Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Test result confusion
Anon_237334 posted:
I am a diabetic and have been for over 10 years. My recent test results were:

Microalbumin, UR,QN detection limit from 761.7 to 1782.1 in 6 months.
Creatinine, Urine from 122.7 to 240.2 in 6 months.
Microalbumin/Creatinine from 620.8 to 741.9 in six months.

I'm told that an increase of 1000 is not reason for concern, but an increase of 5-6,000 would be. Also since my Micoalbumin/Creatinine is basically unchanged I should not worry and will be tested again in 6 months. Is this reasonable and logical? I'm new to this particular test and the results. Thanks.

mhall6252 responded:
I think you've stumped most of us. It's not often that someone posts a question that no one seems to be able to answer. Perhaps one of our medical experts could tackle this one.

Are you in the US? I wonder if the units of measure are different than what we normally see? Here's a website that can help with interpretation, but I don't know if you'll find exactly the information you are looking for

http://labtestsonline.org/

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to call your doctor and ask for a bit more detail.

Good luck!

Michelle
Michelle Diabetic since 5/2001 Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com Smile and the world smiles with you.

DoloresTeresa replied to mhall6252's response:
I just looked up microalbuminuria. Under treatment they say to increase fruits and vegetables and whole grains like (brown rice); and to reduce (I would eliminate) protein (I am sure they mean animal), salt and fat. If you are a member of this group you probably don't want to hear this. Whole grains and vegetables, fruits and beans are good for diabetics. I have been eating this way with diabetes for 20 years--blood pressure and blood sugar fine-no meds.

There is a website Sodiumgirl.com by someone who had lupus, got damaged kidneys, was on dialysis and on the list for a transplant. She says she got off dialysis and off the transplant list by eliminating salt from her diet. I don't think she went far enough because she didn't eliminate meat and oil. I don't know about cheese.

Dolores

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.