Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Different glucose reading on different fingers?
diabetes_prone posted:
Hi, all, I used different blank test strips on different fingers within one minute and the results are different! How come? How reliable is this kind of test? I used Abbott FreeStyle Lite.

Take the Poll

Using test strips, if you've ever tested your glucose levels using different fingers at the same time, have you noticed any difference in readings?
  • Nope.
  • Sometime it's different but most time they're the same.
  • Mostly different.
  • Different everytime.
  • Different test strip brands have different readings.
vote
View Poll Results

DavidHueben responded:
I almost never re-test because I don't see the point. Two separate home tests can vary ?15% even when done at close points in time. That is the nature of home glucometers.

Which are you going to believe?

DMH

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston S. Churchill

mhall6252 responded:
I never re-test right away unless I get an "unbelievable" reading.

Michelle

phototaker replied to mhall6252's response:
Michelle, that's the only reason I retest, too. Once I got this really higher morning number, and I couldn't believe it. I retested and got 20 points lower. I used the same finger, and had washed my hands beforehand. Go figure. Test strips can be bi-polar sometimes!

DavidHueben replied to phototaker's response:
Photo:

How do you know that the lower reading or the higher reading is the correct one?

Given the inherent margin of error in home glucometers, either could have been accurate or neither was absolutely correct.

My suggestion in that situation is to take the two and split the difference. For example, if one test read 135 and the other was 155, call it 145 and move on.

DMH
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston S. Churchill

laura2gemini2 responded:
Home testing kits are more for finding a good average, not for anything really precise. If I get something really high (over 300) or something really low (under 50) I'll retest. Usually its near the same number, within 20. Now, if it's something like 100 off the original number, than I know something is wrong, and I'll callibrate my meter.

davedsel57 responded:
You ask 'how come'. The answer to that is all readings of bodily functions (blood glucose, blood pressure, heart rate, pulse, etc.) are constantly fluctuating in every human being. You will get different readings each time you test.

Everyone has given excellent advice but I just thought I would add my 2 cents.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, Dave

arealgijoe replied to davedsel57's response:
I will qualify my "nope"...........

If I get an unexpected high reading... I use a different finger, meter AND strip lot # That way I can eliminate contamination, meter and strip variances all in one move.

If I get a LOW reading, I TREAT IT and question it later.

I have had both happen on a road trip. I had lunch with a friend in Tampa, bolused for my meal......then we had desert. OUCH.. I forgot to bolus and was hitting the head again before I got very far from the restraunt. I did not even meter, I just bolused for the coconut cream pie.

Another time, couple years ago I stopped at a Wendy's. I got my order and sat down to eat. I always test before a meal. BINGO I tested a 50 w/o and Sx. I immediatly went back to the counter and got a FROSTY! I do not take chances on the road... better to be a little high than go over and out.

Gomer

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.