Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Type 1 Diabetes / ADHD
chamner posted:
I have been Diabetic for 10 years and have just been diagnosed with ADHD. I have been complaining to my Endocrinologist for years since I first was diagnosed with Diabetes about my inability to follow eating schedules and ability to take the proper amount of insulin. So far I have wrecked approximately 11 cars from low blood sugars. I have had the ambulance called to my residence / work at least 30 times for low blood sugars. I am so angry on why doctors do not want to identify this problem and address it.... My life has been pure hell since I was been diagnosed with diabetes and just 3 months ago I had a severe low blood sugar that cause me to lose my memory due to dementia. Now I am prescribed Adderall since I lied to the Doctor about my preexisting conditions, prior I told a doctor that I was on Insulin and he refused to allow my to get on Adderall, which in that time span has caused me to suffer from multiple low sugars / dementia / etc... Why doesn't anyone want to identify this 2 fold health problem?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry for all you are going through. I must admit that I am confused by your post - do you have ADHD or Dementia? These are two separate conditions and would be treated differently.

The bottom line, though, is working with your doctor to develop an effective treatment plan for both conditions. Lying to your doctor is not the best approach. Be honest and tell him/her everything and you will get the help you need.
Blessings, Dave

DavidHueben responded:
With so many problems like wrecking 11 or so cars, 30 times in an ambulance, an inability to follow medical orders or properly administer your insulin, dementia, and hypoglycemia, I doubt anyone here can give you much direction.

Also, lying to your doctor is not a good practice, just to get prescribed a medication that might be contraindicated. In fact, it is just plain dangerous.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston S. Churchill

Loralu49 responded:
Wow, its scarey to know your on the road. Sorry, but besides putting yourself in danger - you are putting all those around you at risk as well. I wish you the best in getting answers - but hope you do the right thing by telling your doctor what is going on.

reitze responded:
The best I could offer you is NUTRITION and TESTING. Get test-strips in bulk and use them to verify any food your not sure about - watch out for any "glucose blasts" - that causes the high-low swing and also increases the insulin resistance. The rest of your challenges I only have sympathy and prayr - good-luck/God-bless!

mhall6252 replied to reitze's response:
Reitze - you really are a "one trick pony". You give the exact same advice to everyone, regardless of the circumstances. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

While I totally agree with avoiding glucose blasts, your advice to get test strips in bulk (like from eBay) makes absolutely no sense, especially for people who have insurance. First of all, most people cannot afford to buy 1000 test strips at a time. And second, your advice to test every 20 minutes is just impractical, unnecessary and mostly painful.

While I think it's great that you "think" you have reversed your diabetes, you have no medical confirmation of this reversal. You say you haven't been to the doctor in years, you've not had any labwork that would confirm your reversal, so it's very difficult to believe your claims.

Michelle

reitze replied to mhall6252's response:
That maybe true - you may find my claim hard to believe. But I don't need "medical confirmation" to prove the obvious when the BG meter does the same.

Its also not worth spending money to "prove" it to you either. Unless you were there for the lab-test how would you REALLY know anyway. Best I'm willing to do for you is write another post and here's an image of my thumb with a test-reslut (was for the prick-spot post) . I do consistantly get numbers in the 95-100 range except right after meals (ate lentils about 1/2 hour ago and now its 186).

People may not choose to buy 1000 test strips either - I've never claimed my approach/recommendation was the only way to reverse type 2.

I DO SAY ITS REVERSIBLE for at least some people and that I"VE REVERSED IT. I've also pointed to DeWayne McCulty's work where many others make the same claims - with the diet-based approach.

Oh and I do think the medication-1st PUSHED by many doctors is more dangerous than dietary-change-1st. Like I've seen people shooting up insulin and then eating cookies to counter-balance the effects. Better would be less severe use of both drugs and challenging foods.

reitze replied to reitze's response:
I do consistantly get numbers in the 95-100 range except right after meals (ate lentils about 1/2 hour ago and now its 186).
NOW, after another 40 minutes my # is 97.

betaquartz replied to reitze's response:
Hmmm I guess different strokes for different folks does not pertain here? I have not had diabetes for long-2 years. I have reversed it, or as I call it walked away from it. I tested myself the last time about 1 year ago. I didn't test often up until then, only when curious or not feeling well. My A1C is 5.8, fasting last time was 82. I did things in this manner as my Dr. recommended it. In the beginning I tested about 4 times a day, then less learning very little other than with exercise and diet the numbers went down. So what do I do now? Exercise and watch my diet.

phototaker responded:
Chamner, I "think" there is some medication for adult ADHD.
There are also classes in meditation, breathing exercises, and relaxation that might help calm down impulses, hyperactivity or other symptoms you may manifest with ADHD. There are also techniques to use to help you function better with directions, such as a quiet room(where you can take your medicine with no distractions).

