Skip to content
Advice you DO NOT want to hear....
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Thought this was a great blog post about things said to cancer survivors and care-givers that were completely appropriate and absolutely inappropriate while they were dealing with their cancer journey.

I Know You Mean Well But.....Enough With the Advice!

I thought this community has probably had some unwelcome advice - share what you DO NOT want to hear! It will be helpful for others who might be clueless at times...

Haylen

laura2gemini2 responded:
I love when once in a great while (or when I have a low sugar) I get something from the cafe like juice or a cookie, and the cashier asks me "are you sure you should be having that? You're diabetic ya know". As if I had forgotten.

liladieni responded:
I've got a neighbor, also a diabetic, who is always telling me to cut back on the salt, because I should know too much salt will raise my sugar. And she urges me to "eat this, its got cinnamon and thats good for your sugar"...only it's cinnamon candy she's pushing at me. I've tried talking to her, many times...seems it's just easier to agree with her and do what I think is better when she isn't looking, lol.

arealgijoe responded:
Way way Back, decades ago, when I first got out of the hospital for what turne out to be diabetes; We were bowling and I got a snack, an ice cream sandwitch, my wife almost panicked.

She does not pay too much attention to what I eat these days, in fact she too often fixes less desireable stuff. I fix most of my own meals anyay.

Gomer

laura2gemini2 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Funny thing, today was a party for a coworker graduating with her masters, and there was cake and ice cream. A friend got a piece of cake, and I got a small bite from just the cake part just enough to taste really. Lo and behold behind me someone said "are you sure you should be eating that? it has sugar in it and you cant have any sugar being diabetic and all."

MSUphysicsFRIB replied to laura2gemini2's response:
"Lo and behold behind me someone said "are you sure you should be eating that? it has sugar in it and you cant have any sugar being diabetic and all.""

Turn around, widen your eyes, and then spit the cake out with full force (try to aim for his/her face). Then say, "WHEW! Thanks for reminding me--that was a close one!"

MSUphysicsFRIB replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Just curious, Laura--how did you respond to the cake-bit comment?

MSUphysicsFRIB replied to xring's response:
LOL. I would pay to see that.

I get criticized sometimes for eating "too healthy."

dianer01 responded:
My husband was being food police one day and I finally looked at him and said, " Dear, I am not allergic to sugar, now do you have any other questions?" He got the point.

laura2gemini2 replied to MSUphysicsFRIB's response:
I said that a little bit of cake wont hurt me

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.