Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dehydration
4everChristian posted:
My mom has had diabetes for 8 or so years and for the past few months, she has been dehydrated to where she drinks four or so waters before lunch. She only drinks water, carbonated water (no sugar), and unsweet tea (occasionally). Does anyone know why this would be? Thank you! GOD bless

davedsel57 responded:
There could be any number of reasons causing this potentially dangerous condition. What does your mom's doctor say about this? Your mom needs medical attention asap if she has not been to her doctor yet.
Blessings, Dave

mhall6252 responded:
I drink that much water or other liquids before lunch, if that is your concern. I am not dehydrated, just trying to keep very well hydrated. What does your mom drink the rest of the day? Her choices sound just fine. What is is that makes you think mom is actually, truly dehydrated?

Michelle

betaquartz responded:
What goes in must come out, but sometimes the going out is higher than the going in. Is she on any other drugs or changed anything in her eating, or other health habits?

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Hi,

I agree with the question, what makes you think she's dehydrated? Is she drinking because she feels thirsty? If that's the case then it could be due to poorly controlled blood glucose. Does she test at home? If so, are her numbers higher than usual? She should have some goal numbers recommended by her health care provider and if she is outside those goals she should take her results to her provider and discuss them. Take care, Laurie

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.