Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
powerAid Zero
Rita54636 posted:
A lady friend of mine has diabetes II. I think she drinks too much power aid zero. She drinks nothing but power aid zero. In the last few days, she has drank at least 6 32 oz of the power aid zero. She claims the diabete nurses say it's fime that she driks this, but I feel she is not being honest with the amount of the drink. Can anyone help set me straight on this? Thanks you all!!!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mrscora01 responded:
If it has no carbs in it, it's not any different than any other diet drink. While I am happy that you are concerned, there are few things more difficult for a diabetic person than the "diet police". People who care about us, but try to tell us what to do without really knowing all the ins and outs of living with this disease. I commend you for asking us. Thanks.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

mhall6252 responded:
Nothing wrong with those "0" calorie drinks, other than their impact on your wallet. If you can afford them, if you like them, and if they help you get your fluids without adding sugar, then it's not a bad thing.

Michelle

arealgijoe responded:
MY diabetes center dietician told me diet soda even was fine, considering I ahve diabetes, hypertension and CKD.

Problem may be OTHER things in some of those power drinks. There was a bit on TV jsut last evening about diet drink being bad for dieting...what? Seems that there are other side effect issue beside calries/carb that can make some people GAIN weight. No sure I understand it, but since I minimize diete drinks, gone to more WATER, better anyway, and have never tried ony of those power / energy drinks, I ahve not researched thme.

Good luck and MODERATION seems a better opetion, IMO.

Gomer

phototaker responded:
I went online to check up on this drink. The only negative I see is that it has 100 mg. of sodium. That's 600 mg. of sodium a day. Diabetics need less sodium in their diets, as some get high blood pressure. My diet Snapple drink has 5 mg. of sodium in each bottle. Her best bet is water, BUT if it's keeping her from eating high carb things or sweets, it's fine.

I think you should let her take care of herself.

NewdestinyX responded:
PowerAde Zero has actually made it possible for me to 'kik' my soda habit and have a 'flavorful' drink as a diabetic. I get heart palpitations from any nutrasweet products -- so the fact that PAZero uses SPLENDA is the added bonus and reason I went to it. It's got a little too much sodium but you could still drink 5 32oz a day and not be anywhere near the maximum daily recommended intake of sodium. If you're and ACTIVE diabetic like I am -- then it's a godsend for resetting electrolytes and replaces Gatorade all together...

I just wish they had more flavors. But PAZero is a GODSEND to many active diabetics (and non active). It's delicious (in that Gatorade sorta way). It's actually less 'salty' tasting than Gatorade. Just LOVE the stuff...

There is SOME data out there pointing to the fact that sugar substitutes can provoke a pancreatic response just like sugar. This is NOT the case for me. But I have heard others report such.

I don't see how it's 'chemically' possible. But I won't make any strong statements. PowerAdeZero is my 'water'. Our public water tastes SO FULL of chlorine I just can't drink it. I mean - I do.. I do think plain water is important in our diets.. But for me it's spring water or PAZero.

auriga1 responded:
No matter what amount of Powerade Zero your friend drinks, there are still ZERO carbs/sugars.

Even a regular Powerade has only 14gm of carbs per 8 oz. serving.

The only problem I would see is if your ladyfriend has a problem with salt intake. Like another poster stated, it does have 100mg of sodium per serving. It also has 25mg of potassium per serving. Powerade, like Gatorade, is formulated for those who exercise and play hard. Gatorade has a hold in the sports arena because of the sodium content. All that playing hard instigates a need to have those electrolytes replenished.

I thoroughly enjoy Powerade and have both the regular and Zero in my fridge; regular to keep my blood sugar up when I go bike riding.

As I said, the only problem would be if your lady friend has to reduce her sodium intake. Then water would be her best best.

arealgijoe replied to auriga1's response:
Chemicals and fake sweetners aside, 100 mg of sodiuim may not seem like much, but one has to count ALL the other sodium in their daily diet as well. A lot fo foods, especially processed stuff, can have tons of sodium in them.

I am supposed to limit my TOTAL daily sodium to 2,000, so 600 would be almost 1/3 of my daily total limit.

One size doe not fit all, you have to do what YOU (and Dr in some cases) consider best for YOU!

Gomer

brunosbud responded:
Zero calories safe? It's unanimous, right?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/diet-soda-may-be-making-you-fat-2504019/

...oops

phototaker replied to brunosbud's response:
Brunosbud...what's really funny is that the last few months I've been drinking one bottle of Diet Snapple a day. I used to only drink water, and an occasional diet Coke. I cut out the Diet Coke, because of bone loss, and started lately with the Diet Snapple. I DID notice feeling more hungry after drinking it, and have been wondering if this had anything to do with my weight gain lately. I've been blaming the Beta blockers or possibly the statins as a reason for my weight gain. I exercise A LOT, and kept gaining weight. I'm not sure what is causing the weight gain, but I have lost 2 lbs. in the last week. I have cut my statins way down to 20 mg. I was taking 80mg. I'm not eating any differently. I even cut my exercise down a little, wondering if I was exercising "too" much. What "if" it has been the diet Snapple I've had every day instead of water?

flutetooter replied to phototaker's response:
Photo, there was an article just yesterday about how much the waist size of a person expands from taking in any artificial sugar.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mhall6252 replied to flutetooter's response:
I just don't buy this argument. I suppose it's possible, but I think that, overall, people who switch to diet soft drinks are probably taking in less calories than they would otherwise.

This is like the news article I read yesterday that said women who sleep with light coming into their bedroom have more incidences of breast cancer than those who sleep in a dark room. Really?

Who pays for this research???

Michelle

phototaker replied to flutetooter's response:
Hmmm...I'm going to try an experiment and cut back on my diet Snapple drinking and see what happens.

brunosbud replied to mhall6252's response:
"...Who pays for this research???..."

The Water Companies?

phototaker replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle, the light thing makes sense if you look at it another way. I read that light at night affects your REM sleep. So if light is coming off your clock, your body is affected in that you don't go into REM sleep. "If" that research is true, and you don't go into that deep sleep, you "might" be affecting parts of your body, like the heart, etc. That's just my own "theory"...Who knows what really happens. I just know that when I don't sleep well, I can feel it in my body and how I function the next day. As far as causing breast cancer, that's anyone's guess what causes our bodies to react the way they do. You know I'm part of a study in my area researching why teachers in our area are more likely to get breast cancer. I volunteered for the study. I was asked ALL KINDS of questions, and monitored for four or five years(can't remember how long or what I was asked anymore.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.