hard way".

I believe you to be an intelligent person and fully capable of comprehending the numerous posts previously written for your behalf to help you gain control your disease...

I also respect your choice to continue to eat foods that you readily admit to be harmful and counterproductive to your health and well being.

In the big picture, it's not the end of the world. Be true to thine own self, I guess. Here's to hoping your experiments don't cause irreparable harm and congrats on, at least, checking your numbers.

arealgijoe responded:
I went thru diabetes HELL my first few years. It was a struggle to keep some semblence of control, and we did not even have glucometers.

After ovr 30 years, I have great control and its just routine, my NORMAL. I not only have to deal with DIABETES 24/7 but also Multiple Sclerosis, every day. IF you think diabetes is hard, try managing multiple issues EVERY DAY! There are others on here alos dealing with multiple health issues.

The REAL PROBLEM is not the short term issues, your poor control can shorten your life, that NOT the most serious issue, its the LONG term COMPLICATIONS that you WILL be forced to deal with, every day for the rest of your long life.

Not taking care of YOUR BUSINESS could mean living the rest of your life BLIND, in PAIN or missing limbs, once any of these happen it will be TOO LATE! You may ahve decades to live WITH whatever COMPLAICATIONS you EARN by not doing what you should.

Gomer over-&-out!

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.