Skip to content
Recovery Drink for Diabetes
ManiRGS posted:
I started my p90X workout last week after consulting my doctor. After the first day of workout, my group suggested a recovery drink and it felt good the next day. Day before yesterday, I was browsing through the nutrition information of the contents of the recovery drink and I saw couple of them had 20g of sugar. I was worried.
Can anyone suggest any recovery drink for diabetes after workout like p90x.
The drink that we make currently has the following.
10 oz water
2 oz orange juice
1 tsp A-AKG (arginine)
1 tsp L-Glutomine
1 scoop Accelerade Orange
1 scoop of 100% vanilla whey protein

Thanks

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Would Gatorade G2 work for you? It has 20 calories ad 5 grams of carbs (sugar) per 8 ounce serving. Not sure if you can use this as a "recovery drink". My family and I use this if any of us have a stomach virus.

Here is a link to the information regarding G2: http://www.gatorade.com/default.aspx#product?s=g2

Good luck.
Blessings,

Dave

auriga1 responded:
Do not know what you are referring to there, but why do you need a recovery drink? Just asking.

You're right to worry about the 20 grams of carbs, unless - unless your sugar drops after the workout. Your post is non-specific as to how you treat your diabetes, whether exercise and diet along, with meds and/or insulin.

I am not familiar with "recovery" drinks. The only thing I bring with me to exercise is Powerade. I use insulin and my BS has a tendency to drop 50 or more points while exercising.

Powerade also comes with zero sugar. Powerade Zero.

Maybe someone will stop by who uses "recovery" drinks.

ami_nix responded:
My SO drinks recovery and energy drinks and I'm pretty sure he accidently got a Rockstar recovery that was no carbs. It may have been another brand that they sell at the convenience stores. I had a taste and it was pretty good if you like diet soda. Not sure if that's the same thing you are talking about but, I thought I'd share
Noah's Mom~"Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you." - Robert Fulghum

ManiRGS replied to ami_nix's response:
Thanks all for the response. The suggestion of Powerade and Gatorade is for drinking during the exercise. The recovery drink is after the workout. P90X is a heavy workout and will wear out your muscles and for recovering those the muscles need lot of protein and a recovery drink is recommended. This will start to help your muscles to recover when you are resting/sleeping at night. For normal workouts like treadmill, walking or jogging you dont need the recovery drink and Gatorade/Powerade will work, but for heavy workouts (not during but after heavy workouts), a recovery drink is recommended.
Thanks everyone for your tips.

davedsel57 replied to ManiRGS's response:
You would then do better to use Yahoo or Google search to find specific "Recovery Drinks" for diabetics, or post your question on the WebMD Fitness & Exercise Community here: http://exchanges.webmd.com/fitness-and-exercise-exchange
Blessings,

Dave

davedsel57 replied to davedsel57's response:
Sorry, I just saw that you did post in that community and got an answer. Very good.
Blessings,

Dave

JillForest responded:
Sorry this is a little off topic but I was wondering how your experience was with px90 ?? I just checked bout the website and it seems legit. And did you buy one of the kits that came with it?? Thank in advance!

An_245101 replied to JillForest's response:
Sorry Jill He made only 2 discussions one year ago and has not been back since. I doubt he will be back to answer your question.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.