I too am concerned about you being in a car driving. You can kill someone else, not just yourself. It's almost like drinking and driving. You KNOW there's a possibility this could happen. Yes, I understand you need to drive. Maybe looking for train or buses would be a better idea.

How frustrating that you weren't listened to and need to have the Adderall. Did the doctor not prescribe it for a good reason as drug interactions?

I would see a different doctor if this is not working for you. Were you ever on oral medicines? Was your blood sugar really high all the time. Maybe your insulin has to be adjusted. This needs to be taken care of. I hope a new doctor can help you better. Good luck! Don't drive!

hootyowl2 replied to phototaker's response:
Adderall is one of the meds responsible for my son's death. Not sure it was on the coroner's report, but I have not been able to read it yet. That stuff is legalized METH... [that and a half sis who harrassed him to death>

When you do get off of it, be very careful as it is addicting.

hootyowl2 replied to reitze's response:
reitz,

If your numbers yo-yo like that, you are NOT reversed at all. You are not eating properly and probably have another problem or problems causing your erratic numbers. Lentils are good, wholesome food; however, you need at least 3 or 4 good carbs with your meals also to stabilize your blood sugars. Your body cannot live without carbs. Protiens are good and necessary, but not a complete meal, and certainly not in excess as that quack Dr Atkins procliamed. Your brain needs carbs to function properly and live, as does the rest of your body.

I have a friend who used to brag about his diabetes being "reversed". It was NOT, and he was not even checking his numbers except at his checkups. A few years ago HE HAD A MASSIVE HEART ATTACK and nearly died. His heart is so badly damaged that his docs have told him the next one will kill him before he hits the ground. He paranoid about taking insulin for some reason he refuses to explain [he is paranoid about many things>, and I am not sure he even takes his meds properly.

All diabetics need to be careful of their diets, but a no carb diet is not healthful for anyone.

Hooty

hootyowl2 responded:
chamner,

Driving for you is not a safe option. My doctor told me to quit driving back in 06 when I passed out behind the wheel and came to in the wrong lane with several cars coming at me. I listened to her and have not driven since. There are medical rides to take you to your doctor appointments; family and friends can take you shopping, to church or whatever. I am surprised that the police have not yanked your license. Driving while impaired is a criminal offense. I am surprised that you are not in jail for the accidents you have caused.

A friend of mine recently lost her husband due to a careless and impaired driver's mistakes, and I hope they throw the book at that driver. He even left the scene and tried to cover up the evidence.

If your sugars are so unstable for any reason, you have no business driving!

My black outs are from seizures, but it doesnt matter what causes them.

1. STOP driving please! and 2. Tell the TRUTH to your doctors.

Hooty

phototaker replied to hootyowl2's response:
Hooty...I just read and found out that Adderall is used for ADHD.
Thanks for the information. So sorry about your son again. It's always good to check out any drugs and interactions with other medicines before taking.

I had a LONG fight with the regular doctor before he retired about taking Fosamax for my oseopenia. After reading many, many horror stories, I decided not to take it, even after being reassured by someone who worked in a bone clinic. Now we're finding out that long term use of Fosamax causes small fractures, just what I'm trying to avoid. I'm so thankful I followed my gut feelings about this, and upped my Vitamin D, calcium, and doing weight bearing exercises, instead of taking this drug. I also know I don't tolerate drugs that well,(allergies) and I have a problem with my esophagus flap not closing right, so any chance of that drug coming up, could have caused more problems for the esophagus, which they're finding out now, too. Sometimes you have to trust those gut feelings!

dasindeficit replied to davedsel57's response:
Guess what Dave? You couldn't be more mistaken. My endo knows I have ADD and my psych knows I'm diabetic. My endo tells me to write everything down and when I explaiined that I have a hard time remembering and sometimes forget the time I ate something (2 hours ago?) his response is like, "how can I help you if you're not gonna cooperate?" Like a lot of people, including doctors, ADD is just an excuse for not getting it done.
I've been to a lot of endos over the years -- I'm 59 and had T1D since I was 8. Not much difference. They just want you to keep the numbers down (A1C, cholesterol, blood sugars, weight, etc.) and come back in 3 months. My biggest fear is going into a coma from low blood sugar and spending the remainder of my life in a hospital bed. The doctors and the hospital would make out like bandits and my husband would be financially ruined. On the good side, he and my son would be allowed to come and visit my corpse until the docs decided to do the right thing and pull the plug.
Blessings? Are you kidding me, Dave? People like you throw that word around like it's worth something. All the prayers and blessings in the world will not change the fact that God sees thousands of innocent children die every day from starvation and disease and does nothing. Kind of like you Dave. It's pretty easy to say "I'll pray for you". Costs nothing, and you don't even have to get up from your chair.
Spare me the blessings Dave.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.