Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sugars going up!
mimilove310 posted:
Hi! I'm new here. Was diagnosed with diabetes after my pregnancy 5 years ago. I've been on Metformin ever since. Recently (about a month ago) my sugars have been going up & staying up. Fasting at lowest has been 160 and at bedtime it's average of 250. I have been exercising (which USED TO help bring it down quickly),. but it's not working anymore. Also started taking Milk Thistle recently since I heard it helps with blood sugars.

Any ideas of why it's going up?

dianer01 responded:
Hi Mimilove:

You have taken a big step by acknowledging you have a concern. You say nothing about your diet...have you seen a dietician to help you with good choices? Are you still eating white bread, pasta and rice? Processed cereal for breakfast? Do you need to lose any weight?

Exercise is great and some of us do need meds to keep our blood glucose in check but you need to look at the whole picture. It may be time to schedule some time with your doctor or a diabetes educator. It sounds like you may have a young family and are probably busy, taking a few minutes to plan your weekly meals and make a shopping list may help wtih making healthy choices.

my best to you

mimilove310 replied to dianer01's response:
Hi DianeR01,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we do have a young family and my biggest problem is meal planning. I don't like meat, so dinners are especially hard for me as I tend to eat too much of the starches then
And having small energetic children who snack all day doesn't help either.

I pulled a few diabetic recipies and tried one today. Let's see how it goes!

Thanks,
Mimi

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Hi Mimi,

It's also possible that a medication that has been effective in the past stops working due to changes in your weight, metabolism, exercise levels or eating habits. Would you tell me a little more about how you are eating. Since you don't like meat, what are you substituting? I am not a huge meat fan either, although I do eat some; I try to make a number of meals vegetarian choices every week. I spent a number of years eating a completely vegetarian diet and since that time there are now a lot of soy, plant, and vegetable protein based foods that I didn't have years ago. For example, there is a brand called Quorn that is made from mushrooms and has been turned into a ground meat substitute (great for tacos, chilli, meat sauces), burgers, "chicken" patties and nuggets. I find that my hunger is more stable if I get enough protein in my diet and there are ways to do that without consuming meat. It is also important to limit carb portions (perhaps 45 grams per meal) and make them complex, such as brown rice and whole grain or low carb/high protein pastas in appropriate portions. Have you met with a dietitian to see what you might do with food choices to improve your blood glucose?

Milk thistle is known to help the liver heal when it is injured; I will have to do some reading but I have never seen it indicated for diabetes. There are supplements and herbals that have shown some evidence in helping to improve blood glucose, but I would recommend seeking the advice of a licensed practitioner such as a naturopath before taking these kinds of medications as they can have side effects and interactions with your metformin. Please don't get me wrong; I am a strong advocate of alternative medications as long as they are prescibed safely, have evidence of effectiveness (sometimes this means studies in Europe, where they are more commonly used), and are monitored to make sure they are notr causing harm.

Kind regards, Laurie

betaquartz replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
My wife is not a big fan of protein, as much as I am. I have been telling her for years she needs to eat a little more. Now all of the medical personnel that she comes in contact with are emphatically pushing protein. I have been pushing her more towards lean meats, and legumes, as the nuts are probably a no no at this point. Beans and such do create a lot more gas and noise than lean meat does with the ostomy!

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.