Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Lyme Disease and blood sugar
flutetooter posted:
There seems to be a connection between EVERYTHING and blood sugar! The latest with me is Lyme disease (deer tick-carried bacteria). Two weeks ago I had scheduled a doctor's appointment to try to figure out why my blood sugars were going up slightly with the same eating and exercise patterns, and the fact that I was getting "loopy" "brain fog" an hour after eating normal amounts of low glycemic carbs. I also had begun having intense leg cramps/nerve zaps in one leg that lasted from 3 to 9 hours each night preventing me from even lying down. It felt better to keep upright and moving and no usual pain killers or muscle stretches helped. The next day I had some blood tests, including an A1c (which was 6.3, up from the previous of 5.7), and also some added autoimmune conditions tests, including Lyme disease at my insistance since we have numerous ticks here in the dunes. I am a gardener and can't escape them, or even find them until they attach and bite because the kind that carries Lyme disease is the size of a poppy seed in its nymph stage.

To make a long story short, I tested positive for Lyme on the local test and in the test sent to Mayo's to confirm it. The happy part of this saga----other than the leg pains and being tired, I have no symptoms and and tolerate the doxycycline well. Even happier (and the whole point of this story), after 1 week on the meds, my blood sugar dropped 10 points fasting, rarely goes up high after meals, and I can go longer between meals without feeling "low". I guess it's all connected. I will remain on the meds for 3 weeks total to prevent complications. Lyme is a horrid disease and can affect every part of the body and even be fatal.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

phototaker responded:
Flutetooter, I have photography and hiking friends that "always" make light of the fact I "worry" about ticks. I just spray my pant legs and jacket if I'm in a high tick area. I have friends check me over. I know someone who got very sick from a tick bite, so I'm extra careful. Thanks for sharing your story. It makes me know that I'm doing the right thing for myself.

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Hi, glad you found the answer! This doesn't surpise me a bit, because of the stress physiologically on your body. Any infection will do this, and this is especially true if you have a fever, which is typical of the tick illnesses. These include Lyme, Babesisia, and Anaplasma (Erlichia). You are absolutely right on to watch for ticks after any outdoor activities! Take care, Laurie

DoloresClaesson replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
'Lymies...I would get all these tests...Western Blot for Borrelia, also test for Borrelia hermsii, and Babesia duncani and microti and Quest can test for duncani, Bartonella henselae and quintana, Brucella, Tularemia, Coxiella burnetti or Q fever, many rickettsias ie Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Typhus, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma phagocytophilum, EBV, CMV, all Coxsackie viruses, and now Powassan virus and its cousin Deer Tick Virus, HSV 1 and 2, HHV 1-8 if available. Parvovirus B -19 papillomaviruses, Toxoplasmosis, Chlamydias and Mycoplasmas and get genetic tests for hypercoagulation like Mthfr and Factor V leiden, and test all your IgG subclasses 1-4, and CD 57 and C3a and C4a and CBS mutations and HPU/KPU and mold testing since so many of us have issues with mold. ECP or eoisonophil cationic protein seems to suggest to docs that you have babesia. Also transfer growth factor b-1 and Beta Strep. High CD 57 counts may be associated with Beta Strep. Heavy metals have a part in this and we are low in Secosteroid D or vitamin D and some are low in Potassium and others iron. Many are deficient in all amino acids. Our hormones are a mess and the whole HPA Hypothalmic pituitary axis is the problem. We can have probs with our adrenals and thryoid...we do not convert T4 to T3 and in my case I have high reverse T3 or rT3. We are quite low in testosterone as well. Check out every hormone in your body, amino acids and vitamins and minerals. There are over 100 viruses we can get from a tick and also many parasites. The labs that insurance covers can't find a parasite when we can see it under the microscope. Quest at Nichols Institute in Valencia California can culture samples and might even be able to distinguish Brucella suis from melitensis or arbortus. We also need an MRI of our brain with and without contrast. Many lymies are showing up with pituitary adenomas and pheomchromocytomas. Make sure that you do not have these. I have spent years trying to figure out what is in us and so far this is what I have seen. Unfortunately when your physician may take years to order all the necessary tests. Make sure you get tested sooner rather than later. One more thing .....you may get tested for Brucella today and 2 years from now may show up IgM positive. The immune system is overwhelmed with all these pathogens.'See More

DoloresClaesson responded:
Disease precautions for hunters
www.avma.org
A general guide about zoonotic and other diseases that hunters and their hunting dogs may encounter, including CWD (chronic wasting disease), leptospirosis, Lyme disease, trichinellosis, and many other diseases

• [Sero-epidemiological studies of zoonot... [Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2003> - PubMed - NCBI www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov PubMed comprises more than 21 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.

• Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
    WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.