Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Type 2 + Vegan Diet
justokinde posted:
I've read a few articles and books that advocate a Vegan diet for diabetics. It's starting to make sense, but I'm having a hard time finding anyone who knows how to go about this. With my Type 2 not very well controlled, I want to try the dietary approach. Even the library had minimal information. I could use some direction!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

nutrijoy responded:
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.fitsugar.com/5-Books-About-Veganism-17796765
Kathy Freston's "Veganist" book was extremely popular in our area. There is one major caveat in adopting a vegan diet that many diabetics seem to overlook: vegetables also contain carbs and it is the carbs that are going to drive your blood glucose levels up. Portion control is just as important as in any other dietary plan and you do have to watch your total carb consumption carefully. Also, some veggies will have a much higher glycemic load when cooked than when eaten raw. Two vegetables that come to mind in particular are yams and carrots. Eaten raw, I am able to eat small portions and still maintain very good control over my BG levels (my A1c is currently 5.3). When cooked, I can't eat either vegetable in any meaningful amount unless I also increase my insulin dosage to compensate.

justokinde replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thanks so much for your guidance. Very much appreciated.

13lorraine responded:
You need to read Neal Barnard's Reversing diabetes.
Since going on his vegan diet I have lost weight and keep my blood sugar under 6. My A1C dropped by half to 5.2 and my blood pressure is now normal.
I also recommed Kathy Freston's book as well as Becoming Vegan By Brenda Davis & Vesanto Melina book.
But Please read any of Barnard's books

An_228426 responded:
Try the book The Veganist. Easy approach at how to start using a vegan diet. Family friendly as well. Can't remember the name of the author, but it has also been well received by nutritionists. Good luck!

DavidHueben responded:
I guess this comes down to whether someone wishes to follow a vegan lifestyle. I am unwilling to give up all animal products, including meat, fish, poultry, cheese, dairy products, leather shoes, my leather desk chair and my recliner, and my leather bomber jacket.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston S. Churchill

auriga1 replied to DavidHueben's response:
LOL. Sorry but I did snicker at your response. Still snickering. I'm not made to eat or do vegan either. It's so restrictive. I've even tried doing vegetarian, but that never lasted long, believe me. Tofu for protein made me gag the first time I tried it. People were telling me try it this way or that way. It didn't matter. It's liking eating paste out of a jar that's grown old.

Only my own humble opinion...

mhall6252 replied to DavidHueben's response:
I, too, am an omnivore, well except for tofu!!! ! I like my meat and cannot imagine never having another steak.

I've lost 35 pounds in the last 10 years and my last a1c was 5.3. There's more than one way to skin this cat called Type 2 Diabetes!

Michelle

betaquartz replied to mhall6252's response:
Add one more to the omnivore list. I still love my meats, but eat less than I used to. I have opted for more lean protein, and less red meat than before limiting it to 0nce or twice a month, but give me meat over tofu any day.

All_is_One replied to betaquartz's response:
fish is a good substitute for many meats out there! beans are very good for controlling glucose levels in the blood, but always portion control when one has any diabetes.

i myself do not have diabetes but I am learned enough about this horrible disease that I am doing what I can now to prevent this from ever happening. I am 24, 5'10'', and weigh 140 flat.

just today i had ramen noodles for lunch.... but wait, i added about a cup or so of beans and threw in about a cup or so of cooked broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

i know that since my blood sugar is most likely fairly even I do not have to worry so much about portion control. I am at a job where I can walk up to 6 miles a day and I do resistance training as well so that probably more than helps to burn off any possible excess weight gain. I do not drink soda except every now and then and even then its only about half a can. My biggest downfall is sweets, especially chocolate and pastries... yum!

I'm not here trying to bolster my self esteem or make anyone feel horrible about themselves. i'm trying to give encouragement to people who feel they are left out from eating the junk food and letting you know I'm trying to be right there with ya, eating the 'nasty' vegetables (which i think are freaking delicious!)

anyway, blessings to everyone here!

betaquartz replied to All_is_One's response:
And then maybe you misunderstood me. I love my meat, but now my plate is 1/2 of veggies maybe more, 1/4 or 3/8s of lean protein, and maybe 1/8 of grain. Even then I get most of my carbs from the veggies and some fruit each day. In the end I don't miss much at all, and am much healthier because of it. Hmmm when I was married at 24, I weighed in at 125, and was 5'9" by most standards considered a bone rack. Never more than 180 at may heaviest. 34 inch waist most of my life. Now a 30.

engineerguy responded:
Hi JustoKinde,

13Lorraine's advice to read Dr. Neal Barnard's books, is excellent advice.

I've followed Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live program for 4 years. Dr. Fuhrman is very similar to Dr. Barnard, Ornish, Esselstyn, McDougall, and Nathan Pritikin. The success of any one of these very similar and excellent programs, supports the success of all of them. The Pritikin Longevity Center, run by board certified physicians, has been open for over 30 years, treated over 100,000 people, and has published over 100 articles in peer reviewed medical and nutritional journals. They have published that 40% of insulin dependent diabetics, get off insulin (with better controlled glucose than upon admission on insulin) during their stay at the Pritikin center (see references at www.pritikin.ORG ). 70% of oral medication patients, get off their medications, during their stay.

I am not diabetic, myself. I am following this program to prevent heart disease, diabetes, etc. I have myself attended the excellent Pritikin Longevity Center. I followed the Pritikin program for 30 years, and changed to Fuhrman Eat To Live for the last 4 years. In my opinion, Dr. Fuhrman has improved upon these other excellent programs.

Dr. Dansinger, who moderates this board, has worked with Dr. Ornish with diabetic patients, and seen excellent results.

The essence of these programs is not being "vegetarian". That's only part of it.

Years ago, I would have scoffed at the suggestion to become vegan. Now I are one. Or at least, a near vegan.

Dr. Fuhrman offers a different point of view. (And I have always beeen amazed at Fuhrman's insights.) Fuhrman points out that rich foods have addictive properties. He offers a 6 week program to break our food addictions, and come to fully love and enjoy delicious veggies, fruit, beans, nuts and seeds and some whole grains. And to my amazement and self bemusement, I do. In the last few years, nutrition science has learned that these are the most nutritious and health promoting foods, full of antioxidants and phytochemicals, and conquering inflammation, free radicals, and metabolic waste products. None of these food have the addictive triggers that make us want to overeat past our natural hunger. So, this diet does not require will power to maintain (unless you are surrounded by people eating pizza, steak or ice cream (substitute your favorite rich food). Gone are all the high glycemic index foods, the acid metabolism producing foods, and the foods promoting diabetes. And it works. (All you have to do is read the $10 book.)

In this short message I can only hope be informative, and to encourage you to read the book Eat To Live, just published revised edition from January 2011. Please check out many success stories, etc etc on www.drfuhrman.com and www.diseaseproof.com and the other websites below.

Other valuable web sites include:

www.pmri.org (Dr. Ornish),

www.nealbarnard.org (Dr. Neal Barnard)

www.heartattackproof.com (Dr. Esselstyn, the best medically documented treatment for heart disease.)

www.drmcdougall.com (Dr. McDougall)

www.pritikin.ORG and www.pritikin.com

Another valuable web site:

www.vegsource.com

I spend most of my time at the board http://exchanges.webmd.com/heart-health-fuhrman-ornish

Best regards, EngineerGuy

dianer01 replied to engineerguy's response:
Thanks for weighing in EngineerGuy,

I too am an omnivor but I know you and others have had good results with Dr Furhmans diet.

I appreciate what you have to contribute.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.