Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dr. Dansinger
alliej0225 posted:
Dr. Dansinger,
Will you please read my discussion on "I am so discouraged" alliej0225 and let me know what I should do. Or just give me a suggestion. I can't get an answer from any health professional here, other than go to the er and that's a joke around here.

Thanks,

DavidHueben responded:
Allie:

One of the biggest concerns when people are stung by insects can be anaphylaxis. But, the symptoms typically occur rapidly and require immediate treatment.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anaphylaxis/DS00009

Since it has been 48 hours since you were stung, it is probably unlikely you are having an anaphylatic reaction.

Insect stings, because they are a venomous bite, will sometimes cause swelling, inflammation, localized pain, and general malaise. The symptoms can continue for several days.

My best suggestion for today would be to ice the affected area(s), take an NSAID like ibuprofen (Advil) to reduce the inflammation, and get rest and good nutrition.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston S. Churchill

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.