Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vision issues
jdetermann posted:
Hello Everyone,
I have Type 2 Diabetes. I have been having vision issues it seems like. I haven't been taking my meds recently due to a crisis at home. Do you think my vision issues are related to my diabetes or should I just go see an eye doctor?

dfoelker responded:
Yes, vision problems can definitely be caused by your diabetes. If my sugar is high, I can't see very well at all. You should always take your meds and not skip that is very important. I wouldn't discourage you from seeing an eye doctor as well, but try and get your sugar under control first and see where that gets you. Good luck!

DavidHueben responded:
JDetermann:

You should see an ophthalmologist for a thorough dilated eye exam. He/she can closely examine your retinas, check your intraocular eye pressures, and look for any signs of diabetes related eye disease.

You also need to check with your PCP about stopping your medications. That is never a good idea.

David
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston S. Churchill

arealgijoe replied to dfoelker's response:
YES, if your blood sugars are elivated, for any reason, it does affect your visual accuity, even w/o any diabetic eye damage.

My diabetes got out of control over 4yrs ago, and my ong time eye doc basicly kicked me out for it. He was mad I was not going to a specific endo, but refused to give me the needd referral. I had been going to him for well over 10 years. Turned out it was a good thing. I had 4 cataracts (a diabetes related and reg one in each eye) plus he had been MISSING totally 2 eye problems related to MS.

It can take a few weeks or so AFTER getting your diabetes in good control before your vision will stabalize, before seeing if you need new glasses. Don't wait to get get your eyes checked in case there is something more serious than accuity going on, so you may need do more than one eye doc apt.

Gomer ........ Like it is, like it or nay

artwalk replied to arealgijoe's response:
Having you eyes checked regularly by an opthalmologist is a good thing, but it won't neccessarily save your eyesight if you don't control your BGL's. I am type 2 and ended up very nearly losing my eyesight 8 years ago, when I was put on to insulin.

My reg opthalmologist referred my to a top opthalm surgeon when he noticed my eyes starting to deteriorate. The new op surgeon recommended I go onto insulin to get better control, my endo disagreed, but eventually gave in to the op surgeon on the insulin. They started me on very small dose, but my eyesight went completely haywire and my eyes started haemorrhaging blood through multiple blood vessel fractures. I was technically blind for several weeks. The op surgeon said that he had only ever seen one case of this before. He believed I was probably one in 10,000 to get this reaction to insulin, so how's my luck. It is something to be aware of however.

The net result of all this, was 4 major eye operations,plus 10 sessions of painfull lazer surgery to seal the blood vessels, a tramatic period lasting 9 months. I now have about 70% vision and it appears to have stabilized.

I had looked after my blood glucose levels pretty well for 20 years, but still got into eye trouble, so it's a bit of a lottery. I would ask a lot of questions of my endo and others before going onto insulin, because, as I said - I was started on extremely small doses but still ended up in serious trouble.

Sage12345 responded:
I have been wondering the same thing regarding eyesight. What exactly goes wrong with your eyes when you are diabetic and what are the symptoms?

I am pre-diabetic and have issues with my eyes. My vision is foggy sometimes and my vision changes throughout the day. Are these symptoms? My physician says I am too early stage to have any diabetic complications. The eye doctor says he can find nothing wrong. Its been bothering me for a couple years now.

Any advice would be appreciated

DavidHueben replied to Sage12345's response:
There are three principal eye diseases than have been associated with diabetes. Particularly in those people whose blood glucose is poorly controlled.

Those diseases are:

1. Cataracts. This is a progressive clouding of the lenses of the eye. It is reasonably easily corrected with eye surgery to replace the natural lenses with an intraocular lens implant (IOL).

2. Glaucoma. This occurs when the pressures in the eyes become elevated and the fluids of the eye fail to drain properly. In many cases, daily instillation of ophthalmic eye drops can reduce the eye pressures to normal levels.

3. Diabetic retinopathy. This a microvascular complication of the tiny blood vessels of the retina. It is sometimes treated with laser procedures or surgical intervention.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston S. Churchill

brunosbud replied to DavidHueben's response:
Excellent post. Thanks!

artwalk replied to Sage12345's response:
If you are getting "foggy vision" then you definitely have a retinopathy problem, which is minor blood vessel or capillary leakage at the back of the eye. It only takes a minor amount of blood to cause foggy vision, believe me, I went through it and it was what sent me off into the opthalmologist nightmare. It is all caused by elevated blood glucose levels (BGL's), and it appears that one of the first places to give into this, is the eyes. A good opthalmologist should be able to detect this condition, if the one you're seeing can't, see another one - NOW. If your control is tablets, it appears that at some point tablet control just doesn't work, unless you make major alterations to your diet and exercise regime. Good luck!

nwsmom replied to artwalk's response:
artwalk, we do not diagnose people's problems. Please refrain from doing it in the future.

DavidHueben replied to nwsmom's response:
I agree with Nancy. It would be impossible, even for a board certified ophthalmologist, to definitively conclude that someone has retinopathy over the Internet.

As I said previously, only a thorough, dilated eye exam with an ophthalmologist can diagnose your "cloudy vision" problem.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston S. Churchill

arealgijoe replied to artwalk's response:
Artwalk... ON, Optic neuritis can also cause foggy vision, among other things, like cataracts, hypertension. Diabetes is not the only thing that can cause retinopathy!

Laser eye treatments are fairly routine these days, the worst for me was having a blind area in the vision field of the zapped eye for a few hours afterwards. (they forget to tell me about that).

Gomer

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.