Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Peripheral Neuropathy without diabetes?
Anon_234374 posted:
Hi. I have NOT been diagnosed with diabetes, though each time I was pregnant I was always borderline.
However, for the past 8 years, I have suffered from peripheral neuropathy that no doctor has been able to understand or control.
I am 100 lbs. overweight, which is know is a problem. I have problems with binge eating, especially sugars. I borrowed my mom's diabetes glucose monitor today. Four hours after having a bowl of ice cream, my blood sugar was still 147. Later, we went for Chinese food. One & 1/2 hours after dinner, my level was 126. 2 & 1/4 hours after it went up to 131. I'm just wondering if perhaps my sugar levels are affecting my nerves, even though they have never categorized me as diabetic before. Perhaps my binging has done more damage than I realized.

mhall6252 replied to scorpion07's response:
Good advice!

In the meantime, read the tips and discussions under Dr. Dansinger's picture on the right side of this page. This will help you get a head start on better health.

Michelle

dianer01 responded:
Anon:

It sounds like you have a lot going on and need to make some serious lifestyle changes. That said, neuropothy can be caused by different things. I have neuropothy in my feet caused by nerve damage from a ruptured disk in my lower back. In my case, the area affected will not increase or spread. I do find if I am not controlling my blood glucose carefully the level of "annoyance" will increase. As will my general sense of well-being decrease.

Have you had any type of neurological or orthopedic work up done? Have you had a thourough check up including A1c done recently? It is probably time.

In the mean time, you are taking random blood glucose tests and they are somewhat meaningless. What would be more telling would be to test fasting, first thing in the morning and testing consistantly 2 hrs after your meal and keeping a food diary. If you do either of these you will have some strong evidence of your blood glucose history to share with your doctor.

If you have not done so already I urge you to get a thourough check up, possibly looking for a new doctor and you may even want to consider some counseling to help you understand some of your motivations and actions.

my best to you

di

rivory1 replied to dianer01's response:
Thank you everyone. I agree with all of you completely. To answer some of your questions:
1. I had extensive tests done by a neurologist. All of them came back normal. I DO have two ruptured discs in my neck, but was told that they would not cause neuropathy in ALL of my limbs, so that was not related. They said I was one of the 80% who never find out what it is caused by.
2. I have been seeing a therapist who is very good for quite awhile. I used to binge regularly, now it is pretty rare. I'm getting there, but must admit, not as quickly as I should.
3. My doctor has done diabetes blood work on me every year and it comes back in the normal range. That's why I didn't worry about that. But the more I study, the more I realize that though I may not be "officially" diabetic, I'm definitely playing with fire here.
My plan is to study diabetes and begin a diabetes lifestyle starting NOW. I believe it's the right thing for my body and it's time to face the music.
I really appreciate your responses. You've confirmed what I already guessed. THANK YOU!

brunosbud responded:
"...even though they have never categorized me as diabetic before..."

I'm praying you find a doctor, soon, that will tell you how sick you really are...

DavidHueben responded:
Rivory1:

Although you have never been diagnosed with diabetes does not preclude that possibilty now. Everyone who has diabetes now was also undiagnosed until that one blood test.

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston S. Churchill

rivory1 replied to DavidHueben's response:
I have an appointment with an endocrinology center in one week. They'll do the 2 hours OGTT and we'll go from there. Thanks again everyone.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.