Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Monday Muster Check-in June 13
arealgijoe posted:
It.s a tradition here to have a weekly check-in, think of it like the ole family dinner where everyone catches up on each other, News views and how we are all doing.

We have a couple newbies, two of them parents of newly Dx'd young children. WELCOME! Most on here are type-2s, but we have a few type-1s as well. Remember the goals and potiential complications are the same, but type-1 is a different roller coaster, and what may be minor for a type-2, can become critical for a type-1 very quiclky.

MY week was fairly quiet overall. Tomorrow I see a VA doc about the bone tumor in my leg. So I guess I find out then what if anything is to be done. Could be anything from watchfull waiting, to a biopsey to surgery. I also need to make a regular follow-up apt at the VA with my MS neuro. I also have my regular quarterly checkup at the local (non-VA) diabetes center with my ENDO.

Note: for newbies and ole timers here who may have forgotten, I make a few typos here and there, and I am not the worlds greatest speller. I have neuromuscular issues that are complications due to having Multiple Sclerosis in addition to Diabetes. So for me typing, like my wobbly & limited walking is a little harder for me and not the greatest.

How was YOUR week? (Dr. apts or tests etc)

What does this week have in store for you? (Dr. apts or tests etc)

Gomer still has the "ability to persevere" (teen yrs doc, ltr to Navy)

PS: the GOLDEN rule, never goes out of style

DavidHueben responded:
No plans for the week.

DMH
I never did say that you can't be a nice guy and win. I said that if I was playing third base and my mother rounded third with the winning run, I'd trip her up. - Leo Durocher

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to DavidHueben's response:
Thanks for posting Gomer and for the nice welcome!

The Golden Rule is always stylish

My husband just IM'd me that he really wants to do a b-day party for our daughter turning 3 in a few weeks. Sigh. Not my thing! I'd rather go to a party - not plan one!

My husband had his annul physical this week - he did blood work last week. I am very curious to see how he is doing!

Who's next???

Haylen

betaquartz responded:
Last week was rather educational, learning about her ostomy, how to change the appliance, how to pack and dress the surgical wound, and general care.

This week she has Dr.s appointments, hair appointment she hopes the surgeon allows her to go to, granddaughter and I to the movies on Wednesday, and various other errands I have to make. Busy week.

mhall6252 responded:
I have a busy week ahead. Today I had surgery for my port placement. Tomorrow will be an echocardiogram and chchemo training. Wednesday will be my first chemo treatment, then Thursday I will go to the oncologist office for a Neulasta shot, which will stimulate the regrowth of my white cells.

Somehow in the midst of all this, I need to visit my mom and try to do a little unpacking/settling into our lakehouse.

Michelle

phototaker replied to mhall6252's response:
Looks like you have a very busy week ahead, Michelle.Keep us posted on how it goes.

Betaquartz, it sounds like you've both been busy, too, learning about the appliance and how to take care of her wound. What movie did you see with your granddaughter? I think I can guess already.

Haylen, let us know how your husband's tests came out. Haylen, too bad your daughter is not old enough for a bowling party. Those are fun. Why not buy bubbles, and have all the kids go outside and blow bubbles? It's inexpensive and fun. One of my friends had the kids design and wear their own party hats, but I think three is a little young for that.

Today was a day of doing bills, cleaning house, zumba, and planning my retirement health benefits' stuff. I can't believe I'm turning 65 soon!

liladieni responded:
Last week...a 3 day camping trip. Got to see some deer, wild turkeys and bears...one cute little cub sound asleep in the crook of a tree. Couldnt see his momma, so didn't venture too close. Thats what zoom is for on the video cam, lol.

This week...well, a doctor's appointment today. Finally pinned him down on the kidney thing, seems it is stage 3 failure at this point. He's just going to monitor for a while and see what happens. Blood work drawn today, the standard quarterly stuff. Wondering what my A1c is going to look like since my medication has been changed...never have been able to get it under 7 before. Also adjusted my isosorbide to help with the more frequent chest pains and found out the blistering and peeling on my hands and feet is some sort of allergic thing, so I have a cream for that now. Quite a productive visit this time.

The rest of the week looks to be calm and quiet...may let my grandson come spend a night or two, I dont know yet. Anyway...thats how things are in my neck of the woods this Monday.

arealgijoe replied to liladieni's response:
? Idea for Lila........

I like to ahve my labs drawn about 1 week or so BEFORE my quarterly Dr apt. Then we have recent labs at hand at the apt. I also like to get copies of my labs as well, that way I KNOW it/what the hot topic of the apt will be, if any. My doctor likes it that way as well.

Gomer

liladieni replied to arealgijoe's response:
Good idea Gomer, I'll see about doing it that way next time around. Thanks!

betaquartz replied to arealgijoe's response:
My Dr. insists on doing it that way. It usually helps us to plan my strategies for the next 6 months.

arealgijoe replied to betaquartz's response:
Lila & BetaQ..........

Long ago the VA would have me come in and have labs dawn early in the AM for labs, before my Dr apt. Problem was most of the time the new labs, but the only available labs when I saw the doc were 6 mos old. A lot can change over 6mos time. Heck I have more than once had my BS fine in the AM and at or in the hospital later that same day.

I fail to see how a very meaningful apt can be done with out-of-date labs? Doing labs ahead of time so they can be available at the apt just seems common sense to me, then of course, if new or more labs are warranted, fine.

Gomer

nwsmom replied to mhall6252's response:
Try to get the errands (and Mom) done before the Neulasta. It may make you feel very fluish, achey and yucky, maybe even feverish. (Both my daughters reacted like that.) The reaction only lasts a day or so, fortunately.

Nancy

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.